PeteCress

Putting Up A Web Page: "Web Server"?

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:08 am

I am setting up some theromometers and AC relays to temperature-control an enclosure around a file server.

A web page is not a "Must" ... just a nice-to-have.

I'm thinking something that simply tells me the temperatures being recorded and *maybe* throws up a graph of the temperatures over time - all of which I could look at via my smartphone via it's Chrome web browser.

The Question: Am I now into creating a "Web Server" (whatever *that* is.... but it seems to involve installing/setting up something called Apache).

Not looking for "How-To".... just "Do I need...?"

DavidS

Re: Putting Up A Web Page: "Web Server"?

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:16 am

For that you do NOT need apache, ouch.

Use something like webjames for serving the page, and have the page dynamicaly generated, can be as simple as inserting some text into the body of a pre-created HTML. This will give you up to date details only requiring you to refresh the page.

There is no need for all the overhead of the huge stuff, at least not for your project.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

broe23

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:26 am

Yes you would need to install everything needed to make the Pi a LAMP server. http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Simple_Wheezy_LAMP_install Tomcat is easier for some compared to Apache. It is just your choice which one you like better. https://www.stewright.me/2015/08/tutori ... erry-pi-2/
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

JumpZero

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:13 am

Hello,
make it simple
rrdtool to create the graph and a light web server like lighttpd (https://www.lighttpd.net/)
check this to have an idea https://www.rosset.org/linux/temperature/howto.html

mfa298

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:06 am

PeteCress wrote:I am setting up some theromometers and AC relays to temperature-control an enclosure around a file server.

A web page is not a "Must" ... just a nice-to-have.

I'm thinking something that simply tells me the temperatures being recorded and *maybe* throws up a graph of the temperatures over time - all of which I could look at via my smartphone via it's Chrome web browser.

The Question: Am I now into creating a "Web Server" (whatever *that* is.... but it seems to involve installing/setting up something called Apache).

Not looking for "How-To".... just "Do I need...?"
Most modern languages (Python, Ruby, Nodejs etc) have libraries to create a basic web server which would suit your needs with no need for installing large packages like Apache, Nginx, PHP, MySQL etc.

If you want store data over a longer term then you may want some form of database, this could either be a traditional SQL db (MySQL, PostgreSQL) or one of the newer NoSQL / document store options (CouchDB, MongoDB, Redis etc)

For instance I've started working on a project in Ruby, as it needs a web server as part of the application I've added in Sinatra which handles all the detailed web stuff for me (my web code is just made up of templates in erb and routes using sinatra+ruby). If I need to add in longer term storage I might use CouchDB (mostly as I've used it before).

sparkyhall

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 am

As others have said you do not need to install Apache.

I have recently started using "cherypy" for one of my python projects and it works very well. I did install a more recent version of cherrypy through pip rather than use the one available through apt-get.

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:17 am

sudo apt-get install apache2 phpmyadmin

That's an instant way to get a LAMP (Linux Apache2 MySQL PHP) stack. It's easier than anything else. On a RPi3B you've got plenty of resources to run it. Everything else suggested in this thread appears to be complicating a simple problem.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Heater

Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:36 am

No you don't need a web server like Apache nor do you need a language that was designed for use in such a system like PHP.

You especially don't want them if you ever decide your web page should up date in real-time. Showing the changing states of GPIO's or presenting graph of temperature that rolls along with time. Those old web systems are not designed for that.

If I understand your requirements you just want a program that can read your temperature sensor(s), activate relays via GPIO, thus controlling the temperature. Also it should have a user interface displayed in a browser that shows the current temperature(s) and perhaps allows the user to change the set points.

All this can be done with surprisingly few lines of simple Javascript running under node.js. You will also need some Javascript to run in the web page to draw the charts and interact with dialog boxes, buttons etc.

The great advantage of using node.js is that you then are using the same language your main control program as you will have to use in the web page. Makes life nice and simple.

Node JS is very popular and widely used as a result there are node.js modules available to everything you need, reading sensors, driving GPIO, serial ports etc, etc, etc.

I put up about the simplest such node.js system to monitor and control GPIO pins here: https://bitbucket.org/zicog/pigpio2html

It would be very easy to add a temperature graph to that. Or whatever you want. We can discuss further if you are interested in this approach.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

johnb_summers

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:25 pm

DougieLawson wrote:sudo apt-get install apache2 phpmyadmin

That's an instant way to get a LAMP (Linux Apache2 MySQL PHP) stack. It's easier than anything else. On a RPi3B you've got plenty of resources to run it. Everything else suggested in this thread appears to be complicating a simple problem.
Yes, agree 100%, had 7 pi's running for a year all with the full LAMP, can all be controlled from the web including phones, very easy to do, I would give a list of my pi's domain names so you can see for yourself, as I have done here before and some of you have seen, but don't bother here anymore, have many projects running that can all be controlled from a phone or web page, using the GPIO and I2C chips. the full lamp as dougie suggested will work perfectly for you like it does for me.
MyPi Developer
http://mypiworld.com/
http://mypi.tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2nyRgg-SY&nohtml5=False

mfa298

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:44 am

Having done both LAMP setups and some Ruby+Sinatra. I'm not sure I'd say LAMP is any easier than some of the alternatives. Some of the LAMP examples I've seen on here for doing stuff with gpio is just messy (php execing python scripts based on the options sent to the page).

In python http://cherrypy.org/ (suggested by someone else earlier) looks relatively easy to start with - 10 lines of python code as the basic hello world web app and no need to install and configure Apache/Php/MySQL.

For Sinatra I started with this guide https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/sin ... -net-18965, the second part of that guide introduces using SQLite and erb templates (a way of keeping your html organised and separate to the code).

The beauty of using a Python/Ruby/Nodejs etc framework is that the same piece of code can easily handle interacting with your hardware and provide the web interface from the same thing. They also provide a means of scaling from something quite small to quite large apps (The likes of Django and Rails make up a good proportion of the larger web apps).

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:16 am

What do we actually need to meet the opening posters requirements?

1) A program running on the Pi that can read and write GPIO, interact with sensors attached via I2C, SPI, Serial whatever. Perhaps read and write files or to a database. Perhaps interact with other devices over the network.

2) HTML to render in the browser as some kind of GUI interface.

3) Javascript to go with that HTML page. This will make it possible to get data for display in real-time. Self-updating as it were. It makes things like rolling charts and such possible.

4) A means of getting that HTML and JS into the browser. That is to say a web server.

5) A means of communicating with between the web page and the program we have running so as to get data updates post user input for control etc.

Clearly we are stuck with HTML and Javascript. That is the only thing we can use in the browser GUI. That determines 2) and 3) above. What about the rest of it ?

Our program could be written in almost any language, C, C++, Python etc. There are libraries available for many of these to help with the hardware interfacing.

Items 4) and 5) are going to require a web server.

Traditionally this was provided by Apache or some such server package. Because that is all there was basically.

Of course that server can't just serve up static HTML text files to the browser. In order to display data that changes with time it needs to generate those pages on demand with current data values. So we need some programmability in the web server. Traditionally this was provided by PHP.

Now we have complex mess on our hands, we need to work in many languages, C or Python or whatever plus PHP plus HTML plus Javascript plus CSS. And we need that Apache thing. And we need to get them all playing together nicely. This is horrible.

We can simplify things by throwing out Apache and PHP and serving the HTML and JS from our control program directly. There are libraries available for many languages to make this easy.

That's better, now we only have our control program and the web page. We only need to work in Python (Or other) plus HTML and JS. Nice and simple.

But let's go one step further. Write the control program Javascript as well. Now we have a dead simple system of only JS and HTML. Sweet.

As a bonus node.js makes real-time communication between our program and our web page dead easy. Using web sockets.

Node.js makes this possible. Not only possible but very easy. With superior performance to Python or Ruby. And arguably a much bigger user community and hence support network. Very important when you are not sure what you are doing!

This is a "Hello world" web server written in node.js:

Code: Select all

app.get('/', function (req, res) {
    res.send('Hello World!');
});

app.listen(3000, function () {
    console.log('Example app listening on port 3000!');
});
Interacting with your sensors, GPIO, files, etc is similarly simple.

Contrary to mfa298 I would not call the node.js solution a "framework". You are just programming in a programming language, like any other. node is the run time for Javascript in the same way as Python or Java has run times. "framework" makes it sound like some big complex thing that dictates the form of your program. On the contrary, it's just a language with tens of thousands of libraries (modules) that people have contributed. Use them if you like.

mfa298

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:50 am

Heater wrote:Contrary to mfa298 I would not call the node.js solution a "framework". You are just programming in a programming language, like any other. node is the run time for Javascript in the same way as Python or Java has run times. "framework" makes it sound like some big complex thing that dictates the form of your program. On the contrary, it's just a language with tens of thousands of libraries (modules) that people have contributed. Use them if you like.
Framework was probably the wrong term there, I was trying to be all inclusive of all the options out there (be it language, library or framework). I don't think I'd had caffeine at that point (at least that's the excuse I'm sticking to).

To some extent it would be useful to know what the OP already has in place and what they have experience with as then someone with experience in that area can suggest suitable languages/libraries/frameworks that will fit in with their existing code (I only know the PHP and Ruby options for webdev). If they've written their, presumably, console based app in PHP (unlikely I know) then LAMP might be the way to go. Otherwise it's probably best to work in their preferred languages.

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:58 pm

No worries, we can forgive almost anything before the first caffeine shot of the day.

Yes, some feedback from the OP would be useful.

Mind you, if it happens that the controller code is already written, in C or whatever, that the best approach is to run that from a node.js web server...One really does not want to get into HTTP wrangling in C or even Python...

PeteCress

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:38 pm

mfa298 wrote:
Heater wrote:To some extent it would be useful to know what the OP already has in place and what they have experience with....
In Place: Nada.... just a bare-bones Pi-3 with Samba for Windows Share access and TeamViewer for remote GUI access. ..... Juicy on my phone for command-line access... but I'm not a command-line person.

Got some temp sensors, a couple of AC power relays, assorted patch cords/breadboards, and so-forth coming sometime this week.

Experience: Mostly Microsoft Office Suite VBA. ..... Once I re-coded one of my smaller apps to run under VB6 to get a feel for man-hours/estimating in case sombody just had to have their app developed in a "Real" language... but mainly VBA.

I have more than a few years of development experience, but I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree - so the idea of Java allowing for the fewest number of languages/environments appeals to me.

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

Ah right. Good to know where we are starting from.

Nada is a good starting point. No old baggage to carry around. :)

Just to be clear, when I say node.js and Javascript that is not Java. These are very different things. Javascript is a lot nicer, quicker and easier to get on with. Javascript is what is built into nearly all web browsers.

Another neat thing about getting into Javascript is that you are then all set to program all kind of other devices. Like the tiny Espruino http://www.espruino.com/Pico or your Pebble Smartwatch. Or even make apps for Android and IOs. Or what about that server you have on Amazon or Google cloud?

You might find it interesting to read AdaFruit's articles on node.js starting here: https://learn.adafruit.com/node-embedde ... ode-dot-js then continuing with instructions on installation and getting a little project going.

Mind you that seems to be somewhat out of date, I'm sure it still works but node.js has been developing rapidly. We can discuss how to get more up to date if the idea takes your fancy.

You will have to become master of the command line to some extent. Although I spend most of my JS development time in Microsoft's Visual Studio Code IDE. Which is very nice and can be installed on the Pi with Raspbian now a days.

Speaking of which Microsoft now has it's own version of Node.js that uses their own Javascript engine. That might be an indication of how seriously the world is taking all this.

tpylkko

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:00 pm

Would it be too complicated for you to run an MQTT client and just send the sensor data to some place where you can read then. AFAICS you only need to read the data. Well, for example Adafruit has a cloud system that I think is essentially like if you set up your own mosquito server except you don't need to set up anything only get an account. Then you log in to your account and you can see graphs of your sensors from anywhere in the world. I haven't used it, but my understanding is that it is really simple to set up and takes care of all the rendering of that graphs and stuff. The only hard part is sending the data there, and that is not very hard, all you need is maybe scripting in Python.

But then again, if you have done VB I think you will appreciate javascript. And I think installing a LAMP stack is a bit overkill, although it might be the easiest to learn to do.

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:24 pm

Yeah, making use of a cloud service might be the easiest way to go sometimes. I make use of dataplicity.com and resin.io to get control of remote Pi for example.

But hey, this is the Raspberry Pi and we are here to learn how to do stuff for ourselves. :)

The LAMP stack certainly is overkill. Even worse it makes the problem harder!

DavidS

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:49 pm

OK NOW:
Everyone is attempting to make this complicaed (even the node.js method is more complex than needed). You may as well say, 'he does not know how to swim so let us throw him in the middle of the ocean so he has to swim or die'. Let us try KISS.

What is needed:
  • 1 : A very simple web server that supports post.
  • 2 : A emplate header, and rest of page/footer for the HTML of the page, includiing a < meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5" > tag.
  • 3 : A program to read the sensors, write out some text, join he HTML Header + new text + rest of HTML.
For 1, use jus abou any small little web server.

For 2,
Make the top portion of the page up till where the text of the current sensor data goes. then in a seperate file everything after the sensor data.

The < meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5" > tag will cause the page to be refreshed every 5 seconds.

Include some buttons that produce a simple post that he web server can write a simple file (preferably in RAM Disk) for your program to read.

For 3 :
Write your program to read the sensors and control your output in what ever lang you want, and have it read in the file produced by the Web server in responce to the post commands.

For output of sensors just write that to a text file, then copy the head of your html, the text file of the output, and the rest of your html together into the html that you are serving.

This is best practice:
This method does not restrict you in any way, and it works with almost any web browser (even if no JS support). You can setup HTTPS login only use pretty easily with almost any small little low resource web server.

You do NOT need JS or PHP or any of that stuff. Do things reasonably.

To other responders:
I can understand why some suggest the convolution of PHP even though it is nearly the worste way around things. I do NOT understand how anyone could thnk to suggest LAMP.

I am also very surprised that anyone would make such assumptions as to suggest JS for this.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:17 pm

DavidS,
This is best practice:...
Really? As far as I know almost nobody does that. What "practice" are you refering to there?
I do NOT understand how anyone could thnk to suggest LAMP.
Agreed. Me neither.
I am also very surprised that anyone would make such assumptions as to suggest JS for this.
Hmmm...OK. This sounds like a challenge...

Can you create the same functionality as my humble example https://bitbucket.org/zicog/pigpio2html using your best practices. Then we can compare the complexity of our solutions.

Admittedly my example is not so pretty or polished or even the best way to do things if your project gets bigger. It's only supposed to be a hint at how to get started with node.js and websockets.

The most basic requirement there is:

1) Display the state of GPIO inputs in the web page and update them as they change.

2) Allow users to click on someting that will be a GPIO output, relay that intention to the Pi as they do so.

3) Allow multiple page viewers at the same time.

4) Must be useable from Raspian. Because that is what most people here have.

5) Must be able to develop and test the code on any Windows, Mac or Linux desktop machine (Admittedly with the GPIO parts substituted for test stubs.) Because, well why not it's easy to do.

I look forward to seeing your "best practice" solution.

When we have that in place we could extend the challenge to adding some security with HTTPS or perhaps add a graph that updates in real time.

Just for fun.

tpylkko

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:31 pm

As we can see, there are many different ways to do something like this. Which way makes more sense could be further evaluated by making some design decisions, such as on what platform/what places do that data need to be available, how often does that data need to be updated (on demand or some frequency), does that data need to be stored in addition to being displayed in real time etc.

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Oh yes, there are thousands of ways to skin cats. And millions of cats that need skinning.

Actual requirements is of course a good idea, platforms, data rates, user interaction, etc, etc..

But what if none of that is very clear? What if you just want to get something up as soon and as easily as possible? What if you don't yet know what the possibilities are? What if you just need a comfy playground to kick ideas around in?

Then you need Javascript and node.js

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

:)

DavidS

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:50 pm

Heater wrote:DavidS,
This is best practice:...
Really? As far as I know almost nobody does that. What "practice" are you refering to there?
I do NOT understand how anyone could thnk to suggest LAMP.
Agreed. Me neither.
Hmmm...OK. This sounds like a challenge...

Can you create the same functionality as my humble example https://bitbucket.org/zicog/pigpio2html using your best practices. Then we can compare the complexity of our solutions.

Admittedly my example is not so pretty or polished or even the best way to do things if your project gets bigger. It's only supposed to be a hint at how to get started with node.js and websockets.

The most basic requirement there is:

1) Display the state of GPIO inputs in the web page and update them as they change.

2) Allow users to click on someting that will be a GPIO output, relay that intention to the Pi as they do so.

3) Allow multiple page viewers at the same time.

4) Must be useable from Raspian. Because that is what most people here have.

5) Must be able to develop and test the code on any Windows, Mac or Linux desktop machine (Admittedly with the GPIO parts substituted for test stubs.) Because, well why not it's easy to do.

I look forward to seeing your "best practice" solution.

When we have that in place we could extend the challenge to adding some security with HTTPS or perhaps add a graph that updates in real time.

Just for fun.
Any example would have the same flaw that yours does, that is the assumption of the OP wanting to use a particular language. That is the flaw in suggesting JS, or any other lang.

The OP has not thus far said what programming language they wish to use.

Also your example assumes what OS the OP is using, hence the means of instructon I gave as independant of both OS and Programming Language.

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:19 pm

DavidS,

What "flaw"? There is no flaw in my response. It's perfectly workable.

The opening question is asking how to do something. Specifically measure temperatures, control relays, displays some data about that in a browser.

Presumably that involves using a Rapsberry Pi. Else why ask here?

It does not specify any language to be used. In fact our OP seems healthily open to suggestions in that respect.

Of course one should be open to using different languages for different tasks. For performance reasons, or whatever criteria.

Yes, I assume our OP is using Raspbian. Why not? But my proposed solution is not restricted to that. It will work under Windows, Mac, Linux. Even on odd things like MIPS routers running OpenWRT. (Given adaptions to the hardware interfaces available of course)

Unlike your suggestion to use webjames, which as far as I know only works under RISC OS. That is a flawed suggestion.

There are of course many ways to tackle the problem. See my comment about skinning cats above. I have made my suggestion which is quite simple and workable. Perhaps others have better ideas.

DavidS

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:46 pm

@Heater:

I only mentioned webjames as an example, explicitly saying something like. And not that it matters, though I was not aware that there are not other ports of WebJames, sorry to all non-RISC OS users for your loss :( .

As to OS, you are still eliminating one of the two OS's that the RPi Foundation explicitly stated it would activly support back when they said what they support in 2012. They still have not changed that statement.

The two OS's are Standard form Linux (through the Raspbian distro) and RISC OS.

So where an OS is not specified it is probably a good idea to at very least include both of these in any given responce. And to the best of my knowledge there is not yet a port of node.js for RISC OS.

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:24 pm

DavidS,

I am not eliminating any OS with my proposal. I'm embracing as many as possible: Windows, Mac, Linux (Many flavors) BSD. And whatever platform, x86, ARM, MIPS. That covers 99.999% of computer users out there (Give or take a 9)

It's even possible to run such a node.js solution with no OS. Just a Linux kernel: https://node-os.com/

I'm pretty sure that if anyone were keen they could get node running on RISC OS as well. There is a challenge for you.

No. I will not be considering RISC OS in any of my future solutions or suggestions. There is no point. Almost nobody uses it. It's not a cross platform solution. And it's not Open Source (As far as I can tell).

Kind of makes me sad to say all that given how much I lusted after an ACORN RISC machine back in the day.

Return to “General discussion”