jozicka

PI as wakeUP server, alternative way-without router access

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi,
I would like to use my PI as wake-up server in my network, however I do not have access to router, and also my IP is not public.

So I have a idea to have a alternative way, using of possibility to map of Gdrive or other cloud storage.

The idea is simple - schedule job on PI that will every minute run script for if file present on Gdrive ( something like: if exist /mnt/..../WAKEUP/PC1.txt then send wake up command to PC1 etc).

So if I from my mobile put a file named PC1 under folder WAKEUP to a Gdrive, my PI will within one minute wakeup a PC1.

Do you thing this way is possible? I'm not good with setting up anything on PI - It takes me ages to find out proper guidelines, and then get lost in the middle, so I'm asking before I start, If there is not a bug in my plan.

What do you think? (and sorry for my bad english)
J.
Last edited by jozicka on Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmarmisa

Re: PI as wakeUP server, alternative way

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:35 am

Your project seems feasible.

If you need a wol client, install the package wakeonlan:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wakeonlan

Code: Select all

wakeonlan 00:11:22:33:44:55

jozicka

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Thank you for tip. I'm out of the city now, but when I get back, I will try to set it up and update the result ☺
Last edited by jozicka on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thagrol

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:03 pm

If you're going to be working in python and don't want to use an external tool, have a look at my code here: https://github.com/thagrol/fakewake

Specifically the functions make_packet and pack_mac in fakewake.py
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

jozicka

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:23 pm

SUPERB!! IT works :)

I have attached google drive using GDriveFS
I have Installed WAKEONLAN tool

I have created a simple script WAKE.BAT (sorry, bad habit from NT commands):

if ls /mnt/gdrivefs/PI/PC1.txt 1> /dev/null 2>&1; then
wakeonlan aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
mv /mnt/gdrivefs/PI/PC1.txt /mnt/gdrivefs/PI/WPC1.txt
else
echo "files do not exist"
fi

and I set in crontab job to execute it every minute (may be I can swith to every 5 minutes)
*/1 * * * * /home/pi/Desktop/WAKE.bat

So if I put under G drive in PI folder file named PC1.txt, it will wake my local network pc, and rename the file to WPC1.txt

I know it is very simple, but working :) As I do not have access to router and my IP is not public one, I guess this is the only way to go ..

(In fact it would be no problem to use this way as a terminal communication - if exist /PI/RUN.bat, execute it , output put to RESULT.txt and rename RUN.bat to DONE.bat... but wakeup is just enough for me )

depauw

Re: PI as wakeUP server, alternative way-without router acce

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:10 am

Very clever workaround!!!!
Well done!

jozicka

Re: PI as wakeUP server, alternative way-without router acce

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Small update - I have found the gdrivefs very unstable and taking too much memory.
Due to that I switched to fetchmail solution. Pi every 5 minutes checks emails and if subject is wakeup then it sends signal to wake pc... Now it works properly ☺

Return to “General discussion”