kusti8

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:55 pm

lumsdot wrote:Yes i disabled the media flag.
360p is the best i can watch,
Which is fine for me.
I dont like the rpi youtube dl idea, ive tried it with kweb and found it hit and miss.

It would be good to know what the advantage of 51 is over 50.
It could be every new version of chromium goes slightly slower than the last due to additional features
Each version includes speed optimizations as well as more features. If you compare the old v22 to v51, there is a huge speed boost.

I'm curious at how you think rpi-youtube is a hit and miss. It works every time for me. I'd like to say that I can't improve the software if nobody tells me these things.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:04 pm

lumsdot wrote:Yes i disabled the media flag.
360p is the best i can watch,
Which is fine for me.
I dont like the rpi youtube dl idea, ive tried it with kweb and found it hit and miss.

It would be good to know what the advantage of 51 is over 50.
It could be every new version of chromium goes slightly slower than the last due to additional features
I do not know about your setup, perhaps the difference is I am running fully updated (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade) with newest kernel (4.4.13), and I also have speed increases for ram and arm/cpu, etc. I am also running with a heatsink and fan to prevent throttling.

In my case, I am able to run Youtube on v50 in 720p fulll screen.

There are some other videos by the guy that made the above 720p chromium browser youtube video that show you how to configure and setup the pi 3 for optimal performance and speed.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtMmE5 ... gqN6w0ZA2A
Last edited by DNPNWO on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lumsdot

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:07 pm

I will give the chromium youtube dl fix a go

In kweb it gave me problems, but it was a long time ago so i cant remember the details.

I like to keep my pi build as simple as possible, which is one of the reasons i have avoided it.
Plus i have slow broadband, so 720p youtube is not always an option, unless i can pause and build up the buffer.

I think chromium is great, thanks for your work on it

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:10 pm

lumsdot wrote:I will give the chromium youtube dl fix a go

In kweb it gave me problems, but it was a long time ago so i cant remember the details.

I like to keep my pi build as simple as possible, which is one of the reasons i have avoided it.
Plus i have slow broadband, so 720p youtube is not always an option, unless i can pause and build up the buffer.

I think chromium is great, thanks for your work on it
I've tried to keep it as simple as possible. I'm debating on weather including it in Chromium by default, but I don't want to become another Windows 10.

Overclocking may help video performance, but the video about Chromium by that person is not correct and they are not open to improving it. I do not recommend following that. The use I suspect is the now banned Rive and has not replied to any of my suggestions.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:15 pm

kusti8 wrote:
Overclocking may help video performance, but the video about Chromium by that person is not correct and they are not open to improving it. I do not recommend following that. The use I suspect is the now banned Rive and has not replied to any of my suggestions.
Hmm, that could be true. I read some of rive's posts here, and he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable when it came to cooling and overclocking. I think the foundation gave him a raw deal banning him.

in any event, why do you say the chromium video is incorrect? What needs improvement? It all seemed to work flawlessly for me, and took only a few seconds.
Last edited by DNPNWO on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:19 pm

DNPNWO wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
Hmm, that could be true. I read some of rive's posts here, and he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable when it can to cooling and overclocking. I think the foundation gave him a raw deal banning him.

in any event, why do you say the chromium video is incorrect? What needs improvement?
He was banned for a legitimate reason. He was being very negative to an autistic man and did not reply to any PMs asking him to stop. The discussion is still here, just locked.

The chromium install instructions are incorrect and greatly differ from mine and totally unnecessary. He (but I'm not expecting it) did not reference this discussion for users needing help etc.

The videos about cooling are not really necessary unless you're an enthusiast or running 100% 24/7.

But this is off topic...

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:22 pm

kusti8 wrote:. He was being very negative to an autistic man and did not reply to any PMs asking him to stop. The discussion is still here, just locked.
Yeah I heard about that. That thread was heavily edited by mods is what I hear. The story is apparently that autistic user (wasn't his username "I am gay" (emghey) or something?) was trolling for gay sex hookups (and that user was banned for that reason also).

back on topic....I do not quite follow on what you are saying is the issue with the video for the chromium install are incorrect? Seemed to install the Ubuntu v50 chromium browser just fine. isn't that where you get yours too? Ubuntu version of the chromium browser?
Last edited by DNPNWO on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:25 pm

DNPNWO wrote:
kusti8 wrote:. He was being very negative to an autistic man and did not reply to any PMs asking him to stop. The discussion is still here, just locked.
Yeah I heard about that. That thread was heavily edited by mods is what I hear. The story is apparently that autistic user (wasn't his username "I am gay" (emghey) or something?) was trolling for gay sex hookups (and that user was banned for that reason also).
It's off topic and not right to discuss here. I didn't see everything, but I trust the mods for doing the right thing.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:58 pm

I've tried to keep it as simple as possible. I'm debating on weather including it in Chromium by default, but I don't want to become another Windows 10.
Please notify before you do that, because the version before that will be the last one I install, and I need to know when to disable the repo like so:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list 
add "#' (or delete entire line)

#deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:01 pm

DNPNWO wrote:
Please notify before you do that, because the version before that will be the last one I install, and I need to know when to disable the repo like so:

Iudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list 
add "#'

#deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main
Yeah. I probably won't do it. Just thinking out loud. I don't want to pressure anybody. As the Pis get more powerful (although it won't be until 2-3 more years), this will be needed less and less. Now it is needed for real youtube viewing.

lumsdot

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Am fairly sure omxplayer does not support usb audio.

A usb dac makes the pi a great yotube music player.

Default pi audio is poor compared to a usb dac

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:14 pm

lumsdot wrote:Am fairly sure omxplayer does not support usb audio.

A usb dac makes the pi a great yotube music player.

Default pi audio is poor compared to a usb dac
It does not.
Edit : VLC (with HW) does support it, and I may be able to add support for that. But then again, omxplayer works fine for most people, so I think I'll keep it.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Another good reason why I do not want to use the rpi-youtube....

I use a bluetooth wireless speaker. Sometimes I use it wired into the 3.5mm jack, sometimes I use it wirelessly. The rpi-youtube/omxplayer work around for Chromium browser Youtube breaks that and becomes non-functional. To me the whole thing is superfluous anyways...Just configure/optimize your pi, and you are good to go with HD youtube content right in the browser itself.
Last edited by DNPNWO on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lumsdot

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:28 pm

My usb dac sound card works fine when i play music and videos inside chromium.

Think thats why i did not install rpi youtube dl

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:28 pm

DNPNWO wrote:Another good reason why I do not want to use the rpi-youtube....

I use a bluetooth wireless speaker. Sometimes I use it wired into the 3.5mm jack, sometimes I use it wirelessly. The rpi-youtune/omxplayer for Chromium browser Youtube breaks that and becomes non-functional.

Better just to configure the pi (3) for optimal performance, and do HD Youtube right in the Chromium browser itself IMHO.
You get less quality with Chromium, but it is a tiny bit easier.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:31 pm

kusti8 wrote:
DNPNWO wrote:Another good reason why I do not want to use the rpi-youtube....

I use a bluetooth wireless speaker. Sometimes I use it wired into the 3.5mm jack, sometimes I use it wirelessly. The rpi-youtune/omxplayer for Chromium browser Youtube breaks that and becomes non-functional.

Better just to configure the pi (3) for optimal performance, and do HD Youtube right in the Chromium browser itself IMHO.
You get less quality with Chromium, but it is a tiny bit easier.
That is what you keep saying, but I do not see it myself. I see smooth 720p fullscreen youtube video content in Chromium browser v50, no choppiness, no buffering (unless my broadband internet becomes sluggish).

Something is definitely wrong as far as performance goes at least with v51. Even in 320p normal mode, it is sluggish and choppy. Something users may want to take into account before upgrading from v50 to v51.

I know you just take the Ubuntu chromium browser and tweak it to work in Rasbian, but something is not quite optimized now in v51. Something is broke.

cjan

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:19 pm

kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:50 can not play youtube forward.
51 can not play youtube 360p smooth.
ps. Rpi2
You did this
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=148452
?
51, there is no 'Media Source API' option in flags.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:57 pm

what do you mean exactly by "v50 cannot play youtube forward"?

Do you mean like clicking on the play bar to skip ahead in video? or do you meaning something else like settings and speed? like 2x (2)?
Last edited by DNPNWO on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

cjan

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:11 am

DNPNWO wrote:

Do you mean like clicking on the play bar to skip ahead in video? or do you meaning something else like settings and speed? like 2x (2)?
yes, play bar time scope.

DNPNWO

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:12 am

cjan wrote:
DNPNWO wrote:

Works for me in 50...

2x speed

Playbar skipping forward:

cjan

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:25 am

DNPNWO wrote:
cjan wrote:
DNPNWO wrote: what do you mean exactly by "v50 cannot play youtube forward"?

Works for me in 50...
yep. some can & some can't, see forum above.
btw, glass skateboard, prank.

cjan

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 am

cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
51 can not play youtube 360p smooth.
ps. Rpi2
You did this
?
and, there can not found 'Enable dev mode in chrome://extensions, go to options, Player, and disable DASH'.

coloop

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:12 am

but "Hardware-accelerated video decodes" is not available in v51 :(
why ?!

coloop

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:42 am

when i open this location :

/etc/chromium-browser/default
,i see :

# Default settings for chromium-browser. This file is sourced by /bin/sh from
# /usr/bin/chromium-browser

# Options to pass to chromium-browser
CHROMIUM_FLAGS=""
what is the meaning of this sentense ?

GPU is disabled by default. If you are using the OpenGL driver, remove the flag in /etc/chromium-browser/default
Can i enable video decoding in new release ?

thanks

kusti8

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:02 pm

cjan wrote:
cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote: You did this
?
and, there can not found 'Enable dev mode in chrome://extensions, go to options, Player, and disable DASH'.
At the top there is a check box for developer mode.

Return to “General discussion”