Shaftspanner

cifs filesystem not supported by the system

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:01 pm

I'm trying to set up a brand new RPi3 the same way I've already set up a RPi2b.

The RPi3 has been setup with Raspbian Jessie (using NOOBS), then updated using apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade

On the RPi2b, I have mapped a shared drive on a local Ubuntu server using cifs. This is mounted at boot via /etc/fstab and works flawlessly.

When I copied the relevant line into /etc/fstab on the RPi3, and run mount -a, I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
/etc/fstab:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
#/dev/mmcblk0p6  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
/dev/mmcblk0p7  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
#   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that
/dev/sda1 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
//192.168.1.202/storage /mnt/lisa cifs credentials=/home/pi/.smbcredentials,noexec 0 0
.smbcredentials also mirrors the file on the RPi2.

Any help gratefully received.

DougieLawson

Re: cifs filesystem not supported by the system

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Share the drive on your RPI2 using NFS and you'll find things work a lot easier. NFS is the linux way. CIFS is the Windows way and linux just about tolerates it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

NFS is easy once you've done the exports on the server system. Stuff can go in /etc/fstab on the client to automagically mount an NFS share.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Shaftspanner

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:50 am

Thanks Dougie,

That worked a treat. Just need to switch all the other clients over to nfs now!

mc007ibi

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Same here! Can't mount a simple windows share. I search the internet and tried all what was recommended. Output when mounting:

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.37/PMaster /PMaster -o user=mc007

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device

scruss

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:29 pm

You are running kind of an old system; uname on my 3B returns a date in September 2016. Try sudo apt update, then sudo apt -y dist-upgrade. You will likely need to reboot to get a new kernel.

Does the folder (copied from the other post) /PMaster exist? Can user mc007 write to it?

What error messages are included in dmesg output? The cifs module will only be loaded on a successful network filesystem mounting. I've just managed to successfully connect to a network share with this link in my /etc/fstab:

//diskstation/music    /mnt/music    cifs    credentials=/etc/samba/diskstation.cred,rw,noperm,iocharset=utf8,user,noauto,vers=3.0  0       0
and could issue mount /mnt/music without sudo.

Some network shares are more picky. I have a network scanner with storage that will only mount with the options username=guest,password=foo,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,noserverino,users,rw.

(updated 2017-07 with new, seemingly required, vers=3.0 option.)
Last edited by scruss on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

mc007ibi

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 am

Hi,
thanks for the heads up!

After digging I found the real problem: I was booting from a USB drive via cmdline.text:root=/dev/sda2 option. In my case there was another kernel in place but the modules were not present in /lib/modules/4.xxx. So I copied those modules over and all works now. That also solved a bunch of other problems for me (missing entries in /dev/....)

WinMac32

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 pm

mc007ibi wrote:Hi,
thanks for the heads up!

After digging I found the real problem: I was booting from a USB drive via cmdline.text:root=/dev/sda2 option. In my case there was another kernel in place but the modules were not present in /lib/modules/4.xxx. So I copied those modules over and all works now. That also solved a bunch of other problems for me (missing entries in /dev/....)
Can you expand on this? I'm in the exact same situation. I'm booting from a USB with kernel 4.4.9, but there are no modules present for kernel 4.4.9 in /lib/modules. Thus, modprobe cifs returns "could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.4.9+/modules.dep.bin'".

Where can I get these modules from?

Thanks.

WinMac32

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:40 am

Sorry, nevermind.

I've switched from pipaos to raspbian and things are working better.

Might have also had something to do with the SD card perhaps disconnecting (seems the connection is finicky; I have to put pressure on it for good contact) while the kernel was updating.

In any case, a clean install worked for me.

Return to “Troubleshooting”