wildfire

Good games for a 10 year old?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:36 am

As I posted in another thread I'm buying my friends 10 year old daughter a Pi3B for Christmas, she's not into electronics or programming at the moment (that'll come later) but she does enjoy playing games on her Android tablet. The plan is to bring all the bits and bobs up and supervise while she puts it together, as well as a simple electronic project (traffic lights), However I think for the time being she'd be happier playing games.

The Pi will be using a 32Gb card (possibly 64) so space shouldn't be an issue, Natalie does like puzzle games so I'm looking for Ideas what to install so she can enjoy the Pi straight away.

Any Ideas, think of a 10 year old girl whose kinda a tomboy.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

DougieLawson

Re: Good games for a 10 year old?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Raspbian comes with some games already installed: scratch (which could be considered a toy programming language), minecraft (an ancient 2012 version of the blocky building game) and some simple python games.

If you want a games machine (without any effort) buy an Android tablet.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

wildfire

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:06 pm

She has one, I'm more interested in getting her excited about what she can eventually do with a Pi that isn't available with a tablet. Sure initially she'll use it for game playing but with a slow introduction she'll see there's much more to computers than games.

Natalie is a clever girl and I just want to open her mind to what is possible.

After all Isn't that why the foundation created the Pi?
Still NF Shirls

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Try Retro Pi, find some MAME ROMS', PacMan, Bubble Bobble, Mr Do! etc.

They may be from the 80's but still better than most handheld games!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

wildfire

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks James, completely forgot about mame and now you've triggered memories of Interactive Fiction, I feel a few months of text adventures for me and hopefully several years of a pleasurable Pi experience for Natalie.
Still NF Shirls

RaTTuS

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:57 pm

nethack - it is one of the best games ever
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

gregeric

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:10 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Raspbian comes with some games already installed: scratch (which could be considered a toy programming language), minecraft (an ancient 2012 version of the blocky building game) and some simple python games.
Add to that list of already installed games penguinspuzzle. To run it, type penguinspuzzle<enter> or pen<tab><enter> at a command line / terminal prompt & enjoy that 3D graphic puzzle.

Source code at https://github.com/peterderivaz/penguinspuzzle
Last edited by gregeric on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ejolson

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:45 pm

wildfire wrote:As I posted in another thread I'm buying my friends 10 year old daughter a Pi3B for Christmas, she's not into electronics or programming at the moment (that'll come later) but she does enjoy playing games on her Android tablet. The plan is to bring all the bits and bobs up and supervise while she puts it together, as well as a simple electronic project (traffic lights), However I think for the time being she'd be happier playing games.

The Pi will be using a 32Gb card (possibly 64) so space shouldn't be an issue, Natalie does like puzzle games so I'm looking for Ideas what to install so she can enjoy the Pi straight away.

Any Ideas, think of a 10 year old girl whose kinda a tomboy.
If you want the games to serve as a stepping stone to programming, choose games with publicly readable source code. There are quite a few such games available. The simpler the better as it takes less effort to think up ways to improve them. Maybe bumprace is a start.

bensimmo

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:54 am

One option is a separate card with RetroPi on, maybe the ScumVM plenty of adventure games there (though the tablet will also do it)
SNES and Gameboy games a plenty.

You can have fun getting it all working like my son has.
Grab some cheap usb controllers (or pull a keyboard keys apart and rearrange the a,b, x,y and arrow keys to make it a pad.)
There is more than just mame.

Also look at gamemaker and it's games, I think they ported some to run on the Pi. It a game programming environment and source code for games is there.
Keep an eye on humblebundle for whenever their next gamemaker bundle crops up.
I don't think gamemaker is working on the Pi yet though, shame as it's a nice way to tinker.

ghans

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 am

The simple Python games shipped with Raspbian are explictly meant to be read , modified and
to act as inspiration.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “General discussion”