oldschl

Win32DiskImager errors

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:58 pm

I would like to be able to backup my images using Win32DiskImager OR FlashNul. I have not been able to using two Kingston SDHC SD4\8GB cards. I have tried them using two different readers (one attached to a laptop and the other is an external card reader).

I am able to write the 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img image file to both using both readers, but when I turn around on a fresh image and try to Read the file to disk using Win32DiskImager, it will get to 1% and then will give me a Read Error - Error 23: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). When I use the external SD reader, what I believe is happening is that it will read the FAT partition of the card, but it cannot read the second ext4 partition. Windows does not recognize it either. When it tries to read the second partition (I believe that is how it is setup, right?), on my external card reader, the light will shut off and the card reader stops reading. There isn't a light in my laptop card reader, but it acts the same way, where after the first partition (first 1% of the card), it dies on me.

My final goal is to be able to backup my images (because I'm having some other problems with Raspbian and the RPi), but I'm unable to do it using any windows software at this point. I know that the Win32DiskImager developer checks in here, so hopefully this provides more information to fix the problems I'm experiencing, and others have reported as well.

In the meantime, has anybody been able to overcome this issue? I've ordered replacement cards since these Kingston cards are reported to have problems with the upgraded version of Raspbian according to the hardware compatibility wiki, but I'm not sure if just swapping out cards will solve my problem.

drgeoff

Re: Win32DiskImager errors

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm

I have never used Win32DiskImager before reading your post but I've just downloaded v0.7 to try backing up an 8 Gbyte Sandisk card with an RPi OS on it. Using Windows XP, Win32Disk Imager succeeded without any issues producing a single 8 Gbyte file.

oldschl

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm

It seems to work for only some readers or some cards. It's not really predictable what will or will not work.
I've tried two machines (laptop and desktop running win7), two different readers, and two cards of the same type, and couldn't get it to work.

caerandir

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi, I can report success with the following constellation(s):
  • WinImager 0.0.0.4
  • Card readers (just tried the second one out of curiosity):
    • Built-In Card Reader (no idea how to find out the manufacturer - Reports in Device Manager as "Generic MS SD Reader USB device"
    • hama USB 2.0 Card Reader 35 in 1 (external)
  • SD cards:
    • CnMemory SD-HC 8GB Class 6 card
    • Paradies 2GB card
    • Xmore store 1GB card
    • Transcend 1GB card

caerandir

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Sorry, wrong WinImager Version - it is 0.6

oldschl

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Here are my configurations:

Lenovo W520
Win32DiskImager v0.7
Built in Card Reader and Transcend external Multi-card reader M3 D33193
Windows 7
Kingston SDHC SD4/8GB
Could write the Raspbian image to the SD card, but could not read it

Custom Built PC
Win32DiskImager v0.7
Transcend external Multi-card reader M3 D33193
Windows 7
Kingston SDHC SD4/8GB
Could write the Raspbian image to the SD card, but could not read it

oldschl

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 pm

So, I decided to purchase a pair of Transcend SDHC cards to see if the problem was the card. Without changing the reader, I was able to write and then read back from the new cards.
So, just in case someone has the same problem, the Kingston's for some reason gave me problems, but a pair of Transcend SDHC 8GB Class 10 cards worked as expected.

michaeljquinn

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 am

When I strike problems, I run SDFormatter on the card
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

fooBart

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:52 pm

I bought a cheap card reader with a built in MicroSD slot (ACRINTEX2053HYD).

Got lots of errors trying to write to my Kingston MicroSD - hardware errors reported from DiskPart, cyclic redundancy check failures from Win32DiskImager etc

Fixed it by using the SD card adapter and putting it into the SD card slot of the same el cheapo card reader.

pcmanbob

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:02 pm

I've been using only these on my Pi2 's Kingston 8GB micro SD HC class4
and a mixture of kingston 2GB SD and intergral 4GB SD HC class 4 on my Pi B's
all are genuine cards
read and write using win32Diskimager version 0.6
on custom build AMD PC
running WIN XP pro
using generic card reader usb2.0 installed in pc

I always used a micro to full size SD card adapter and the only problem I have ever had was when one of my adapters failed.

I also have a custom built AMD PC
running ubuntu server 14
using a T-Flash micro sd card to usb adapter

I don't seem problems with this when using the SD cards above
only ever had a problem reading a Kingston 32GB micro SD HC class 4 card, would fail at about 20% but was readable on the above windows setup.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Return to “Troubleshooting”