gordon77

Re: RaspberryPi Camera for Astrophotography

Sun May 22, 2016 7:24 pm

MikeDunn wrote:Gordon,

Have you tried your app on the new Zero with a new camera ? How does it behave (speeds, etc) ?

Wondering if it's worth trying this, even though I'd lose the touchscreen control I presently have ...

Mike
I tested it but not any observing, worked OK. It will obviously be a bit slower than a Pi2 but faster than a Pi1, but should work.

Gordon

scotty101

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Apologies for the slight topic deviation.
I was trying your python script last night and it started off some research.

Do you, or does anyone, know of some software like Registax that runs on the Raspberry Pi? I'd like to feed the Pi camera data to some software to stack and filter the images.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

csnorbert

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi,

Gordon this is a nice job!

I have an EQ3 mount, and I build own motorized scan/sync mechanism: 2 stepper motor with belts drives the RA and DEC axis, the motors drived with Arduino (with Easydriver microstep controller). I made a handy controller for the RA and DEC rotation very fine, and I can read serial commands from the Arduinos's USB port too. But no GoTo, no other "intelligent" electronic.

Is this autoguider python script suitable for this configuration, or just with an azimuth mount works right?

My dilemma: this script make images, processin it and the star's movements generate N/S and E/W commands, what contain the direction and value of the guiding move. But... with an EQ mount, the N/S and E/W commands are not valid, I need converted movement commands for RA/DEC axis (if it is possible).

What you think, can I use your script somehow for my mount with theese steppers through Arduino?

gordon77

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:51 am

Hi,

The script outputs pulses of the required length to move the scope in the appropriate direction to operate relays / opto couplers, and/or MEADE ASCII commands on the USB eg #Mgn1000 (Move North 1000mS). The pulses goto the ST4 interface.

Even though they call them N,E,S, & W it is moving the DEC & RA.

The RPi can be connected to my Arduino (see links on Github page) so maybe able to modify the output of that to control your scope. https://github.com/Gordon999/Arduino-Uno-AutoGuider

Can you give details of your hand controller it should be possible to interface to that.

Gordon

gordon77

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi,

I use this on my eq6 so should work OK on your eq3 regards N/E/S/W. Try to align the camera as the photo below

As you move Dec the star on the screen should move N/S, moving ra moves it E/W.
Attachments
IMG_20160706_203135.jpg
Setup
IMG_20160706_203135.jpg (17.56 KiB) Viewed 8949 times
IMG_20160706_195327.jpg
IMG_20160706_195327.jpg (34.46 KiB) Viewed 8953 times

gordon77

Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:51 pm

Modified to let you choose between N/E/S/W or DEC/RA. Set DKeys in options, default DEC/RA.

github updated.... https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-AutoGuider
Last edited by gordon77 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gordon77

Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:11 pm

I have found a bug in this version if you are using it to drive the Arduino interface...

Code: Select all

if serial_connected:
            if decN and vdir == "N":
               ser.write(bytes(Vcorrt.encode('ascii')))
            if decS and vdir == "S":
            time.sleep(0.2) 
Should be...

Code: Select all

if serial_connected:
            if decN and vdir == "n":
            if decS and vdir == "s":
            time.sleep(0.2)  
I am currently modifying to suit a 3.5" tft display, let me know if you have found any other bugs..

Gordon

gordon77

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:41 pm

I experimented with a 3.5"tft but I didn't think it was practical to use so went for the 7" Pi Display.
Added a mode where the buttons are larger for touchscreen use, saves using the mouse or keyboard.
Use Display = 0, Just click on the Menu button on the usual display, click on FULL Display to go back.
Haven't had a chance to try on the telescope been too cloudy :(
Attachments
SCREEN1.jpg
SCREEN1.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 9096 times
SCREEN2.jpg
SCREEN2.jpg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 9096 times
Last edited by gordon77 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DarkHelmet

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:12 am

I just downloaded your Autoguider software and got it up and running using a Celestron Digital Microscope. Next I'll fab an interface board and try it with my CGEM.

Q: How do I "train" the autoguider about the orientation and magnitude of movements? Other autoguider systems go through an orientation process since the guide camera could be at some arbitrary rotation angle relative to RA and Dec axes. Is this done manually with your software?

Thanks!

gordon77

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:23 pm

DarkHelmet wrote:I just downloaded your Autoguider software and got it up and running using a Celestron Digital Microscope. Next I'll fab an interface board and try it with my CGEM.

Q: How do I "train" the autoguider about the orientation and magnitude of movements? Other autoguider systems go through an orientation process since the guide camera could be at some arbitrary rotation angle relative to RA and Dec axes. Is this done manually with your software?

Thanks!
I am afraid it's a manual process. Setup to see a star on the screen, then move the scope DEC+ and DEC -, The star should move vertically on the screen. If not then rotate the camera until it does.

You'll just haven't adjust the magnitude to suit your setup, checking it's not too slow or overshooting.

DarkHelmet

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Ok, that's I want thought but it's good to know for sure.
I may take a crack at automating the process. Is it possible to get a commented version of your code?
Thanks!
-Dave

gordon77

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:13 am

DarkHelmet wrote:Ok, that's I want thought but it's good to know for sure.
I may take a crack at automating the process. Is it possible to get a commented version of your code?
Thanks!
-Dave
There are quite a few comments, just let me know which parts you need explaining.

Gordon

lohtse

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:37 pm

HI All

Been directed to this thread to get some answers to a project we are working on..

Partner has recently got a basic 76/700 reflector telescope and is wanting to take so photos of planets etc.....

we have a standard pi camera v1.3 and a noir pi camera... can she use these and what is need to be done to have them working..

We use Rpi Camera control for several other projects and will continue to use that as it meets are requirements and is already set up on are various pi's but if someone suggests something beeter we are happy to have a look..

looking forward to your replies

regards
Lohtse
3x Pi-3 1 x Pi-2 1 x Pi-B+ 1 x Pi-B 2 xPi-Zero 1 x Pi Zero W and a massive ever growing box/room of bits and bobs for them!

MikeDunn

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Suggest you read all the thread, then ask a specific question.

To answer what you have asked : 'Yes', and 'read the thread' ... ;)

Mike

lohtse

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:20 am

MikeDunn wrote:Suggest you read all the thread, then ask a specific question.

To answer what you have asked : 'Yes', and 'read the thread' ... ;)

Mike
thank you for the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer "response" very helpful!

Had read "most" of the thread but it seemed to be more related to specific software and auto guiders! Found the Noir bit but can not find information about wether the lens needs removing on standard or noir cameras.. there seems to be some who have removed lens and others that haven't!! so which is it? and do you need to use the eye pieces with the pi camera?
3x Pi-3 1 x Pi-2 1 x Pi-B+ 1 x Pi-B 2 xPi-Zero 1 x Pi Zero W and a massive ever growing box/room of bits and bobs for them!

gordon77

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:16 am

lohtse wrote:HI All

Been directed to this thread to get some answers to a project we are working on..

Partner has recently got a basic 76/700 reflector telescope and is wanting to take so photos of planets etc.....

we have a standard pi camera v1.3 and a noir pi camera... can she use these and what is need to be done to have them working..

We use Rpi Camera control for several other projects and will continue to use that as it meets are requirements and is already set up on are various pi's but if someone suggests something beeter we are happy to have a look..

looking forward to your replies

regards
Lohtse
Normally you have a few choices:

1. Remove the Pi camera lens and the scope eyepiece and place the pi camera at the scope focal point. This is Prime Focus. This is what I do.

2. Remove the Pi camera lens and place the camera behind the eyepiece. Eyepiece projection.

3. Put the Pi camera, with lens still attached, looking into the scope eyepiece. Afocal / Digiscoping Imaging

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=85
http://www.astronomysource.com/2011/10/ ... rojection/

Gordon

MikeDunn

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:18 pm

As Gordon correctly says, there are several types of astrophotography. If you have read all this thread, (and the links he has provided), you should now be able to phrase a question better than you did. The earlier one is akin to buying a toy rocket & asking how you get it into orbit ;)

You say you have a 76/700 'scope - I assume you mean something like the National Geographic reflector on an equatorial mount ? That's not really a good one to use for astrophotography for a lot of reasons (regardless of what they may tell you - none of the toy-shop 'scopes are much use, to be brutally honest). The big one being - it's not motorised; add onto that the fact it's an f/9 scope, and you have quite limited time before the object has moved enough distance to make the image worthless (f/9 means you have a slow 'scope - same as in photography).

Using the more powerful lens (the 9mm), you'll get around x144 magnification; the best you can get (with a different lens) will be around x150 (the rule-of-thumb is x50 per inch diameter you have - yours is 3" so that's x150; mine's 10" so that's x500 - all in perfect conditions too, which rarely happen), so don't waste money on smaller lenses (you'll see the degradation when you use the Barlow with the 9mm to get to about x288). That (and a method of holding the camera to the eyepiece) should rule out #2 & 3.

Prime focus likely should be the way to go; that means you need to investigate where to get & how to deploy a webcam adapter to the Pi Camera (I don't see any advantage in the NoIR compared to the ordinary one); adapters do exist to replace the Pi camera's lens to permit such an adapter to be attached. Call it about £50 for the parts, but you may want to buy the v2 camera, as this has more pixels ... Any image you can get out of your 3" 'scope will look better (once processed) with the v2 camera compared to the v1 camera ... and yes, you will need to process it.

RareHare

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:41 am

Dumb question: Is there any benefit to be able to take, say, 100 snapshots at roughly the same time of the night sky, where the cameras are dispersed within a region of, say, 100 meters? I ask because the US military does something similar with drones.

barton

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:51 am

This is my feeble first light attempt with the v1.3 camera. 4 frames at 6s/iso800 stacked with with dark frame and with some processing during stack and afterwards in the GIMP (all on rpi3). Orion through some treetops (it was too dark to see them!). No tracking, but the rotation was mild enough over most of the frame that alignment worked sorta.

Resized from 2560x1920 .PNG to 1280x960 jpg. Trying Photobucket so sorry if not good link!

I was just going to rip off the lens and add a telescope adapter, but I think I see enough promise to give widefield sky imaging a few more tries. Need to check infinite focus, stack a few more with camera on equatorial mount, and mess around with processing some more. I'm pretty impressed with a CMOS imager. The RPI SW guys push things to the limit! The Sony noir v2 ought to be even better.

JohnCollis

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:29 am

Finally managed to find time along with reasonable weather conditions that didn't clash with shifts at work! Image of half moon taken yesterday evening with Pi Camera module (lens removed and attached via adaptor) to Skywatcher 130 reflecting telescope, default settings for camera module, origninal image converted to grey scale using Word. The original image has also been shrunk using Paint to ensure that it is small enough to post here. My next foray will be to experiment by changing some of the parameters, weather and time permitting of course
bwmoon1.jpg
bwmoon1.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 7745 times
moon043.jpg
moon043.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 7745 times

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:48 pm

JohnCollis wrote:The original image has also been shrunk using Paint to ensure that it is small enough to post here.
Post full size images on http://imgur.com and it gives you the BBCode to post here. No shrinking needed.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gordon77

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:00 pm

I have been working on 'upgrading' this to Python3, and here is the latest version. Let me know if any issues.

https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-AutoGuider

Should work with Python 2 or 3.

r10c7. Auto Centre fixed.
r10c8. Auto Threshold improved. USB webcam brightness readded (Python2 ONLY)
r10c9. Demo improved. Exit without shutdown (if set) changed to Esc then Stop.
r10d0. Window centering fixed. Threshold display fixed.
r10d4. Set LOS threshold to improve Loss of Star detection. Click on Esc the set for Auto/Manual Threshold.
Set yellow line on Graph above green line when window placed on backgroud with no star.
r10e1. Buttons repeat with LH mouse button. Window can set by moving mouse cursor to centre of required window,
hold down RH mouse button and move cursor until required size of window achieved. Release RH mouse button.
r10e3. Window setup changed to LH mouse button to work with touch screen (set mouse_button in script to change).
r10e4. Minor bug fix
r10e5. Minor bug fix
r10e6. Minor bug fix
Last edited by gordon77 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 21 times in total.

martindtm

Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:31 am

Hi all; I'm a newcomer to this forum. Please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I'm also trying the camera module for astronomy. I have a meade etx 90. I'm having a slow going progress but positive. I was able to get some moon shots that were fairly decent. What I'm using is a pi zero w. I used the web interface to capture the images. I used the autostar to guide my scope. I made a rough eyepiece holder out of an old meade camera that no longer works (drivers win 10). Now I can align scope and goto the moon then go back to my easy chair inside and capture my images. The Rpi zero is connected to my home wifi and is powered by a battery i taped to it. It is in the scope getting images through the reflecting mirror. On it is running a web server with Apache that interfaces with the cam allowing me to control it by going to it's web page. As I continue I will try to add some pictures.

gordon77

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:40 am

martindtm wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:31 am
Hi all; I'm a newcomer to this forum. Please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I'm also trying the camera module for astronomy. I have a meade etx 90. I'm having a slow going progress but positive. I was able to get some moon shots that were fairly decent. What I'm using is a pi zero w. I used the web interface to capture the images. I used the autostar to guide my scope. I made a rough eyepiece holder out of an old meade camera that no longer works (drivers win 10). Now I can align scope and goto the moon then go back to my easy chair inside and capture my images. The Rpi zero is connected to my home wifi and is powered by a battery i taped to it. It is in the scope getting images through the reflecting mirror. On it is running a web server with Apache that interfaces with the cam allowing me to control it by going to it's web page. As I continue I will try to add some pictures.
Welcome to the forum. Keep us updated on your progress.

Gordon77

Return to “Camera board”