rushin010

Remote desktop connection with raspberry pi

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:21 am

hello there i want to see raspberry pi's windows on my windows 7. for that i am using remote desktop connection
i am following this post http://www.circuitbasics.com/access-ras ... onnection/

i installed sudo apt-get install xrdp.
but when i am trying to connect using remote desktop, i am getting error like

connection to sesman ip 127.0.0.1 port 3350
sesman connect ok
sending login info to session manager, please wait...
xrdp_mm_process_login_response: login succesful for display
started connecting
connecting to 127.0.0.1 5910
error - problem connecting

can you help me what is my problem??

rushin010

Re: Remote desktop connection with raspberry pi

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:30 pm

waiting for anyone's response. can anyone help me??

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:34 pm

You posted at lunchtime on a weekday and expect the folks who provide the voluntary support on this forum to have answered in four hours.

Think again. This is FREE (as in beer) support, it isn't a paid for service.

BTW 127.0.0.0 to 127.255.255.255 addresses ALWAYS point to the localhost. You can't ever connect remotely to a 127.0.0.0/8 address.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

rushin010

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 pm

thanks for your support. then can you tell me how to connect raspberry pi with pc using remote desktop??

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:24 pm

rushin010 wrote:thanks for your support. then can you tell me how to connect raspberry pi with pc using remote desktop??
Install xrdp or x11vnc or tightvncserver on your RPi.

Find your RPi's IP address with hostname -I # that's minus capital eye or a ip addr | grep global command. Connect the appropriate client RDP or TightVNC or RealVNC on Windows to the server running on your RPi.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

barry914

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:08 pm

You might want to install MobaXterm on your PC. It features a terminal window, a graphical file browser, and SSH port forwarding. Use that feature to run an X-session over SSH. When you create an SSH session using the Session icon, choose the Advanced SSH Options tab and change Remote Environment from Interactive Shell to one of the desktops in the drop-down menu.

It also includes a graphical text editor, a bunch of tools and even a collection of games.

fotoartist78

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:55 am

I have tried to setup 'MobaXterm' with little success. Can anyone please describe the steps necessary in MobaXterm in order to get successful communication with SSH and Rpi3.

gideonyuval

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:25 pm

Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem described here, on my new Raspberry Pi 3. Connecting via putty is fine, but when I try the remote desktop, I get the same as others here:

connecting to sesman ip 127.0.0.1 port 3350
sesman connect OK
...login successful for display
started connecting
connecting to 127.0.0.1 5910
error - problem connecting

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Gideon

roshan-dsouza

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Gideon,

I had same problem, and Klaus solution at https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=2886.0 is worked for me.
Solution:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
Hope it helps.

Regards,
Roshan

gideonyuval

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:01 pm

Thanks Roshan for giving a hand!

In the end I moved to vncserver, similar to what you suggest. The instructions at https://www.realvnc.com/docs/raspberry- ... rry-pi-ssh are good, but don't help with the display parameters needed in order to view correctly on the screen (at least in my headless set-up). For this, http://elinux.org/RPi_VNC_Server was great.

Thanks again,
Gideon

TideMan

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:33 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Install xrdp or x11vnc or tightvncserver on your RPi.

Find your RPi's IP address with hostname -I # that's minus capital eye or a ip addr | grep global command. Connect the appropriate client RDP or TightVNC or RealVNC on Windows to the server running on your RPi.
Alternatively, you can use hostname.local where hostname is the name of your RPi. This does require bonjour on your PC (which is part of itunes). On the RPi, the multicast domain name server avahi is needed, but it's already installed in Jessie.

JKY

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:05 am

Having spent three hour this morning with the same XRDP issue, I just wanted to advise that installing tightvncserve also fixed my issue with XRDP.

Thank you for that.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:24 am

JKY wrote:Having spent three hour this morning with the same XRDP issue, I just wanted to advise that installing tightvncserve also fixed my issue with XRDP.

Thank you for that.
You're living with ancient history. TightVNCServer has been deprecated in favour of RealVNC and the latest apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade will remove tightvncserver from your system.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/get-ba ... c-connect/
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/minecr ... -over-vnc/

JKY

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:44 pm

Isn't RealVNC a service you have to join?
I just wanted to us MSTSC from my Windows desktop without the need for extra application.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:28 pm

JKY wrote:Isn't RealVNC a service you have to join?
No. Not unless you want the VNC from anywhere feature.

kraigo

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:59 pm

While I respect that Dougie Lawson knows _WAY_ more about Linux in general and the Pi in particular than I do, RealVNC is the problem when using XRDP with Jessie. I'm confident that this will get fixed, but in my experience, as of today tightvnc is the solution. Just verify that the 4/10/2017 2.4 image didn't fix it, I took an existing Pi/Jessie and did a sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade on it and rebooted. The problem persists.

I'm not holding myself out as an expert and I would love to be proven wrong (seriously, I'd like it if RealVNC worked with XRDP), but as far as I know, as of 04/23/2017, the solution is as listed above: install tightvnc.

KO

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 pm

What does xrdp / Windows RDP give you that can't be done with RealVNC (which is orders of magnitude more secure and has the exceedingly useful Cloud based service (if you choose to use it))?

Get rid of xrdp, get rid of tightvnc and try RealVNC, you will be impressed. The folks in Cambridge at RealVNC (just up the road from Raspberry Towers) have done a wonderful job of making their product available for us.

The Cloud service means I can leave my RPi at home and do desktop based GUI things on it from the pub (or from Timbuktu, or the International Space Station, or the North Pole - if I can get a reliable connection to the Internet).

fruitoftheloom

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 pm

kraigo wrote:While I respect that Dougie Lawson knows _WAY_ more about Linux in general and the Pi in particular than I do, RealVNC is the problem when using XRDP with Jessie. I'm confident that this will get fixed, but in my experience, as of today tightvnc is the solution. Just verify that the 4/10/2017 2.4 image didn't fix it, I took an existing Pi/Jessie and did a sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade on it and rebooted. The problem persists.

I'm not holding myself out as an expert and I would love to be proven wrong (seriously, I'd like it if RealVNC worked with XRDP), but as far as I know, as of 04/23/2017, the solution is as listed above: install tightvnc.

KO
XRDP / tightvnc / x11vnc / and similar conflict with RealVNC

It is not a bug to be fixed as DL states RealVNC is far better and the RealVNC developers have tweaked their software for the Raspberry Pi:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/get-ba ... c-connect/
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

Return to “Troubleshooting”