DavidS

Like Pixel + unrelated questions

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:43 am

On Pixel
I do over all like pixel so far (just began using it today). The only negative so far is the ugly retro late 1980's/early 1990's flat widgets, and retro window boarders (though those are purely aesthetic).

Would like to know how to change the window decorations in this desktop environment to something more modern looking?

Other unrelated questions:
Using Linux enough to ask the following finally:

1: How do you exit the X Windowing System? On most Linux Distros I have used on other platforms it is a menu option, though not with this desktop enviroment.

2: Where can I locate some decent documentation on programming for the Framebuffer?

3: Is there a good reference to using OpenGL, without X as implemented on the RPi (I understand it is a subset of OpenGL)?

3: I am just learning to program for X using XLib as well as through XCB. Are there any good resources on learning to use XCB (I have found plenty of tutorials on XLib that assume a programmer is reading)? EDIT: Further research has shown that both of these are high level toolkits, not simple wrappers :( . So not interested.

4: Where can I find some decent documentation on programming for SDL?

5: Has anyone yet ported Cura? Slic3r is great, though there are a few cases where the small differences make it so that I want to use Cura.

6: Is there a complete list of the coreutils somewhere, along with quick usage documentation (I am pretty sure I do not yet know all of them, as I had not been a heavy Lunux/BSD user since the mid 1990's, preferring RISC OS in the mean time)?

7: Knowing that there are a huge number of HLL's available for ARM Linux (many just for Linux in general), what are the merits of those that people are familiar with (excluding C, C++, Java, Java Script, Pascal, Python, Fortran, Forth, and Lua; I am already familiar with these)?

8: What are the BASIC veriants available, with the pros and cons of each (excluding Brandy BASIC and FreeBASIC, those two I know).

9: Where can I find good information on using the DRM (Direct Rendering Module) for more than a dumb framebuffer?
Last edited by DavidS on Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Re: Like Pixel + unrelated questions

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:38 pm

I am guessing that no one here knows the answers to any of these simple questions?

I have been doing the google it thing and many of these questions remain completely unanswered, some of them sort of answered though poorly answered.

So I would appreciate any input that may help to answer these simple questions, please.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 pm

DavidS wrote:On Pixel
1: How do you exit the X Windowing System? On most Linux Distros I have used on other platforms it is a menu option, though not with this desktop enviroment.
If you're asking what I think you're asking it is a menu option ie. one of the Shutdown options - "shutdown" to the command line. (NB. however I don't automatically boot into the Desktop but prefer to "startx" when I wish to use it. Most of the time I run my Pi's headless and SSH into them since I can only easily share/switch my large VGA/HDMI monitor with my dual-boot netbook and one Pi at a time**)
Trev.
**FWIW one of the more complex arrangements, involving a 3-port HDMI and 2-port USB switch, used in the past, is shown here:
https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... tcher.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

treeHouse

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Look under
Preferences/Raspberry Pi Configuration

There you will find an option in the "system" tab to boot to the command line.

Then when you want the GUI you can just "startx".

DavidS

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:16 am

So I am guessing that the menu option only appears if X is manually started?

And it is startx on Raspbian instead of xin?

rpdom

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:59 am

DavidS wrote:So I am guessing that the menu option only appears if X is manually started?

And it is startx on Raspbian instead of xin?
It has been startx, xinit or just plain X (uppercase intentional) on every Linux system I've ever used. What is xin?

ghans

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 am

On programmig the framebuffer :

http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.de/201 ... _9509.html

The variant of OpenGL currently supported on the Pi is called OpenGL ES. A proper
OpenGL driver is being worked on (search for Eric Anholt).

The GNU project prefers the "hypertext" info help system over
traditional manpages.

Code: Select all

info coreutils
should work.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DavidS

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:45 am

ghans wrote:On programmig the framebuffer :

http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.de/201 ... _9509.html

The variant of OpenGL currently supported on the Pi is called OpenGL ES. A proper
OpenGL driver is being worked on (search for Eric Anholt).

The GNU project prefers the "hypertext" info help system over
traditional manpages.

Code: Select all

info coreutils
should work.

ghans
Thank you much.

DavidS

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:51 am

Ok now that many of my questions have been answered, I have struck out the answered questions.

Though I have one new question on the list:

9: Where can I find good information on using the DRM (Direct Rendering Module) for more than a dumb framebuffer?

Return to “Raspbian”