bensimmo

Re: PIXEL FOR PC AND MAC

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:38 pm

I see it as a solution to use the Pi remotely, with ease, in the same environment once/if they are thinking of setting that up for ease of use.

I know gpiozero could could be switched to use pigpio as I have been using it, though setting all that up on a Windows python setup I wouldn't know where to start.
But stick the pendrive in and I can be in Pixel with everything there ready.
run the code, tell pigpio where the Pi is and off I should be able to go.

That's my wishful thinking anyway :D

c141heaven

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:16 pm

I made a USB stick for Pixel and am able to boot from it just fine. I've searched high and low around the forums (there doesn't seem to be one directly for Pixel) but can't seem to find an answer to this question:

"How do I install Pixel directly on the local hard drive of the old clunker PC I'm using to run Pixel instead of only from the USB drive?"

Thanks.

tarmo2011

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:37 pm

c141heaven wrote:I made a USB stick for Pixel and am able to boot from it just fine. I've searched high and low around the forums (there doesn't seem to be one directly for Pixel) but can't seem to find an answer to this question:

"How do I install Pixel directly on the local hard drive of the old clunker PC I'm using to run Pixel instead of only from the USB drive?"

Thanks.
Extract the .ISO files to your hard drive.
Contents of .ISO image files can be accessed directly using third-party tools that allow file extraction from the file to a temporary folder on your hard drive (similar to .zip files). As with the virtual drive, this approach is advisable to install application software or system upgrades. An example of this approach is the creation of an installation thumb drive to install software on netbooks or other devices with no optical drive.
The following tools offer .ISO file support:
IsoBuster
CDmage
Daemon Tools
Winrar

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:42 pm

c141heaven wrote:I made a USB stick for Pixel and am able to boot from it just fine. I've searched high and low around the forums (there doesn't seem to be one directly for Pixel) but can't seem to find an answer to this question:

Thanks.
The current image is not intended for permanent installation on a hard drive - this is just a trial product. If it is popular (and it certainly seems to be...), future versions will include an install option. Some people on the blog comments have suggested permanent installation methods - they may work, but we haven't tried them, so can offer no guarantees.

My advice would be to wait until we can produce a proper installer. I'd guess that would be some time in the first quarter of next year, but don't quote me!

eeg

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Trying to run Raspian with Pixel x86 with persistence on a Mac via VMWare Fusion:

So I can create a new vm in Fusion from the iso and it runs immediately. But it doesn't seem to work with persistence. I have a whole 20 GB virtual disk for it to find and use but it doesn't. If I try to use gparted and it thinks /dev/sda has a bad partition table and won't allocate a partition until it creates a new partition table. I do that and create an ext4 partition that takes up all of sda. Of course you can tell what is going to happen. When I reboot I'm hung (probably because I've just destroyed the OS that was living there.

So I tried creating the vm with two disks, a 5 GB disk (sda) and a 20 GB disk (sdb). Then I use gparted on sdb instead of sda. I create a single partition on sdb called "persistence" and then reboot. It doesn't matter if I choose run with persistence from the boot menu or not. The persistence partition (sdb1) is never mounted and completely ignored.

So, anyone out there have an idea of how to get Pixel running on WMWare Fusion with persistence working?
Last edited by eeg on Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
eeg

The pulse of the Internet

DanielBme

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Can't boot from my old Asus laptop. Cursor jumps blinks in the top left hand corner.

Processor / Chipset
⦁ CPU Intel Core - i5 430M / 2.26 GHz
⦁ Max Turbo Speed - 2.53 GHz
⦁ Number of Cores - Dual-Core
⦁ Cache - 3 MB
⦁ 64-bit Computing - Yes
⦁ Chipset Type - Mobile Intel HM55 Express
Cache Memory
Installed Size 3 MB
⦁ Max Supported Size - 8 GB
⦁ Technology
DDR3 SDRAM
⦁ Speed
1066 MHz
⦁ Form Factor
SO-DIMM 204-pin
⦁ Slots Qty
RAM
⦁ Memory Speed
1066 MHz
⦁ Technology
DDR3 SDRAM
⦁ Installed Size
4 GB
Storage
⦁ Optical Drive
DVD±RW / DVD-RAM
Audio & Video
⦁ Graphics Processor
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 - 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM

spl23

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:56 pm

eeg wrote:Trying to run Raspian with Pixel x86 with persistence on a Mac via VMWare Fusion:

So I can create a new vm in Fusion from the iso and it runs immediately. But it doesn't seem to work with persistence. I have a whole 20 GM virtual disk for it to find and use but it doesn't. If I try to use gparted it things /dev/sda has a bad partition table and won't allocate a partition until it creates a new partition table. I do that and create an ext4 partition that takes up all of sda. Of course you can tell what is going to happen. When I reboot I'm hung (probably because I've just destroyed the OS that was living there.

So I tried creating the vm with two disks, a 5GB disk (sda) and a 20GB disk (sdb). Then I use gparted on sdb instead of sda. I create a single partition on sdb called "persistence" and then reboot. It doesn't matter if I choose run with persistence from the boot menu or not. The persistence partition (sdb1) is never mounted and completely ignored.

So, anyone out there have an idea of how to get Pixel running on WMWare Fusion with persistence working?
Did you add a persistence.conf file to the root of the persistence partition? The persistence partition needs to be in ext4 format, named "persistence" and to have the file "persistence.conf" in the root, with the contents "/ union" - the article in this month's Magpi magazine gives more detailed instructions on manually creating persistence.

c141heaven

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks. I'm in no rush.

spl23 wrote:

Thanks.
The current image is not intended for permanent installation on a hard drive - this is just a trial product. If it is popular (and it certainly seems to be...), future versions will include an install option. Some people on the blog comments have suggested permanent installation methods - they may work, but we haven't tried them, so can offer no guarantees.

My advice would be to wait until we can produce a proper installer. I'd guess that would be some time in the first quarter of next year, but don't quote me!

eeg

Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:31 am

spl23 wrote:
eeg wrote:Trying to run Raspian with Pixel x86 with persistence on a Mac via VMWare Fusion:

So I can create a new vm in Fusion from the iso and it runs immediately. But it doesn't seem to work with persistence. I have a whole 20 GM virtual disk for it to find and use but it doesn't. If I try to use gparted it things /dev/sda has a bad partition table and won't allocate a partition until it creates a new partition table. I do that and create an ext4 partition that takes up all of sda. Of course you can tell what is going to happen. When I reboot I'm hung (probably because I've just destroyed the OS that was living there.

So I tried creating the vm with two disks, a 5GB disk (sda) and a 20GB disk (sdb). Then I use gparted on sdb instead of sda. I create a single partition on sdb called "persistence" and then reboot. It doesn't matter if I choose run with persistence from the boot menu or not. The persistence partition (sdb1) is never mounted and completely ignored.

Did you add a persistence.conf file to the root of the persistence partition? The persistence partition needs to be in ext4 format, named "persistence" and to have the file "persistence.conf" in the root, with the contents "/ union" - the article in this month's Magpi magazine gives more detailed instructions on manually creating persistence.
I never added the conf file because the partition never mounted. What instructions I've seen seem to imply that at least the partition mounts at /media/pi. But there are no mounts at /media. udev found the disk and there is an sda, sdb and sdb1 file in /dev.
eeg

bfagioli

Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:43 am

Is this the official forum for PC/Mac liveCD? Maybe this needs a dedicated forum?

So I booted from USB on my DELL LATITUDE D620 Core 2 Duo laptop and it's pretty responsive but the Wifi adapter is not recognized. Any ideas? Thanks.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:03 am

bfagioli wrote:Is this the official forum for PC/Mac liveCD? Maybe this needs a dedicated forum?

So I booted from USB on my DELL LATITUDE D620 Core 2 Duo laptop and it's pretty responsive but the Wifi adapter is not recognized. Any ideas? Thanks.
There is no official forum as yet and the release is extremely experimental.

As Pixel OS is based of Debian Jessie 8 Google for a Debian solution, it is likely missing driver:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

DenisH2

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:38 am

I found that this works fine on a laptop running 64-bit Windows 10.

First download file 2016-12-13-pixel-x86-jessie.iso to a known location. I
created a folder called C:\Download\Pixel for this.

Next, download file VirtualBox-5.1.12-112440-Win.exe if VirtualBox is not
already installed. The same folder can be used for both files, of course.
Now, using Explorer, navigate to the folder which contains the VirtualBox
download, and click on the file to run it. Accept the defaults during the
installation process.

An icon representing Virtual Box should appear on the screen.

Start VirtualBox, and elect to create a new virtual machine.

Give a name to the machine (I called it Jessie). Set it as a Linux machine,
and set its version to 'Other Linux (32-bit)'. Give it a reasonable amount
of memory - at least 1024 KB - and in my case 2048 KB worked fine too.

Select 'Create a virtual hard disk now', and click Create.

Accept (initially) the default size of 8 GB, and the disk image type as VDI,
BUT change the 'Dynamically allocated' option to 'Fixed size'. Click Create,
and wait while VirtualBox allocates and initializes the fixed size disk image.
This may take several moments.

When the new virtual machine has been created, select it from the left panel,
and click the Start icon at the top of the VirtualBox window. Because no
operating system has been loaded, a dialog will appear that asks for an
optical drive from where to load one. Click the folder icon at the right side
of the window, and a file selection dialog appears. Navigate to the folder
where the ISO is located - i.e. C:\Download\Pixel in my case, and select the
ISO file. Click the Open button. This creates a 'virtual optical drive' with
the ISO loaded into it, and uses it to load Jessie.

THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE A REAL OPTICAL DRIVE OR BOOTABLE USB DRIVE.

Also, the virtual machine will 'remember' this setting.

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES DURING THE BOOT PROCESS - ACCEPT THE DEFAULTS.

With Pixel running, open a console window by clicking on the black icon near
the top of the window - which has a hint of 'Terminal'.

The default font size is probably too small to read comfortably, so change it
by right-clicking in the console window. Select 'Preferences' from the
resulting menu, and select the 'Style' tab in the resulting dialog. Click on
the item labelled 'Terminal Font' which has a default of 10 points, and
increase it to, say, 14, points. Accept the changes. Note that the window can
be dragged to a new location if required by dragging its title bar.

If we close the terminal window (by typing 'exit' and pressing Enter), and
reopen it, we see that the font setting has been remembered. However, if we
shutdown the virtual machine (by clicking on the Raspberry icon near the top
left of the window, and selecting 'Shutdown' and 'Shutdown' again, when we
restart the virtual machine, the new font size will NOT be remembered.

Next, we should show that communication is working.

Open a console window again, and if necessary change to the font size again,
and enter the command:

sudo apt install gparted

This should download and install the 'graphical partition editor'. This may
also take a few moments - obviously depending on the speed of your Internet
connection - which Virtual Box will conveniently 'route through' the same
connection you used for the initial downloads.

When the command prompt appears again, enter the command:

sudo gparted

This will run gparted as super-user and allow you to create and change the
partitions on the 8 GB virtual drive. Initially, the drive is unformatted,
and all its space in unallocated. Select 'Device' and then 'Create Partition
Table' from the gparted menu. Accept the default of an msdos type, and ignore
the warning about erasing all the data on the virtual drive.

Right-click on the item labelled 'unallocated', and select 'New' from the
resultant menu. Accept all the defaults to create an 'ext4' partition that
occupies the full size of the virtual disk. Click the 'Add' button.

The formatting will not take place immediately, though. So click the green
tick at the top of the gparted window - to execute the requested operation.

The exit gparted by selecting 'GParted' and 'Quit' from its menu.

Next, having gone to the trouble of formatting and partitioning our virtual
drive, we are going to overwrite it. Type in the following command:

~~~~
sudo dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sda bs=1M
~~~~

This will copy the whole operating system from the virtual optical drive to
the hard drive, and so will take several moments. It should report that about
1.4 GB has been copied.

Now the 'trick' ...

Exit the terminal session, and close down the virtual machine - again.

Now, from VirtualBox, create ANOTHER virtual machine, calling it, say, JessieP
and again declare it as a Linux and 'Other Linux (32-bit)' system. BUT...
select the option 'Use an existing virtual hard disk file'.

If several virtual drives exist, we can then select one from the list below
this option. In any case ensure file 'Jessie.vdi' is selected. Click Create.

A new virtual machine called JessieP should now appear in the left panel.

Start it, and after a few moments we should again see the Pixel desktop.

Now start a terminal session again, and once again change its font size.
Exit the terminal session, and shut down the virtual machine.

Next, restart it, and open a terminal session. And surprise - the enlarged
font size has been remembered !!

Try command:

sudo gparted

It will fail, because there is no such command, but after:

sudo get install gparted

it will work, and show that about 1.3 GB of our 8 GB virtual hard drive is
being used by the OS on a drive called /dev/sda1. But the remaining space has
been given over to a logical drive called /dev/sda2 with a label of
'persistence'.

Further, this command:

ls

will show a list of folders and files, but this command:

ls >denis.dat

will 'pipe' (i.e. write) that list to a new file called denis.dat.

Now exit the terminal session, and shutdown again. Then restart JessieP, and
open a terminal session again. The command:

ls

should now still 'see' file denis.dat, and the command

sudo gparted

should still work !!

If we exit the terminal session, shutdown Jessie, and then close VrtualBox, we
see that we only have ONE 8 GB vdi file - stored (in my case) as a Windows
file named "C:\Users\denis\VirtualBox VMs\Jessie\Jessie.vdi". There IS also
a folder called "C:\Users\denisVirtualBox VMs\JessieP" - but it does NOT
contain a disk image.

P.S. Defragmenting the 'real' hard drive is a good thing to do at this point,
but that's a different story...

So, we now have what is, in effect, a hard drive install.

eeg

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:15 pm

So I can create a new vm in Fusion from the iso and it runs immediately. But it doesn't seem to work with persistence. I have a whole 20 GB virtual disk for it to find and use but it doesn't. If I try to use gparted and it thinks /dev/sda has a bad partition table and won't allocate a partition until it creates a new partition table. I do that and create an ext4 partition that takes up all of sda. Of course you can tell what is going to happen. When I reboot I'm hung (probably because I've just destroyed the OS that was living there.

So I tried creating the vm with two disks, a 5 GB disk (sda) and a 20 GB disk (sdb). Then I use gparted on sdb instead of sda. I create a single partition on sdb called "persistence" and then reboot. It doesn't matter if I choose run with persistence from the boot menu or not. The persistence partition (sdb1) is never mounted and completely ignored.

OK, So I got a clue after reading a comment from Luis Alcaraz. I was trying to make it too complicated. Basically even though I created vm with a vdisk PIXEL was running directly from the virtual CD/DVD. So really one just needs to copy from the virtual cd to the virtual hard disk and run it with persistence.

So here is how I got this to work on my Late 2016 Macbook Pro "15 running VMWare Fusion 8.5.3:
  1. Fire up VMWare Fusion
  2. Create a new VM
  3. Select "Install from disc or image" as the installation method
  4. Select "2016-12-13-pixel-x86-jessie.iso"
  5. Select "Debian 8.x" as the operating system
  6. Customize the settings as desired. I changed the vm name and set the memory to 1024 MB. I left the vdisk size as 20 GB
  7. Start up the newly created vm. Note that PIXEL is actually running from the virtual CD and not the virtual hard disk
  8. When you get to the desktop, open up a terminal window
  9. Type the following command "sudo dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sda bs=1M" This will run for a few seconds and then report the success of the copy operation
  10. Type "sudo shutdown now"
  11. Once the vm has stopped running, click the little CD icon at the top of the vm's window (part of the Fusion window) and select "Disconnect CD/DVD"
  12. Start the VM
  13. When the Raspian Display pops up push the "ESC" key to get to the Boot menu
  14. Select "run with persistence"
  15. The persistence volume (named aufs in a df -H command) will now show the whole 20 GB is being used
  16. Update and install software as desired
I also wanted a bigger window so I opened up a command prompt and typed "xrandr --output Virtual1 --mode 1280x800" to get a bigger display (note that the command uses two dashes and not one but the post makes it hard to see that).

Unfortunately the display resize while immediate is not permanent. I haven't figured out that part yet. So far this is running like a dream and super fast. Thanks RPF!!!!
eeg

spl23

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Ok, if anyone wants to boot on a Mac but is finding the USB device is not offered as a boot option, I've found a fix that works for me - instructions are at

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=169135

That creates a USB stick which boots into PIXEL on my 2011 Mac mini, which the standard image fails to do.

If you are using a Mac and having problems, please give it a try and let us know how you get on!

eeg

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:30 pm

OK Permanent change to resolution solved.

PIXEL installs lxrandr. If you open a terminal and type "lxrandr" then it will bring up a graphical application that lets you set the resolution. Once you have the desired resolution click "Apply" to apply it immediately. You have to confirm that selection within 15 seconds via the popup dialog to ensure the resolution is usuable. Then click "Save" to save the configuration (where I don't know) and the next time you boot into PIXEL it will be at the new desired resolution.

Yeah!!!!!!!!
eeg

eeg

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:09 pm

No Sound while running Pixel on VMWare Fusion 8.5.3 on Late 2016 Macbook Pro 15 inch.

The mac says it has Intel HD Audio

The Pixel on enables an Ensoniq Audio PCI card.
eeg

smokingwheels

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:05 pm

lumsdot wrote:I used RUFUS to create a bootable USB (using fat32) and it works great, but the settings in Chromium and Sound Settings don't persist
on reboot.

I tried downloading Etcher but the download takes forever and keeps failing

Had to try a few different Wifi dongles , until I found one that was detected.
Just incase you have not got it sorted.
I have just tried RUFUS with Windows 10 and it seems you need to Write to USB In DD mode.
Will do more testing later on. In ISO mode I was able to run a Yacy search engine for some hours with no swap file and no persistence.
Last edited by smokingwheels on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikerr

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:39 pm

DanielBme wrote:Can't boot from my old Asus laptop. Cursor jumps blinks in the top left hand corner.
mine stalls at that "Black screen, cursor blink" for 10-20 seconds before continuing to boot fine (every time).
Might be an idea to leave it for 30 seconds to see if it continues for you.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Clanzer

Re: RASPBIAN WITH PIXEL DESKTOP FOR PC AND MAC

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:52 pm

Works okay on Vmplayer.

Created New Virtual Machine.

Pointed to the 2016-12-13-pixel-x86-jessie.iso as installer image.

Chose Windows 95 and left default settings.

On boot chose Persistence and worked like a dream.

http://www.pthat.com

Clanzer

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:48 pm

eeg wrote:
[*] Type the following command "sudo dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sda bs=1M" This will run for a few seconds and then report the success of the copy operation
Thanks eeg, just what I needed !
http://www.pthat.com

RenaudRenaud

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:48 am

Ha well, how to say that?

First, a big thanks for Raspbian Pixel.

Second, err... Remember, few years ago a little foundation decide to produce a batch of 1000 cards, and in December I've read something like "11 millions cards sold". And now I think Raspbian Pixel has the potential to become a real alternative to Microsoft Windows, a kind of a new standard, in the same way the Raspberry cards is now a standard.

So, I think we need more than just one thread in this forum, for the beginning,

Raspbian Pixel is a marvelous sandbox to test and try plenty of things. The persistence option is excellent and because the system is not huge, it could be virtualized quite easily.

I can use my notepad in the train to program in python, a kind of thing I cannot do with a Rasp (ok, except if I buy plenty of things).

I am very happy to use Raspbian Pixel since day one and please, make it HUGE !

doughadfield

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:10 pm

This is BRILLIANT!!! - I have a low-profile USB stick now permanently inserted in my HP Elitebook 8440p and I'm now fully converted to using Linux as my standard "home" desktop. I've tried other Linux desktops (Mint, etc) but they're too cumbersome. Pixel is really lightweight as well as being raspbian, so completely consistent with my (many) Pis.

REally looking forward to a properly installable version, so I can lose the USB stick and get even more of a performance boost from running it from my local SSD.

I think PIXEL for PC is not just a novelty for Pi lovers (like me) - it's a genuinely valuable addition to Linux desktops. To my knowledge there's not a "no-nonsense" lightweight everything you need, nothing you don't linux desktop provided by a well-supported provider. This, therefore, is the PC desktop I've been waiting for!

thank you soooo much, foundation folks - please make this a permanent addition to your product set, as it's really a valuable addition to the industry!

bring on the install-able version!!!

Doug

NicoVanDerDussen

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:41 am

Great product!

It allows me to boot a "light" system on my Windows 10 laptop - boot time around 10 minutes for Windows :( and using about 100MB just to sync all. This is a no-no for me in expensive bandwidth South Africa at home

So Raspbian/PIXEL on my laptop opens many avenues!

Room for improving the experimental product:

I'm using an ASUS Aspire E1-572G with Win10 as main OS

PIXEL USB stick won't boot with BIOS set to EUFI - must be set to "legacy" to boot from the PIXEL USB stick
A permanent install on an ancient machine would be great

Looking forward to the next version

Thanks for a GREAT product!

Nico
Setting up your Raspberry Pi to work with a 3G dongle http://nvdd.info/11gKrsZ

bensimmo

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:29 pm

For some feedback

(this part is also in specific separate thread wrt panel missing)
DISC worked fine (MagPi cover)
PenDrive written from downloaded ISO, booted up and no Taskbar.
switching out (C-A-F1) and killing ( sudo pkill lxsession), logging back in did not help (as per MAgPi, pg76)
Though a reboot worked and it's showing now.
(since you mention ALSA, that is HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer on this))

---------

There is an extra white thin line on the bottom and left of the splash screen, about an inch away from the main white splash square.

---------
Touch Screen doesn't work (which probably means our new school large touch screen (ITS's) will not as they use a similar tech to this)
This is a NextWindow 1926:0093
Though PIXEL looks like it needs some modification, from pretend poking, to be usable on touch screens, so not so good for ITS or IWB if they ever work.
--------

Currently 'apt-get'ting and there seems to be some updates coming down.

Everything else ok so far seem fine.

(Device Medion Akoya P4020D not tested out anythign else like camera, card readers, TV Card, since the Pi doesn't have them anyway. It runs Win10 fine)

bfagioli

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:06 pm

I cant get SSH working. I would like to use putty or remote desktop from my Win7 desktop. This works on all other Jessie based raspberry pi systems I own but I can not get it working for my new x86 image running on a DELL laptop (D620). Can we please have raspi-config available? That might help. I added the file /boot/ssh and restarted and the file was removed so did that configure ssh?? -- that's what its suppose to do. When I try to use remote desktop from my Win7 system to my x86 pixel system I always get an error with something about wrong authentication. Has anyone else been able to get putty or remote desktop working from a Win7 pc to to the x86 pixel image? Thanks.

Return to “Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac”