marakalastic

Is Pidora on the Raspberry Pi B+ dead?

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a new batch of Raspberry Pi B+ that my Pidora image will not boot on, the green LED does not flash once on this new batch. A major difference I noticed between the B+'s I had already used vs. the new batch was the change in RAM chip from Micron to Elpida. I've even tried a fresh Pidora image downloaded from their website, the results remain the same.

Has anyone else gotten a workaround for this issue? Or will Pidora no longer work on the Raspberry Pi B+ from here on out?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Is Pidora on the Raspberry Pi B+ dead?

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:33 pm

marakalastic wrote:Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a new batch of Raspberry Pi B+ that my Pidora image will not boot on, the green LED does not flash once on this new batch. A major difference I noticed between the B+'s I had already used vs. the new batch was the change in RAM chip from Micron to Elpida. I've even tried a fresh Pidora image downloaded from their website, the results remain the same.

Has anyone else gotten a workaround for this issue? Or will Pidora no longer work on the Raspberry Pi B+ from here on out?
Would appear development stopped 2 years ago, which is a shame, maybe try:

https://pignus.computer/index.html
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

gregeric

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:40 pm

As a workaround you might try copying new firmware to your /boot partition (make a backup first). Keep your current kernel, but take bootcode.bin, start_elf.bin etc from: https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware/tree/debian/boot

marakalastic

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:42 pm

gregeric wrote:As a workaround you might try copying new firmware to your /boot partition (make a backup first). Keep your current kernel, but take bootcode.bin, start_elf.bin etc from: https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware/tree/debian/boot
Just tried keeping the kernel.img's, grub folder, and lost+found folder and replaced bootcode.bin, start_elf, start_x.elf, fixup.dat, etc... to no avail. The card won't be able to be read (green LED stays on) if I make these changes.

Looks like Pignus is the way to go. I'm surprised more people have no reported this issue with the original B+.

marakalastic

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:04 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
marakalastic wrote:Hey guys,

Would appear development stopped 2 years ago, which is a shame, maybe try:

https://pignus.computer/index.html
Just tried Pignus, it ONLY works on the old B+'s I have with the Micron RAM chip and I am able to log in successfully. The Pi B+'s from the new batch I received with the Elpida RAM chip fail to detect an ethernet connection on boot so it hangs mid-boot. Seems this issue is more on the Raspberry Pi Foundation's decision to switch RAM chips.

Gavinmc42

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:47 am

I just got the Zero version working.
Can login with Windows via USB serial.
Can ping it in Linux Mint.
Have not tried on a B+ as I was looking for a Zero specific OS.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”