,i see :

Code: Select all

# Default settings for chromium-browser. This file is sourced by /bin/sh from
# /usr/bin/chromium-browser

# Options to pass to chromium-browser
CHROMIUM_FLAGS=""
what is the meaning of this sentense ?

GPU is disabled by default. If you are using the OpenGL driver, remove the flag in /etc/chromium-browser/default
Can i enable video decoding in new release ?

thanks
Yes you can, it's just not that great. I need to remove that line. Just flip the correct flag in Chrome://flags
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

cjan

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:12 pm

kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:
cjan wrote:51, there is no 'Media Source API' option in flags.
and, there can not found 'Enable dev mode in chrome://extensions, go to options, Player, and disable DASH'.
At the top there is a check box for developer mode.
yep, enable dev mode already, but nothing happen --> go to options, Player, and disable DASH ???

kusti8

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:14 pm

I forgot to say, drag the crx from that page before into the extension page and it will install it.

cjan

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:33 pm

kusti8 wrote:I forgot to say, drag the crx from that page before into the extension page and it will install it.
crx ?? puzzle game?

kusti8

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:35 pm

cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:I forgot to say, drag the crx from that page before into the extension page and it will install it.
crx ?? puzzle game?
In that post I linked to this:
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter ... er-Version
You must have missed that. Download the crx and drag it over.

cjan

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:59 pm

kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:
crx ?? puzzle game?
In that post I linked to this:
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter ... er-Version
You must have missed that. Download the crx and drag it over.
ok, found it, thanks.

Jimblob64

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Sorry for the re-post of something I did earlier- hadn't known first posts take several hours to moderate, and ended up posting 2 whole pages back from the present.

Just posting this again, to ensure the issue with high CPU load and extreme lag with hardware acceleration is known:
First: Thank you for doing this for Raspbian Jessie. I've been happily using Chromium 50 for home and work on my Pi 3B for a month now.

Thought I'd try and help out a little with feedback, since there is a fairly major performance difference between Chromium 50 and 51 for me.

On v50, these forums loaded smoothly, and even Google Docs was at least usable in terms of responsiveness. Since the update to v51, I saw hardware acceleration is now enabled. (Mental "Whoohoo!") Sadly, every time I enable hardware acceleration in Chromium Settings, every single page lags. Not just Google Docs anymore, but even these forums. Heck, even the Chromium Settings page- nay, the Chromium menu itself has an awkwardly long pause to load.

Changed my memory allocation to give 256 MB to the GPU and restarted, thinking it'd make a big difference from my usual 64 MB. Nnnnnnope!

Only way to speed it up is to go to Settings and uncheck "hardware acceleration if available."

Any thoughts about why this might be slower with hardware acceleration than without (putting aside that it's a Raspberry Pi, and that might be a reason all its own)?

And is there any additional information it might help to know? If there's anything I can do, please do let me know.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping my browsing solely software-accelerated. The advantages of having the same bookmarks sync on all my computers and phone continue to far outweigh lack of, or lagginess of, hardware acceleration anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the 90%-100& CPU usage whenever I click anywhere inside the Chromium window with hardware acceleration enabled. It's more like 40% if I switch to software acceleration.
Hope it's fine to re-post this, just this once. I don't remember seeing it mentioned in the 2 pages since yesterday, so...
RPi 4B w/ Buster in a toasty little official case, and an RPi 3B w/ Stretch.

kusti8

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Yes I had seen that. I assume it is from copying the GPU data to Chromium which causes the slowdown. To me, it is not enabled by default. I don't think it's worth the effort, just stick with software.

gkreidl

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:14 pm

I think "GPU" acceleration is falling back to software without a working OpenGL driver. Maybe someone can test it with the experimental driver (I won't because it keeps all the things I need from working).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kusti8

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:58 pm

gkreidl wrote:I think "GPU" acceleration is falling back to software without a working OpenGL driver. Maybe someone can test it with the experimental driver (I won't because it keeps all the things I need from working).
That's it. I tried it with the driver and I forget how it worked out. I think it was still a bit more slow than software and video wasn't an improvement.

demian_2

Re: Guide: Chromium 50 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:57 pm

kusti8 wrote:It looks like your system is read only. You need to at least make the home directory a RAM disk.
i kusti8
thanks for your reply, i have the same problem with chromium 51.
how I do this?
(make the home directory a RAM disk)
i have a fresh install of last raspbian.

cheers!

kusti8

Re: Guide: Chromium 50 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:05 pm

demian_2 wrote:
kusti8 wrote:It looks like your system is read only. You need to at least make the home directory a RAM disk.
i kusti8
thanks for your reply, i have the same problem with chromium 51.
how I do this?
(make the home directory a RAM disk)
i have a fresh install of last raspbian.

cheers!
You made it read only? Here: https://www.jamescoyle.net/how-to/943-c ... k-in-linux

Edit: do you have enough free space?

jakky567

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:00 am

The opengl driver and hardware acceleration in chromium work very well for me together except for video playback. Enabling hardware acceleration without it enabled is the most awful experience ever.

StangPi

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:43 am

Forgive my noobness on this. Just recently got an RPi2, and then a RPi3.

I am starting to learn programming and installing through the Terminal.

Does "|" indicate to move on tinput the next install command? or how do i do this properly without messing up my Pi?

kusti8

Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:56 am

StangPi wrote:Forgive my noobness on this. Just recently got an RPi2, and then a RPi3.

I am starting to learn programming and installing through the Terminal.

Does "|" indicate to move on tinput the next install command? or how do i do this properly without messing up my Pi?
That character is a special character that you must type. It's easier to copy and paste. You proceed to the next command when there is a new line.

coloop

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:19 am

kusti8 wrote:
coloop wrote:when i open this location :

/etc/chromium-browser/default
,i see :

# Default settings for chromium-browser. This file is sourced by /bin/sh from
# /usr/bin/chromium-browser

# Options to pass to chromium-browser
CHROMIUM_FLAGS=""
what is the meaning of this sentense ?

GPU is disabled by default. If you are using the OpenGL driver, remove the flag in /etc/chromium-browser/default
Can i enable video decoding in new release ?

thanks
Yes you can, it's just not that great. I need to remove that line. Just flip the correct flag in Chrome://flags
thanks.
i try all of conditions and i cant enable video decoding.
any time i played video by chromium-browser,it used CPU instead GPU !
"override ..." flag is enabled.
and "chrome://gpu" shows hardware-acceleration is enable !
i want to play videos which located in my memory-card by chromium.

gkreidl

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:46 am

coloop wrote: thanks.
i try all of conditions and i cant enable video decoding.
any time i played video by chromium-browser,it used CPU instead GPU !
"override ..." flag is enabled.
and "chrome://gpu" shows hardware-acceleration is enable !
i want to play videos which located in my memory-card by chromium.
Chromium-browser does not have any support for the video decoding hardware of the RPi and will probably never have.
"Hardware acceleration" means support for 3D effects (webGL) and accelerated compositing, which will not work as long as we don't have a functioning OpenGL driver.

People always seem to believe that "hardware acceleration" is a kind of magic thing that supports everything out of the box. Acceleration of 3D effects and video decoding by the GPU are completely different things and require different software interfaces.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

mjflynt

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:25 pm

I have been using these instructions to upgrade Chrome periodically from v44 onward, and they work great! Thank you. I typically use the Synaptic Package manager for most installs except for Chrome, and I just reloaded the package information in Synaptic. I had Chrome v50 already installed based on the instructions in this post. I marked all upgrades in Synaptic, and oddly, Chrome was one of them. I looked at the entry for this, and it said it was upgrading from v50 to v51, and it did once I performed the installs.

So, it seems there is now another way to get Chrome? I didn't think you could install Chrome past v22 (or whatever it was) from the repository? I am confused, but very happy this worked. :D

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:47 pm

mjflynt wrote:I have been using these instructions to upgrade Chrome periodically from v44 onward, and they work great! Thank you. I typically use the Synaptic Package manager for most installs except for Chrome, and I just reloaded the package information in Synaptic. I had Chrome v50 already installed based on the instructions in this post. I marked all upgrades in Synaptic, and oddly, Chrome was one of them. I looked at the entry for this, and it said it was upgrading from v50 to v51, and it did once I performed the installs.

So, it seems there is now another way to get Chrome? I didn't think you could install Chrome past v22 (or whatever it was) from the repository? I am confused, but very happy this worked. :D
Chrome is the Google Browser, Chromium is the Open Source Browser fro which Chrome is compiled. Therefore you have Chromium Browser !!

When you installed Chromium Browser from the instructions in the first Post of this thread it adds an entry to your Sources List, therefore apt-get or in your case the apt GUI Synaptic will check for an update.

Retired disgracefully.....

Ben_is_best

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:58 am

DNPNWO wrote:Reverting back to v50.

v51 is choppy as hell in 720p on youtube. Almost unwatchable.

In v50 720p, full screen, with "Media Source API" disabled in "chrome://flags", video playback is smooth.

Tried to disable "media source api" in v51 flags, but it doesnt appear to even be there?
It isn't there for me, either.

kusti8

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:59 am

Ben_is_best wrote:
DNPNWO wrote:Reverting back to v50.

v51 is choppy as hell in 720p on youtube. Almost unwatchable.

In v50 720p, full screen, with "Media Source API" disabled in "chrome://flags", video playback is smooth.

Tried to disable "media source api" in v51 flags, but it doesnt appear to even be there?
It isn't there for me, either.
I already had this conversation. See above. Either use the extension to do the same thing as said above or use rpi-youtube.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:51 pm

kusti8 wrote: I already had this conversation. See above. Either use the extension to do the same thing as said above or use rpi-youtube.
Actually, there is a third option (the one I took)...reinstall v50. Playback and functionality is 100 times better in 50 than it is in 51. I plan to skip 51 and wait and see how 52 is.

kusti8

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:52 pm

DNPNWO wrote:
kusti8 wrote: I already had this conversation. See above. Either use the extension to do the same thing as said above or use rpi-youtube.
Actually, there is a third option (the one I took)...reinstall v50. Playback and functionality is 100 times better in 50 than it is in 51. I plan to skip 51 and wait and see how 52 is.
Or that.

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:11 pm

kusti8,

... are you still hosting kweb, or have you switched to Chromium (completely) or are they connected in some way?

Are you hosting both?

marcus
marcus
:ugeek:

gkreidl

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:29 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:kusti8,

... are you still hosting kweb, or have you switched to Chromium (completely) or are they connected in some way?

Are you hosting both?

marcus
kusti8 is hosting the chromium-browser packages - that was his main intent. He is also hosting his own rpi-youtube package which depends on (parts of) the kweb package and so he is also hosting kweb.

Return to “General discussion”