LucidEye

Re: Any tests on a Pi Zero? And some other questions...

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:00 am

So YES! Pikrellcam runs great on the new PI ZERO v1.3. It even handles direct driving of 3-5v micro servos from it's GPIO pins.

Runs very smoothly with these overclock settings in /boot/config.txt
arm_freq=1000
sdram_freq=500
core_freq=500
over_voltage=6
temp_limit=75
gpu_mem=128

Here's a very compact little panning cam I cobbled together from some spare parts I had lying around... even glued a magnet to the case so I can stick it almost anywhere.

Just thought people would want to know :-)

LucidEye wrote:I know someone asked this a while back, but I never saw any definitive answer.

Will Pikrellcam run on the new Pi Zero v1.3 using the older 5MP Pi camera? (I think the new 8MP camera would be too much data) Would love to have such a tiny camera setup like the Zero running Pikrellcam... would be the ideal setup for my dashboard cam project!

Also... are you aware of these Pi cameras being sold with built-in IR-cut filters and IR LEDs?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-IR ... 3641.l6368

Does Pikrellcam have GUI support for turning on and off IR LEDs? It looks like the IR-cut filter is on the same circuit as the IR night-lights... so if Pikrellcam supports turning on and off IR lights via GPIO for the Pi NOIR camera, this camera should work as both night and day camera very nicely....

Which I guess brings up another question... is there any way to automatically schedule when motion detection turns on and off? For instance, I would like to leave the camera running, but turn off motion detection at night so it doesn't just record headlights moving across the frame.

Also, has there been any progress on making Pikrellcam capable of motion tracking with servos? Just curious, last time I was on here you had said it was something that you were working on. You wouldn't really need something as complicated as full object tracking or facial recognition... Would be nice to have Pikrellcam pass vector direction information to the servo control and just simply tell it to snap to the next servo preset in the direction of the motion, then once no motion is detected snap back to the center preset and wait for the next motion event. This, in my opinion, would make the ultimate security cam software for the Pi... motion tracking would allow people to use just one camera for covering a wider area... and without having to use wide angle lenses which degrade picture and video resolution and detail.

LucidEye

Can I video in 60 or 90fps?

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:37 am

I was curious if this is possible... The Pi camera is capable of shooting video at higher than the standard 24fps. The specs for the 5mp camera say it supports 720p@60fps and 640x480p@60 or 90fps video record. I've read that the new 8mp camera hardware will support up to 720p@90fps and 640x480@90 or 120fps (eventually once they get the firmware written for these modes)

I would like to know if I can have Pikrellcam start shooting video in these faster modes when motion is detected? I don't want to change the preview FPS... in fact I don't even care if shooting in the faster modes temporarily disables the preview, I just want to switch to the faster FPS modes on motion record events.

I have rigged my new Pi ZERO and camera to a pair of binoculars and would like to aim it at my hummingbird feeder and capture some slo-motion video of the hummers in action.

Fox Mulder

Re: PiKrellCam: motion vector detect + OSD web interface

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi,

is it somehow possible to execute at commands only when some conditions except the time are met?

For my special case i want to execute commands at sunrise/sunset only when the motion detection is enabled to activate an add-on power LED at night. I can also write a script which checks the FIFO when called to detect if motion detection is activated and decide based on that the action but maybe this is already possible and i just don't know it. :)

Ciao,
Rainer

jbeale

reliable storage for stills and video

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:43 pm

after running several PiKrellCam devices for more than a year (starting when it was released in July 2015) I have come to the conclusion that flash memory (both microSD card, and USB stick) will likely become unreliable and fail after about a year of regular use recording motion video clips. I'm using SanDisk brand devices from Amazon, as far as I know they are genuine ones. Curious to know if anyone has similar experience to report.

The obvious alternative is to write to network-attached storage, on an old fashioned spinning disk. Now the challenge is to make the network itself reliable, because I've had some past issues there, as well. Although that may be just due to this Pace 3801HGV router that AT&T makes me use for their Uverse DSL service, which likes to lock up every so often for no apparent reason.

Fox Mulder

Re: reliable storage for stills and video

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:04 pm

jbeale wrote:after running several PiKrellCam devices for more than a year (starting when it was released in July 2015) I have come to the conclusion that flash memory (both microSD card, and USB stick) will likely become unreliable and fail after about a year of regular use recording motion video clips. I'm using SanDisk brand devices from Amazon, as far as I know they are genuine ones. Curious to know if anyone has similar experience to report.
I'm using pikrellcam only for a few months 24/7 so i can't say something about this. But i know of the limitations about flash storage so i prepared the filesystem for that. I moved /tmp and /var/log to a ramdisk because these are the most frequent written directories for the native linux system.
The storage of videos and images is outsourced to a mounted network filesystem on another running server. So the raspi doesn't write much to the sd-card at all. I hope this helps me running it for quite some time without replacing the sd-card.

I also created a backup script which i used to create an initial backup of all files from the sd-card. After the first backup it creates only incremental backups of changed files with help of rsync. I don't like whole images as backup and so i only copy the much smaller amount of files which really exist on the filesystem and have changed since the last backup. This is for the worst case when the sd-card becomes defective.

Ciao,
Rainer

jbeale

Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks Rainer, yes it looks like I will be doing that as well. The one thing I liked about my old setup was that with each Pi being self-contained, I did not have a single point of failure like the central hard drive. I am thinking in addition to remote video storage, I might also store just a still frame thumbnail locally on the Pi. As a small file that should not wear out the flash storage too quickly.

billw

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:16 pm

Fox Mulder wrote: is it somehow possible to execute at commands only when some conditions except the time are met?
The at commands run by time only and the scripts run then have to check for any
other conditions you want. So you have to put a motion_enable state check into the scripts
as I mentioned:
viewtopic.php?p=1019801#p1019801

sexton

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:18 pm

How would one command multiple stills to be taken on_motion_begin?

billw

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:28 pm

sexton wrote:How would one command multiple stills to be taken on_motion_begin?
Your on_motion_begin script can loop with delay issuing still commands to the FIFO. The loop can be for
a number of stills or it can be for as long as the motion video is recording. If you want to maximize
stills durring a motion event I don't know what the optimum delay would be. Too short of a delay
will just fill the FIFO buffer with still commands. To maximize stills, I would think about taking the
first still in a on_motion_begin script and then take all others with a on_still_capture script. The
still capture script just needs to check if a motion event remains in progress before taking the still.

For example, an on_still_caputure script could have (untested):

Code: Select all

line=`grep video_record_state /run/pikrellcam/state`
record_state=${line#video_record_state}
if [ "$record_state" == "motion" }
then
    echo "still" > /home/pi/pikrellcam/www/FIFO
    # this script will be called again when still capture is done.
fi
So stills would be taken about as fast as possible as long as a motion record is in progress.
on_still_capture is scheduled to be called as soon as the still jpeg file is closed and the
event scheduler should run it within 0.1 seconds.

The time still commands are issued includes the event_gap time so stills would be taken for a time
longer that any motion video depending on how much longer event_gap is than post_capture.

Just remember that the camera changes modes when capturing a still so any motion video will
stutter as stills are taken.

Ektus

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:43 pm

jbeale wrote:after running several PiKrellCam devices for more than a year (starting when it was released in July 2015) I have come to the conclusion that flash memory (both microSD card, and USB stick) will likely become unreliable and fail after about a year of regular use recording motion video clips. I'm using SanDisk brand devices from Amazon, as far as I know they are genuine ones. Curious to know if anyone has similar experience to report.

The obvious alternative is to write to network-attached storage, on an old fashioned spinning disk. Now the challenge is to make the network itself reliable, because I've had some past issues there, as well.
I've got one RPi2 running for almost a year now, but that one has got a 2,5" USB hard drive attached. That drive shows a couple errors, though the System itself is running stable.

Another one is recording on the 64GB MicroSD-card, but has been in operation only for a couple of month.

Using a small hard disk (spinning or SSD) does avoid possible failures with network or a central NAS and may be more durable, but retains the shortcomings, e.g. no backup if the device that's supposed to show the burglar gets stolen along with the rest of your silverware...

It might be best to combine two solutions, normally recording to a NAS or cloud service and falling back to the internal storage in case of errors with the primary storage path.

Just a couple thoughts, and my first post on these forums :-)

Ektus.

Gavinmc42

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:29 pm

I have one Pi B+ connected to an external powered USB caddy with a 1TB WD purple HD.
My other B+ uses a 16GB micro SD.
Both have been running for 6 months 24/7.
I had to replace the 16GB card once.

My other camera Pi's are running Motioneye OS with micro SDs, replaced many times.
By far the most reliable has been the B+ with the USB purple HD.

Have not had much luck with networked drives, but that's just because I don't know what I'm doing ;)

Really want to try those WD Pi Drives but they are scarce downunder.
Another option I want to try is a Sata 2.5 SSD in USB caddy.

1TB drive will record about 6 month+ of ~3500 videos per day with video, set at 2x2 bin 1296x972 res.

So basically use external HD for long term installs.
If only short term like a week or so, a SD card should work fine.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

punktea

Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:01 pm

by snperry85 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:09 pm
Im having issues getting the RTSP feed up and running. I followed Tom's instructions listed here. view ... 99#p862399 I cannot see any gst-gateworks-apps-master folder. When I try to connect to the stream with VLC it tells me it can't open the MRL. I further installed that last "optional" part to test the stream and it throws erros.
If you start with the latest Raspbian, you need to do the following to get rtsp streaming working:
sudo echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1" > /etc/sysctl.d/disableipv6.conf
sudo reboot

- Install gst-rtsp-server:
sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-tools libgtk2.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev
wget http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gs ... 4.4.tar.xz
tar xfvv gst-rtsp-server-1.4.4.tar.xz
cd gst-rtsp-server-1.4.4
./configure
make
sudo make install

- Install gst-gatework-apps
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/Gateworks/gst-gateworks-apps.git
cd gst-gateworks-apps
make

- Start rtsp server:
/home/pi/gst-gateworks-apps/bin/gst-variable-rtsp-server -d 99 -p 8555 -m /stream.high \
-u "( tcpclientsrc port=3000 do-timestamp=true blocksize=262144 ! \
video/x-h264,stream-format=byte-stream,profile=high ! h264parse ! \
rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96 )"

- Access stream with vlc player
rtsp://<pi_ip_address>:8555/stream.high

xzanfr

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Bill.
I thought you might be interested in my current project where I've made a new version of my trailcam to turn it in to a handheld infra red video camera - the idea is that I can take it out to see if I can spot hares in the surrounding fields.
Pikrellcam works perfectly on the move and snappily saves the videos when used as a basic camera triggered via traditional button. Thanks for producing such a versatile piece of work!
I've written a bit about it here: http://garysshed.co.uk/wp/?p=813 if you're interested.

andies

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:54 am

Fox Mulder wrote:I moved /tmp and /var/log to a ramdisk because these are the most frequent written directories for the native linux system.
How did you do this?
raspberry B, Noir camera, Mac Book Air, iPhone, Bezzera

Fox Mulder

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:55 am

andies wrote:
Fox Mulder wrote:I moved /tmp and /var/log to a ramdisk because these are the most frequent written directories for the native linux system.
How did you do this?
For all the following commands you have to be root. Therefor i didn't add any sudo prefix to the commands.

For the /tmp directory there exists a finished systemd script. Just do the following:

cp /usr/share/systemd/tmp.mount /etc/systemd/system/
systemctl enable tmp.mount
And after the next reboot the /tmp dir is now a tmpfs (ramdisk).

For the /var/log directory i have written a simple script which saves and restores the content of all logs after a reboot. Else it would be lost because of the ramdisk nature. The script is not perfect but for the moment it does what it should. ;)
You need two files for the script which i called transientlog. The systemd service file transientlog.service (http://pastebin.com/VumVHE6N) and the shell script transientlog.sh (http://pastebin.com/GjUGzvsJ).

You have to add a tmpfs mount to /var/log for which you can add the following line to /etc/fstab:

tmpfs  /var/log  tmpfs  rw,size=64M,nodev,nosuid,mode=0755  0  0
The size of 64MB can be adapted but for me it is more than enough for all log files even for a longer time.

Now you have to make sure that no service uses /var/log anymore. Best thing for this is to exit most programs like apache, mysql, exim4, etc which write their log files to /var/log. Also exit rsyslog and syslog to stop the logging daemon. With "systemctl stop rsyslog.service syslog.socket" you can do this. The command "lsof | grep /var/log" shows any remaining processes which access /var/log. Exit every program which still uses it before you proceed.
Then you move the logs to another permanent directory on the sd-card and create a new empty one:

mv /var/log /var/permanentlog
mkdir /var/log
You have to copy the file transientlog.sh to /etc/init.d and make it executable:

cp transientlog.sh /etc/init.d
chmod a+x /etc/init.d/transientlog.sh
Now copy transientlog.service to /lib/systemd/system and reload systemd:

cp transientlog.service /lib/systemd/system
systemctl daemon-reload
Activate the new service:

systemctl enable transientlog.service
It is a good idea to backup the log files at regular intervals to be sure not to lost new logs after a crash. For this you could simply create a new cronjob which synchronizes any new changes every hour:

crontab -e
0 * * * * /bin/systemctl reload transientlog.service
After a reboot /var/log and /tmp should be a tmpfs and all new logs are written to it. You can show all tmpfs mounts with "df" and verify that it worked.

I hope this helps. :)

Ciao,
Rainer

underwhelmd

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:56 pm

I revisited the function to send an image via email on motion record and got it working... my own laziness is why it took so long for me to tackle it.
I'm using exim as the MTA following these instructions:
https://koharicorp.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... e-account/

It works nicely. The image it sends is excellent. Just wanted to thank BillW for that function. It's going to be very useful.

my back yard is watched-

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Are those cameras really in "Lionel Ritchie"* mode or is your photo inverted?

* Dancing on the ceiling
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

LucidEye

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Asked this a while back and got no reply....

Is there a way to force Pikrellcam to record using the faster 60@720p and 90@640x480 frame per second video modes on a motion event?

I would like to use it for filming birds... specifically humming birds at a feeder.

I don't care if it affects the preview stream, I would just like to be able to take advantage of the faster video modes on a motion event.

Thanks. :-)

jbeale

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:05 pm

AFAIK, PiKrellCam defaults to 24 fps because nothing faster will work on the RPi hardware available at the time, with the text & graphics overlay that are integrated in the system. Since then we've got faster HW and 30 fps does work on a RPi 3, but I doubt 60 fps or more would. However you could try it and see?

underwhelmd

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:08 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Are those cameras really in "Lionel Ritchie"* mode or is your photo inverted?

Almost Lionel Ritchie mode. hanging from a bracket in the top of the inside window frame. In that exact spot, there is no direct sunlight on the cases or flash drives. The camera on the left is fixed on a flexible arm ( www.graspinghand.com ) ... I have one for the right camera but haven't installed it yet so it's on a bent twist-tie. They stay put.
Sooner or later, one of them is going outside like the third pi in use here. The image is so much clearer than looking through a window pane.

cheers!

LucidEye

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:58 pm

jbeale wrote:AFAIK, PiKrellCam defaults to 24 fps because nothing faster will work on the RPi hardware available at the time, with the text & graphics overlay that are integrated in the system. Since then we've got faster HW and 30 fps does work on a RPi 3, but I doubt 60 fps or more would. However you could try it and see?
How exactly would I do that?

I have been able to manually record in the faster modes on a Pi model B and a Model 2B+ using raspicam from a command line, so the hardware does support it... there's documentation and example videos here.... https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-ca ... -released/ What do I need to change in Pikrellcam to force the faster modes? And like I said, I don't care if it breaks the lagging 24fps preview mode, in fact I understand that this would also break the pre- and post- capture buffer... I don't care about that either... I just need it to trigger a faster FPS video record mode on a motion detect event.

billw

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:29 pm

LucidEye wrote:
jbeale wrote:AFAIK, PiKrellCam defaults to 24 fps because nothing faster will work on the RPi hardware available at the time, with the text & graphics overlay that are integrated in the system. Since then we've got faster HW and 30 fps does work on a RPi 3, but I doubt 60 fps or more would. However you could try it and see?
How exactly would I do that?

I have been able to manually record in the faster modes on a Pi model B and a Model 2B+ using raspicam from a command line, so the hardware does support it...
Above 24fps on a B+ caused dropped buffers in the preview path because of the extra GPU
processing for the second path plus other pikrellcam processing that you don't have just using
raspivid. It was hitting GPU limits so was not helped by using a Pi2. A Pi3 with faster GPU clock
or GPU overclocking probably makes a difference.

You can set up to 30fps in the GUI but you can set higher fps and other custom resolutions by
editing pikrellcam.conf directly, restart pikrellcam and don't use the GUI for those settings. If the
preview path starts skipping frames, it may help to raise mjpeg_divider as you raise fps + resolutions.
You can know if you are losing frames by running pikrellcam from the command line:

pikrellcam -debug-fps
And see if the I420 printed fps is what is close to what is expected from video_fps/mjpeg_divider.

billw

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:11 pm

xzanfr wrote:Hi Bill.
I thought you might be interested in my current project where I've made a new version of my trailcam to turn it in to a handheld infra red video camera - the idea is that I can take it out to see if I can spot hares in the surrounding fields.
Pikrellcam works perfectly on the move and snappily saves the videos when used as a basic camera triggered via traditional button. Thanks for producing such a versatile piece of work!
I've written a bit about it here: http://garysshed.co.uk/wp/?p=813 if you're interested.

That's a nice project you've done. From the projects I've done I know planning out the packaging
can sometimes be a problem and your handheld looks good!

Maybe a tip: you mention being careful about updates to avoid overwriting your custom page, but
if you name your page with a "custom" prefix it should be left alone when updating. So, for example,
you could name your page "custom-index.php" and access it directly with:

yourpi.com:port/custom-index.php
There is built in to the index.php a provision for you to have custom buttons on the main page
using custom-control.php (for buttons on the control bar area) or custom.php (for buttons or
anything at the bottom of the page). So you could put a button in custom-control.php to load
your custom-index.php and then you could switch back and forth and not have to worry
about losing anything when you update. Just an idea for you. Thanks for writing up your project.

Fox Mulder

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:11 pm

billw wrote:
Tashman wrote: Hi again, it did it again this morning.
The mjpeg.jpg file is not changing (same size) when checked as you outlined.

What's next billw?
If pikrellcam is still running (you verified with ps -C pikrellcam?) then look at:
1) The last lines in the log.

2) Do a df to see if any filesystems are full.

3) Compare timestamps in the log to the last timestamp on /run/pikrellcam/mjpeg.jpg to see if pikrellcam stopped during
a motion detect activity or while it was just waiting for motion.

4) Run ps -C pikrellcam, wait a while and run it again to see if the process time changes to know if pikrellcam is still trying
to do something or if it totally stalled.

5) If nothing above gives any clues, the thing that should really be done is I would run gdb to attach to the pikrellcam
process and see where it is executing. The complication is that many threads are running and you likely would need to
check them. If you want to try that, I'll list here an example of my attaching and getting backtraces:
Strange thing is that my pikrellcam freezes two times within this week and i haven't any problems all the months before. Same thing that pikrellcam still responds to FIFO commands but in the web front-end the video is frozen. The time was 8:56 in the morning but in the log nothing happened at that time. I can still stop and start pikrellcam with the web front-end and after that it works again.

So my answers to the debug questions are:
1) The log goes beyond the freeze because pikrellcam still responds.
2) 12GB free
3) No event happened at that time in the logs
4) pikrellcam still consumes a little bit of time and is working
5) Maybe i will try this now because i'm out of ideas. :(

Ciao,
Rainer

Ektus

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Ektus wrote:Another one is recording on the 64GB MicroSD-card, but has been in operation only for a couple of month.
That one has failed sometime around end of December / beginning of January. Coming home after the Christmas break, it's showing EXT4-FS errors with corrupt filesystem and Read-error on swap device. The RPi3 has a monitor connected, so I was able to at least see those errors. There are timestamps, but not human-readable :-(

other errors:
ext4_reserve_inode_write:5117: IO failure
ext4_journal_check_start:56: Detected aborted journal
Remounting filesystem readonly

I'll have to investigate further, if the card is dead or if there is just some file system corruption. It's been running transmission additionally and has been uploading 18GB in December. Oh well, guess I'll have to add a HDD there, too...

Regards
Ektus.

Return to “Camera board”