piglet

Could an inspiration TA apply for Pi Certified Educator too?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:58 am

I dropped a PM to Carrie-Ann a couple of weeks ago - but she may have been too swamped in emails & PM to see it. I'm starting this thread in the hope that it might get seen better than a PM.

Up until recently I've been a governor at our local primary school and have mentioned Raspberry Pis on a number of occasions. The head-teacher is definitely up for progressing this and is backing the school IT person to run with it if possible.

This IT person is a TA - they do a lot of (all?) the setup for IT in the school and runs the school website. For a number of other reasons than IT technical they are significantly inspirational and in my opinion they would be a very good person to kick-start use of Pis in the school.

Would they be able to apply to the course? I was offering to donate funds to supply the school with the hardware - they just need to get someone appropriately trained to train the rest of the staff and get things moving to make use of the kit. This TA is certainly the right person to do this in my view.

piglet

Re: Could an inspiration TA apply for Pi Certified Educator

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:21 pm

:( Sad not to get any response. The head asked me about this today and I couldn't answer.

Carrie Anne
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Due to the high demand and limited spaces, and in light of the curric change this Sept, we are more likely to select practicing classroom teachers from the UK. However, if you think this person is *the* person in your school to receive the training then ask them to apply. If their application is really good and supported with evidence that they teach then they may get a place. Applicants are selected by the entire Foundation team, from hundreds of applications and we only have 24 places per picademy. This makes it difficult to for us to give spaces to non teachers. Our course is free, and we want to keep it this way. To do so we have to have certain rules. I'm sure you can understand our predicament. We'd love to take everyone if we could.

piglet

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Thank you :) I'll pass on the information.

24 seems a very small number considering the number of schools in the country. I can appreciate it's going to be hard choosing people and a long slow roll-out at that rate.

Return to “Picademy”