ighea

PaPiRus Zero – ePaper / eInk Screen pHAT not functioning

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:32 am

I recently bought the Papirus' eInk screen and I having propably a hardware problem it with out of the box.
https://thepihut.com/products/papirus-z ... 8041609745

Simply put the eInk screen does not seem to get updated with the content I try to push into it. Just stays completely white.

I have set up a fresh Raspian lite with the quick setup script at https://github.com/PiSupply/PaPiRus after initially noticing the problem. I have enabled the i2c and SPI interfaces and all commands seem to execute just fine except the screen just stays white.

I have tested the pHat on Raspberry Pi Zero and Raspberry Pi 3 with same results.
The five buttons on the board and the temperature sensor seem to be working fine. papirus-temp outputs current temperature on terminal and papirus-buttons when run with strace shows button presses being detected.
epd-fuse daemon is running and I can see the file listing shown below for /dev/epd/.
I have confirmed that the jumper is at correct pin position for the screen size.

Code: Select all

# find /dev/epd/
/dev/epd/
/dev/epd/BE
/dev/epd/BE/current
/dev/epd/BE/current_inverse
/dev/epd/BE/display
/dev/epd/BE/display_inverse
/dev/epd/LE
/dev/epd/LE/current
/dev/epd/LE/current_inverse
/dev/epd/LE/display
/dev/epd/LE/display_inverse
/dev/epd/current
/dev/epd/current_inverse
/dev/epd/display
/dev/epd/display_inverse
/dev/epd/panel
/dev/epd/command
/dev/epd/temperature
/dev/epd/version

Code: Select all

root@rpi-zero2:/proc/device-tree# sudo papirus-write "Hello"
Writing to Papirus.......
Finished!
root@rpi-zero2:/proc/device-tree#
I have also made sure that the connection cable between the board is set up right way and tried to replug it multiple times (while Pi is off in between) pointlessly.

So in the end this comes to the following guestions:
How can I check that the eInk display is properly detected?
Is there any actual way to determine whether the display or module is broken or not?
Should detection of the phat create /proc/device-tree/hat as that is not currently happening for me?

The board arrived with blank screen originally and is version 1.2.

Thank you for everyone who could bring some light to the issue.

DougieLawson

Re: PaPiRus Zero – ePaper / eInk Screen pHAT not functioning

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Contact The Pi Hut and see if you can RMA it. At a guess it's a faulty unit.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

ighea

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Thank you for your reply. Contaning the Pihut for RMA was my original plan, but before it I also send an email to the company behind the Papirus screen itself without response after couple working days.

I was wishing for some insight that could so which part of the device is faulty, if any.

I assumed based on videos and blog posts on the Internet that getting this thing work originally should be almost as simple as plug and play. :/

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:06 pm

If you've connected it correctly it's probably just a "Friday afternoon" built device with a faulty component that wasn't discovered during QA testing.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Pi Supply

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:18 pm

EDIT: duplicate post, sorry about that!
Last edited by Pi Supply on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi Supply - The Maker Emporium!
https://www.pi-supply.com

Pi Supply

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi,

sorry you are having problems with your PaPiRus.
The ratio of defective screens coming from manufacturer is extremely low. In the majority of cases the problem is either to do with a connector not properly plugged in the board or with the screen having been inadvertently broken during assembly.
However if indeed the screen is broken we are more than happy to issue a replacement, in you case it will be done through The PiHut but we will address this via the support ticket.

If you have contacted us close to the weekend please bare in mind that we are going through tickets as we speak and we will get in touch with you soon.

ighea

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Thank you to you both for your replies.

I got in touch with the Pi Hut (Thank you Pi Hut for great response time!) and the item will be sorted out.

I usually think my self of being on of those more light fingered people and try to handle everything with care. Still it is a bit depressing if I happened to broke the screen during unboxing it.
I am mostly sad for the +4 hours I spent trying to figure out why the screen only worked half way, but that is life. :)

Pi Supply

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Have you sent it back already?

If not could you take a high resolution image of the underside of the board?

Could you also try the command sudo papirus-set 2.0 before running any other command?

Can you take a picture of both sides of the screen itself, including the cable also?

Last but not least, reseat the connection to the screen FPC cable and make sure the connection to the Pi is correctly aligned and fully mated.

The only ones we have had back before have been victims of loose connection or damaged screen. Not to say that it couldn't be a dud, just worth checking first :-)

drgeoff

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:46 pm

ighea wrote: I usually think my self of being on of those more light fingered people
I guess you don't know what that usually means. :(
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/light-fingered
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ighea

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:09 am

Pi Supply wrote:Have you sent it back already?

If not could you take a high resolution image of the underside of the board?
No I haven't sent it back yet and can still unwrap the packaging.
I can try to take a batch of HR images, but I don't really have the best equipment for that starting from lack of tripod and steady hands, but I'll try my best. Nothing much to lose here.
Pi Supply wrote: Could you also try the command sudo papirus-set 2.0 before running any other command?
Yes, I have tried that multiple times to setup the screen, reset the daemon and even installed the raspbian couple of times from scratch. Even checked from the hardware docs that the screen size selector pins are correctly set on the board( with the size selector I can't right now remember in english at all :E). As the screen came with presoldered header I tested it with Raspberry Pi 3 to avoid problems with messy soldering job with Zero, but that didn't work either.
I even tried both the automatic and manual approach for installing the daemon and support libraries and even enabled the required interfaces (i2c and spi) according to https://github.com/PiSupply/PaPiRus
Pi Supply wrote: Can you take a picture of both sides of the screen itself, including the cable also?

Last but not least, reseat the connection to the screen FPC cable and make sure the connection to the Pi is correctly aligned and fully mated.
I have also reassigned the cable to the board connector perhaps even a bit too many times without success. Even checking that the cable/screen has the correct side aligned so that the pins connect. This may sound bad, but in my opinion the cable is a tiny bit fiddly, but hopefully the pictures will finally prove how dreadfully wrong I have assembled the items. =D
Pi Supply wrote:The only ones we have had back before have been victims of loose connection or damaged screen. Not to say that it couldn't be a dud, just worth checking first :-)
Yeah, lets see how badly this has ended up from reason or two. :)

Thank you! I'll be back with the pictures in day or two. My job is sadly hindering my hobbies.

ighea

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:01 am

Here is the batch of pictures http://w.igh.fi/papirus/ . I sadly went with quantity over quality and it is mostly pictures of my soggy fingerprints, but hope it helps.

Still tried it once more if it happened to connect and work properly this time.

And then you'll just tell me that the screen is attached all wrong. :shock:

Return to “Troubleshooting”