Rextech

My Raspberry pi 2 B is overheating !

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi everyone I have some problem with my Raspberry Pi model 2b.
When I plug it in (with the usb port) the central chip start heating like crazy and nothing shows up a the screen.
The green power led is on but not the red one. I tried changing usb wall adapter but same ...
Does anyone know what my Pi is doing ?

altosack

Re: My Raspberry pi 2 B is overheating !

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:52 pm

It sounds like you have a defective USB plug. This happened to me with a wifi dongle on a Pi, and it caused the same problems that you're describing until I pulled it out slightly. I didn't want to depend on that, so I threw it away after I couldn't figure out how to bend it to keep it from happening.

Woflie

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:25 pm

Welcome Rex, new to Pi myself but hardware FF is my area. I can't get too deep with Pi specific help, just general Fault Finding..

Firstly if you are handy with a multimeter then check there is only 5v coming from the original supply and no more. Some el cheapo supplies have a lot more than 5v output when there is nothing connected, meaning that when you plug them into your expensive kit, you give it a high voltage shock.

Also next, in line with the first reply you could unplug all external items, mouse, kbd, monitor, Memory card.. everything. Then power it up (with a good supply) and see if it still gets hot.. If it does then the fault is certainly on the PCB..

If the Chip becomes seriously hot within a few seconds then the Chip itself is probably faulty, but just as a 'clutching at straws' check, have a close look around that area of the PCB in case there is some foreign object/matter on the pins or tracks.

Fingers crossed, but at the moment the outlook doesn't look good I'm afraid. :(
:
Wolfie
:
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana..

rpdom

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:51 pm

That doesn't sound good. The main chip will get very warm in normal use, but shouldn't get unbearably hot.

The red Power light not showing means the voltage supplied to the Pi is too low. That coupled with the overheating suggests that the main chip has been damaged internally and is shorting out the power supply. The green Activity light being on all the time suggests the Pi has not been able to even get as far as reading the boot code from the micro SD card.

It looks like a dead Pi. :-(

All this information is contained in the troubleshooting "Is your Pi not booting?" sticky post viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

altosack

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:48 pm

Hey, all you naysayers, I had exactly the symptoms he described with my Pi A, including the main chip getting too hot to touch (even just a tap), and after fixing what I assume was a short in the USB connection of the wifi dongle, the pi was fine (just for grins, I'm using it to type this, even though it's usually just for projects).

No, I can't explain why it had those symptoms, and being a mechanical (and self-taught electrical) engineer, this is a little embarassing. But that's what happened, and I think there's a significant possibility that the pi is fine.

Heater

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:58 am

So, as your story goes, you had a short circuit some place. And things got hot.

Perhaps not a surprise there.

What I want to know is why an SD card in my Pi 2 went on fire after six months or so!
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Rextech

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 am

thanks for all the replies .
I verified the voltage of my usb adaptator and its 5.35V and btw I am powering the Pi by the micro(or mini ) usb port not a real usb port.
I tried powering the Pi with nothing connected to it and same thing.But I saw that there is an almost completely destroyed component in the power circuit. I put a image that show what component is destroyed.

Rextech

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:14 am

Oups... the image :
Raspberry.jpg
Raspberry.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 1406 times

Woflie

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:26 pm

It does look like your luck is out.. that item appears to have the designation U16, it is almost certainly an IC (Chip) and the chances of a replacement are about nil.. :cry:
:
Wolfie
:
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana..

davidcoton

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Rextech wrote:I verified the voltage of my usb adaptator and its 5.35V
The upper limit of the spec is 5.25V, so you were outside that -- though I wouldn't expect it to cause immediate destruction.
Rextech wrote:But I saw that there is an almost completely destroyed component in the power circuit. I put a image that show what component is destroyed.
U16 (on a Pi3 at least) is the core voltage regulator. If that is fried, the Pi is toast. (The SOC overheating confirms that.)
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”