bubblegumpi

Uninstalling programs?

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:30 am

Is an installing a program complicated like on windows where you have to not only delete files but there are registry keys?

Or is it just a straight forward deleting of files?

Does the " remove" command just delete files or does it do more than that?

I just set up my pi and installed that windows Iot package thinking it was a simple program, not 6 GB of my 16 GB flash drive. Would rather have the space then to play with something I might not use.
New to Linux, Keep in mind I'm legally blind, so my questions may seem dumb. Yes, I did a search, that's why I'm here. Links to FAQ'a and youtube are a HUGE help.| MY OS: Pi 3B with Oct'16 Noobs Raspberrian, 16Gb SD drive, HDMI video, no extras

DavidS

Re: Uninstalling programs?

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:11 am

bubblegumpi wrote:Is an installing a program complicated like on windows where you have to not only delete files but there are registry keys?

I just set up my pi and installed that windows Iot package thinking it was a simple program, not 6 GB of my 16 GB flash drive. Would rather have the space then to play with something I might not use.
Just look at what the package added to the system, remove any files that were added by it or the newly installed dependancies, then undo any changes to other files. It is Linux there is no registery.

Have no idea what package you speak of, though it sounds huge. Also you will want to start looking at the size of the what is to be installed before you accept it.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

bubblegumpi

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:44 am

...or the newly installed dependancies, then undo any changes to other files....
I guess thats my question. I know dependencies are extra files associated with it? How do I know what other files to look for that were changed? How can I tell they were changed? I guess I should have said I have been using linux for the first time. Thats kind of like telling some one with a broken car " Well, just fix the broken part and your car will run fine"

Its the noobs Windows Iot package that comes with it as an option when installing for the first time. Seems like an operating system because it gives you the option to boot it up. I just want to keep this thing simple for when it breaks.
New to Linux, Keep in mind I'm legally blind, so my questions may seem dumb. Yes, I did a search, that's why I'm here. Links to FAQ'a and youtube are a HUGE help.| MY OS: Pi 3B with Oct'16 Noobs Raspberrian, 16Gb SD drive, HDMI video, no extras

DavidS

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:34 am

bubblegumpi wrote:
...or the newly installed dependancies, then undo any changes to other files....
I guess thats my question. I know dependencies are extra files associated with it? How do I know what other files to look for that were changed? How can I tell they were changed? I guess I should have said I have been using linux for the first time. Thats kind of like telling some one with a broken car " Well, just fix the broken part and your car will run fine"

Its the noobs Windows Iot package that comes with it as an option when installing for the first time. Seems like an operating system because it gives you the option to boot it up. I just want to keep this thing simple for when it breaks.
The easiest way is to keep a log when you install. The package manager will tell you what all is being installed, so you need only keep the record, and possibly a diff of ls -R / > beforelist created before the install and ls -R / > afterlist created after the install.

though to remove the packages it is best to use the package manager, so that it knows that you have removed the packages.

As to modified files, that takes a bit more attention.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

broe23

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:16 am

install Synaptic and use that to remove. Not that hard as long as there are not some dependencies that are depended on by other programs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:18 am

bubblegumpi wrote:Is an installing a program complicated like on windows where you have to not only delete files but there are registry keys?

What did you actually install and how did you install ?????
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

broe23

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:02 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:

What did you actually install and how did you install ?????
Not hard with Synaptic or Webmin. Both would show installed programs.
Last edited by broe23 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

sparkyhall

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:05 pm

I think when the OP says he installed windows Iot he means "Windows IoT" which has nothing to do with linux. I'm afraid I have no idea how that installs though.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:15 pm

sparkyhall wrote:I think when the OP says he installed windows Iot he means "Windows IoT" which has nothing to do with linux. I'm afraid I have no idea how that installs though.
I would hazard a guess he used NOOBS to install multi-OSes and if so the only way to get rid of Windows 10 IoT Core is to start afresh ;)
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

broe23

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:45 am

sparkyhall wrote:I think when the OP says he installed windows Iot he means "Windows IoT" which has nothing to do with linux. I'm afraid I have no idea how that installs though.
They have to learn somehow to do this. Learning how by the seat of your pants is how most of us tend to figure this stuff out. Of course errors like forgetting what you installed or making a stupid mistake, usually comes from spending way too much time pushing yourself to finishing something and not remembering what it was after spending all day working with something like the Pi.

Kind of like last night when I was finishing putting the final fixes to optimize Linux Mint on my wife's laptop. One little comma left out in fstab really makes you look stupid when you think that it could be hardware and grabbing the Live DVD to only find out that you made two mistakes. One issue in Grub and one issue in fstab. If we do not break stuff to begin with, we can never learn how to fix things.

Return to “General discussion”