sparky0815

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:06 am

r11318 images + files of FAT partition currenty uploading

http://sparky0815.de

:geek:
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CocodaMonkey

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Saprky,

What's up with the four different files you posted? I get two of them have different partition sizes for different cards but beyond that I'm lost why you have two general ones.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use one of your builds and then just use gparted to resize the storage partition to fill my 32GiB card?

I'm currently using one I built myself but from reading this thread I'm starting to think I might have messed something up because my menus are brutally slow and if I scan in about 100 movies with fanart the menus become essentially unusable as it takes about 40 seconds to a minute to scroll past each movie. Even at idle I never drop lower than 80% CPU usage (checking with top from ssh) in r11315. Which is way better then r11263 where idle never dropped below 99% cpu usage.

Chris_Berlin

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:35 pm

onetootreefor wrote:
kenny_55 wrote:I have made some tests and got a theory that buffering issue caused by bad networking performance of RPi. Moving files to USB attached harddisk (or even fast SD card) on RPi through LAN (it's 100MB full) connection from my windows PC is at speed of 1.9MB/s. well bellow the 20MB tested with hdparm.

yes when i transfer to/from the pi i see a steady connection of 1.9MB/s. I wonder if the latest builds are throttling the ethernet somehow?
Same problem with the 11315 & 11318 build. :oops: Is there a solution? I have different problems with other versions. :(

milhouse

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:07 pm

CocodaMonkey wrote: Is there any reason I shouldn't use one of your builds and then just use gparted to resize the storage partition to fill my 32GiB card?
No reason why that won't work - and then once you have a working card, you only need to update the files in the primary partition (using the small archive file) with each new build, you never need to reimage the entire card again. With each new build, the only files that need to be updated are those in the small FAT partition (generally - sometimes with new functionality it helps to restore defaults but this is rare).

Although if you're prepared to use gparted, you might as well create the partitions with the correct sizes from scratch, using the parted command line instructions on OpenELEC (part 2) then copy over the boot files from the sparkys FAT archive, and you're mostly done - just set up advancedsettings.xml as follows once you've booted:

Code: Select all

<advancedsettings>
  <splash>false</splash>
  <showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>
  <cputempcommand>cputemp</cputempcommand>
  <gputempcommand>gputemp</gputempcommand>

<gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
    <visualizedirtyregions>off</visualizedirtyregions>
  </gui>

<samba>
    <clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
  </samba>

sparky0815

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:36 am

r11324 files of FAT partition uploaded...

you can use the latest sd card image (r11318) and overwrite fat partition with r11324 files

http://sparky0815.de

:geek:
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CocodaMonkey

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Does anyone know how to generate a changelog for the changes? It would be really nice to see what they had worked on.

sraue

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:07 pm

CocodaMonkey wrote:Does anyone know how to generate a changelog for the changes? It would be really nice to see what they had worked on.
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/commits/master

david_Est

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:12 pm

with openelec on raspberry pi, is possible to install the transmission daemon?

Benja

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Any news on the rt8192cu ?
I've been trying to get get the latest build to work, but the wifi is being troublesome..
It seems from /log/mesages/ that the module is identified just fine, but then there is an error and the system proceeds to ignore the module. Or am I just not reading it properly?
Anyways, the device does not show up in ifconfig.
/var/log/messages: http://sprunge.us/EijU
lsusb: http://sprunge.us/jhBh
lsmod: http://sprunge.us/CXbU

geep999

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:45 am

Asked this qustion on the OpenELEC forum but no response, so I am trying here...
OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120614193607-r11315 on Raspberry Pi with TV connected via HDMI.
The TV sys that it's displaying "1080p @ 60Hz"; a Bush 24" 1920x1080 pixels, model 24LED10DVD.

The problem is that the edges are cutoff. At the top right I only see the bottom half of the time.
Similar amount missing in the other corners.

This makes it difficult to control - can only see the end of text in the left side menus!
All videos have the edges cutoff too.

Is there anywhere I can adjust this?
Anybody else having this problem.?
(On the default Debian / Raspberry Pi Linux installation, some monitor settings are in
/boot/config.txt; this doesn't seem to exist in OpenELEC).

Cheers,
Peter

t-a-s

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 am

geep999 wrote:...The problem is that the edges are cutoff. At the top right I only see the bottom half of the time.
Similar amount missing in the other corners.

This makes it difficult to control - can only see the end of text in the left side menus!
All videos have the edges cutoff too...
If I understand you correctly, adjusting the zoom (Settings > Appearance > Skin) may fix your problem if all four corners are cut off.

Alternatively there is an option under Settings > System >Video Output called Video Calibration which may help if it's just one or two corners cut off.

HTH

geep999

Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks for the tip about Video calibration - I'd looked there but only saw the "pixel-ratio".

Have now tried the video calibration - the first option is "Top-Left overscan compensation".
I did a screenshot of this and discovered the "arrow", which I can't see at all on my TV.
Luckily it's possible to select it - any click within the area bounded by the 2 lines.
Also set "lower-right" and "pixel-ratio" - so I was able to adjust the menus perfectly .

But video calibration seems to have absolutely no effect on video playback, neither "top-left overscan", "bottom-right" nor "pixel ratio adjustment".
Wonder if there's something hard-coded somewhere relating to the RPi GPU hardware which isn't adjustable as it's not exposed to OpenELEC or xbmc. Or have I got a rubbish TV? I'd never ever seen HD displayed on the TV until I got the RPi. Will try the TV with BluRay and my son's Sony PS3 this evening and see how it looks.

As an aside, it's difficult to leave video calibration - clicking the X in the top right corner doesn't seem to work, and I am not sure how to leave consistently. Random clicks (increasingly frenzied) with both mouse buttons work eventually. Would like to know which file stores these options.)

I don't understand the other Video output > System - Settings options.
"Test patterns" does nothing.
Enable LCD/VFD doesn't make a visible difference - it's off by default. What is it?
(Even http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/System doesn't list it.)
((When displaying the menu the TV says 1080p @ 60Hz and when playing an .mp4 [h264] video it says 1080p @ 50Hz)).

Vertical blank sync - using default setting "Let driver choose".

I also looked at Settings - Videos > Playback > Videos - Settings
Defaults are:

Code: Select all

Render method - Auto-detect
Pause during refresh rate change - On 
Sync playback to display - Off
A/V sync method - Greyed out
Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars - Normal. (Also tried the max of 20% - made no difference). 
Display 4:3 videos as - Normal
Cheers,
Peter

warhog

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 pm

hey guys,
still having the buffer issues on some files.
today i ripped one of my blu-rays including the dts-hd audio track.
i played the first seconds without switching on the av receiver
(just forgot to switch on) and the audio got played although my tv don't
even support dts (without hd)!
i have chosen dts and ac3 capable receiver in the settings.

does the downmixing gets activated automatically if the raspi detects
that there is no dts/dts-hd capable device?

i asked this earlier but there was no answer till now :(

edit: there is no second audio track in the file. not even another language.

setup:
tv: samsung le37b650
av receiver: pioneer vsx-521
raspi->av receiver->tv, all through hdmi

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm

warhog wrote: does the downmixing gets activated automatically if the raspi detects
Yes. You should be able to run tvservice -a to see what we believe the audio support is.
Obviously plugging in a DTS capable receiver after video starts playing is going to confuse things...

Patrik

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Benja wrote:Any news on the rt8192cu ?
I've been trying to get get the latest build to work, but the wifi is being troublesome..
It seems from /log/mesages/ that the module is identified just fine, but then there is an error and the system proceeds to ignore the module. Or am I just not reading it properly?
I asked this earlier and got no answer, but unfortunately the included 8192cu kernel module is not working and it's need to be blacklisted and the latest one should be built and included from the Realtek website.

There is an issue already about it on github, but there is no answer too.

warhog

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:23 pm

dom wrote: Yes. You should be able to run tvservice -a to see what we believe the audio support is.
Obviously plugging in a DTS capable receiver after video starts playing is going to confuse things...
many thanks!
on the first run only 2channel pcm was shown, now it lists ac3,dts,dts-hd and stereo.
but the buffering issues are still there.
also my receiver shows dts instead of dts-hd when i start playing a dts-hd only file.

need to retry my previous files later.

dom

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm

warhog wrote: also my receiver shows dts instead of dts-hd when i start playing a dts-hd only file.
Passthrough of DTS-HD Is not currently supported. Only AC3 and DTS.

warhog

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:40 pm

dom wrote:Passthrough of DTS-HD Is not currently supported. Only AC3 and DTS.
k thx.
any plans on that?

mactalla

Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 pm

dom wrote:
warhog wrote: does the downmixing gets activated automatically if the raspi detects
Yes. You should be able to run tvservice -a to see what we believe the audio support is.
Is there any way to force this?

I have HDMI connected to the TV and then toslink from TV to speakers. The speakers are capable of AC3 and DTS and the TV offers digital passthrough. On earlier builds I could get an AC3 signal and a DTS signal directly to the speakers (different streams, obviously). But now DTS is not sent and according to tvservice -a DTS is not listed. So now I understand why it's downmixing, but I also know that it's possible for my setup and I don't want it to be so 'smart' since my speakers have no way to communicate back to the TV/raspi that it is able to handle it.

IMHO: tvservice -a should be used to generate the defaults on firstboot, but then the settings for "DTS capable receiver" should override auto-detection. Of have a tri-state: on/off/autodetect.

Benja

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Patrik wrote:
Benja wrote:Any news on the rt8192cu ?
I asked this earlier and got no answer, but unfortunately the included 8192cu kernel module is not working and it's need to be blacklisted and the latest one should be built and included from the Realtek website.

There is an issue already about it on github, but there is no answer too.
Oh well, thanks for the answer! Guess I'll just have to wait patiently then. Good thing my Pi is already doing a very fine job as a PVR / usenet client, and the media center thing is just a plan for the next Pi(s)! :)

Nodge

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:15 pm

I still have problems with artwork for TV Series. I tried r11320 yesterday and it is still there. Basically, straight after setting the content and scraping the TV Database everything looks ok when you first go to TV Series on the main menu. But then if you go through the various view options (List, Thumbnails, Wide Icons etc) then things get corrupted. I've attached some screenshots to show what happens. Sorry about the poor quality pics but hopefully you can see what is happening. In Pic 4 & 5 you can see that the orientation of some of the banners has rotated through 90 degrees and they have got corrupted.
Attachments
TVSeries2.jpg
TVSeries2.jpg (57.1 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

keenan

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Does anyone know how I can manually change the addons via ssh? I've gone back to r11203 and for the life of me, even after a little prayer, I can not get ANY additional addons to show up..

I go to change the skin, but the list is empty, no addons what so ever, not even a sub section list of available addons..

I've tried rebooting, manually powering on and off, no luck..

Network is connected via ethernet cable..

Thanks

gimli

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Nodge wrote:I still have problems with artwork for TV Series. I tried r11320 yesterday and it is still there. Basically, straight after setting the content and scraping the TV Database everything looks ok when you first go to TV Series on the main menu. But then if you go through the various view options (List, Thumbnails, Wide Icons etc) then things get corrupted. I've attached some screenshots to show what happens. Sorry about the poor quality pics but hopefully you can see what is happening. In Pic 4 & 5 you can see that the orientation of some of the banners has rotated through 90 degrees and they have got corrupted.
xbmc log with debug turned on please.

calinp

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:03 pm

keenan wrote:Does anyone know how I can manually change the addons via ssh? I've gone back to r11203 and for the life of me, even after a little prayer, I can not get ANY additional addons to show up..

I go to change the skin, but the list is empty, no addons what so ever, not even a sub section list of available addons..

I've tried rebooting, manually powering on and off, no luck..

Network is connected via ethernet cable..

Thanks
Try to delete the folders database and thumbnails located in /.xbmc/userdata/ and reboot. It worked for me.

mrlinux2u

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:10 pm

is it possible to add some modules to the modules file?
The reason being I have a belkin wireless adaptor (F5D7050) that according to the rpi wiki needs the following loaded (usbcore) before it will work properly.

cheers

Return to “Media centres”