ghodan

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:09 pm

Koeshi wrote:
mjsteelega wrote:Wow... am I the only one who thinks if this product ever gets produced that there will be a patent lawsuit from Apple? That enclosure appears to be molded from a MacBook Air.
As well as a MacBook it also looks like an Asus e403. I find that there are an awful lot of netbooks that look basically identical with different colouring and labelling, I know in some cases this will be down to white label products, but there is also a limit to how much variation you can put into a slim laptop of a certain size.

In regards to the earlier pricing discussion, I would rather have a Pi-Top as it suits my needs better, but I am not currently willing to chuck out an extra $100 dollars for the difference. Who knows maybe my mind will change before the campaign ends, but I currently doubt it.
The difference is not 100$ but 200$.
yes the Pi-Top is THAT expensive.

A local Pi dealer got 20 Pi-Top's in supply.
They go for 294 euro includes postal cost in my country.
NexDock is 104 euro excluding postal cost.

Koeshi

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:31 pm

ghodan wrote:
Koeshi wrote:
mjsteelega wrote:Wow... am I the only one who thinks if this product ever gets produced that there will be a patent lawsuit from Apple? That enclosure appears to be molded from a MacBook Air.
As well as a MacBook it also looks like an Asus e403. I find that there are an awful lot of netbooks that look basically identical with different colouring and labelling, I know in some cases this will be down to white label products, but there is also a limit to how much variation you can put into a slim laptop of a certain size.

In regards to the earlier pricing discussion, I would rather have a Pi-Top as it suits my needs better, but I am not currently willing to chuck out an extra $100 dollars for the difference. Who knows maybe my mind will change before the campaign ends, but I currently doubt it.
The difference is not 100$ but 200$.
yes the Pi-Top is THAT expensive.

A local Pi dealer got 20 Pi-Top's in supply.
They go for 294 euro includes postal cost in my country.
NexDock is 104 euro excluding postal cost.
That is only if you got the early version and if you are getting a Pi-Top with an included Pi3. I backed the campaign more recently so that cost me $120 then I will have to pay for shipping, so I am looking at spending at least $150, the Pi-Top without a Pi comes to $250 so it is a 100 difference. Either way, that is still a fair bit of money. If either of these groups were doing a 12" or 11" they would have me sold over the other even for that much extra.

buja

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:07 pm

The project has reached its fixed goal of $300,000! So some of us can expect their NexDock in a few months :)

Koeshi

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 pm

buja wrote:The project has reached its fixed goal of $300,000! So some of us can expect their NexDock in a few months :)
Really hoping this turns out well, I am a real sucker for buyer's remorse even when things exceed expectations.

buja

Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:47 pm

It looks like a lot of people have waited to see if this project would be a success (reach its goal) and have now decided to step in: from 100% to 110% in just two days.
However, I don't think the stretch goals will be met (USB-C at $500K, higher resolution screen at $1000K) with only 7 days left. I don't care much about USB-C anyway, but I wouldn't say no to a full HD resolution screen.

darkbibble

Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:54 pm

I really want one of these nexdocks they look really nice, but alas I don't get paid in time before it runs out.
I hope they take extra pre-orders via their website after the campaign ends.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

Koeshi

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:41 pm

buja wrote:It looks like a lot of people have waited to see if this project would be a success (reach its goal) and have now decided to step in: from 100% to 110% in just two days.
However, I don't think the stretch goals will be met (USB-C at $500K, higher resolution screen at $1000K) with only 7 days left. I don't care much about USB-C anyway, but I wouldn't say no to a full HD resolution screen.
I'd been thinking the same thing, the number of people backing seemed to spike as soon as it was over. And the type-C USB is not something I am interested in for this, maybe for a desktop I would be but not an item meant for convenience.

buja

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:13 am

Just a few minutes ago the campaign closed at $363,063, 121% of the fixed goal.
The extended campaign doesn't seem to hurt the delivery schedule. The stretch goals were not met.

Now it's just a matter of waiting until the package arrives :)

buja

Tue May 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Time for an update. I entered my delivery address on the NexDock website (portal) and paid for the shipping.
Until now the shipping costs were unknown and a bit of a risk. As it turns out, shipping to the Netherlands costs $34.97. This amount comes on top of the $99 I paid for the NexDock itself and is within my budget.
The NexDock should arrive sometime next month (June), and the NexDock team were able to add some extra USB and HDMI cables to the package, always good.

Koeshi

Wed May 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Just did the shipping payments for mine. A bit more costly than I was hoping/expecting but I suppose when I order things from China they normally aren't much more than fist sized. Really looking forward to getting this so I can put it to work, it I like it enough I'll get one for myself when they do a second run.

Koeshi

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 pm

So I don't know if people have seen, but apparently the factory where the NexDocks were being made caught fire so there is an expected three month delay to set up a new production line and build new ones.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nexd ... 2#/updates

kusti8

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Koeshi wrote:So I don't know if people have seen, but apparently the factory where the NexDocks were being made caught fire so there is an expected three month delay to set up a new production line and build new ones.

Of course it did. Kickstarter.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Koeshi

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:08 pm

kusti8 wrote:
Koeshi wrote:So I don't know if people have seen, but apparently the factory where the NexDocks were being made caught fire so there is an expected three month delay to set up a new production line and build new ones.

Of course it did. Kickstarter.
I guessed someone would say something like that. You may be right, we will have to wait and see if this second run materialises or not.

buja

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:39 pm

I saw the mail. Just a bit more patience I guess, or lucky enough to get one from the first batch (if not damaged).

buja

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 am

After a fire at the manufacturer there are now quality problems with the power supply. But the root cause has been identified and measures are being taken. I hope to receive my NexDock in a couple of weeks.

In the mean time a similar project has started on Kickstarter: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=157623

scotty101

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:35 am

In typical fashion, it looks like mine will be delivered when I'm on holiday! :roll:

Did you see that they also had a problem with the power supply?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

buja

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:48 am

scotty101 wrote:In typical fashion, it looks like mine will be delivered when I'm on holiday! :roll:
Of course it will, Murphy's law :twisted:

Koeshi

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:25 am

scotty101 wrote: Did you see that they also had a problem with the power supply?
Yeah, but thankfully it looks like that won't affect the final shipping date.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:39 am

Koeshi wrote:
scotty101 wrote: Did you see that they also had a problem with the power supply?
Haha - I think we all know that it likely will. However, these kind of teething problems are not at all uncommon in a crowdfunded project like this. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Koeshi

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:54 am

alexeames wrote:
Koeshi wrote:
Haha - I think we all know that it likely will. However, these kind of teething problems are not at all uncommon in a crowdfunded project like this. :lol:
Shush and let me enjoy my dreams :P

buja

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:59 am

A couple of day ago I received a mail that my NexDock has been shipped. It will probably be delivered sometime next week (which is a very inconvenient time, but I can't blame anyone else but me for that).

scotty101

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:21 am

Mine is out for delivery today. :D
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Koeshi

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:46 am

I have yet to hear anything. Regarding delivery, but still getting excited :)

Aydan

Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:06 pm

mine is supposed to be waiting at my door for my arrival from work. :D

Aydan

Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:35 pm

It's alive ;)
tried it with my LG G2 and as secondary monitor for my Laptop. THe Touchpad takes some getting used to, especially since there's no buttons, but tap areas for the Buttons.
The display seems to be OK so far.
Audio over HDMI works, but is very tinny.

Next up: Pi3+Nexdock

Regards
Aydan

Edit: The lower corner of the touchpad are the hardware buttons. Also in Raspbian Jessie the buttons are 1/2/3-finger-tap (left/right/middle) and 2-finger scroll. I don't kow if that's debian's multitouch functionality at work or touchpad intrinsic.
Last edited by Aydan on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion”