bugsy_malone 666

SD Card image works with one device but not others?

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 pm

So couple of years back when there was just A and B Pi's before the plus/2/zero/3 I was using some of my devices as remote CCTV running from battery, using stuff from the raspi.tv website. The setup was great and a learning experience using the camera and finding out how power hungry these little devices can be.

After that I decided that it would be useful to set the CCTV things up when I went on holiday to look after my property recording at 2FPS meaning 2 weeks fits on a 16gb SD card happily.

Being successful I burnt the original image to hard drive so I could have loads of SD cards ready to swap out every couple of weeks for certain projects, which worked fine all the time I had A/B pis. Roll forward to today, where my B's are tied up in BTSync Servers and I have 2x B+ and a Zero 1.3 with cam connector available but my image doesnt work with them!

Strangely the pi's all act like there is no activity, nothing comes out of the HDMI (yet on the B I use HDMI so its the same setup) no activity lights or anything.

I'm wondering what might cause the devices to act so differently? Is there things you have to turn on in the device bios or something?

Jednorozec

Re: SD Card image works with one device but not others?

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:04 pm

You have to use a recent image in the newest Pis.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

davidcoton

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Use an old Pi (where the card runs) with internet access to update and dist-upgrade the card. You could do a full update to the latest Jessie, but that is not essential (so I am told). Then it will work on all versions. Don't delete you old working image until you have tested and backed up the new one -- just in case.
Signature retired

DirkS

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:53 am

davidcoton wrote:Use an old Pi (where the card runs) with internet access to update and dist-upgrade the card.
if it's a Wheezy install this will probably not result in an image that will run on a Zero / 3B.
The kernel / firmware will still be too old.

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:09 am

Its not going to be used on a 3/Zero generally as I have several B+ units for the job, if I can get it to work on one of those will be enough!.

I'll give the distro upgrade a go, as I did update and upgrade lastnight which hasnt resolved the issue yet.

davidcoton

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:43 am

DirkS wrote:
davidcoton wrote:Use an old Pi (where the card runs) with internet access to update and dist-upgrade the card.
if it's a Wheezy install this will probably not result in an image that will run on a Zero / 3B.
The kernel / firmware will still be too old.
Opinions seem to be divided on that. An rpi-update might also be needed, on Wheezy I am told that gets a new enough kernel.
Signature retired

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:36 am

well I have done a dist upgrade, still no worky :(

tried
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

in that order to update the thing, and it doesnt work :( my main issue is I only have a couple of hours left where I could muck about with this where I will need to abandon it, I seem to remember it took me quite a while longer to set up the image in the first place.

mikerr

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:46 am

you have tried a known good image on those sd cards first ?
e.g. just check noobs lite boots to the noobs screen.

I had a similar problem and found it was actually the (unbranded) microsd card that the pi didn't like
- it worked in PCs though, and ended up used in an android phone.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 am

bugsy_malone 666 wrote:well I have done a dist upgrade, still no worky :(

tried
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

in that order to update the thing, and it doesnt work :( my main issue is I only have a couple of hours left where I could muck about with this where I will need to abandon it, I seem to remember it took me quite a while longer to set up the image in the first place.
Only if it is Standalone Raspbian Wheezy then sudo rpi-update to get latest kernel.

If you used NOOBS you need to update NOOBS to latest version.....

Retired disgracefully.....

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:17 am

Ok so the plot thickens a little.

Known working image and SD card, put it in a model B after shutting my server down thats running one and it works fine, however the thing I found didnt work was the camera app? This was on the card I had updated and dist-updated, so then I have another SD card with a standard card image (as I said when I built the thing originally I saved a working image so I could keep writing new cards) put that in and it worked exactly how it used to because it was essentially on the device it used to run. That SD card had no updates since 2014.

Put either of the cards in the model B+ and it no worky. It doesnt boot at all, like the cards blank or something, you dont even get the coloured rainbow screen!

procount

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:29 am

IF it was previously installed with an OLD version of NOOBS before v1.5, then be careful upgrading, because the partition layout changed.
It is primarily the firmware files that need updating: bootcode.bin and recovery.elf, I believe.
In this case, I would upgrade all NOOBS files with the exception of recovery.cmdline and recovery.rfs
(Untested, so as people before have said - make sure you have a backup first!)
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:32 pm

So do you think I could just copy the newer files on to the old boot partition from a newer install and that would do it?

procount

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:54 pm

My advice was just an addendum to FoTL's about updating the NOOBS partition IFF you used it to install Raspbian. But you haven't confirmed that and it sounds like you are using plain Raspbian?
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:20 pm

procount wrote:My advice was just an addendum to FoTL's about updating the NOOBS partition IFF you used it to install Raspbian. But you haven't confirmed that and it sounds like you are using plain Raspbian?
Yes despite asking it could by any OS with Noobs or without Noobs, maybe the information will be forthcoming ???

Retired disgracefully.....

bugsy_malone 666

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Well I have been away for a few weeks, so didnt have time to come back to this.

Basically the original install was a downloaded raspbian wheezy from this site, installed and then a few modifications to enable to camera, a script for the camera and some modification to the start up so the script would auto run.

All I remember is it was a bit of faff and I didnt want to start again with a fresh OS doing the modifications to find it didnt work as I altered script a little to get the fps and bit rates right.

Return to “General discussion”