Mroharding
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

How to get some pis

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 am

I have an idea on how I can use some money to buy some pi's but just need a project. Each year we are meant to buy in CPD and do a two day project with new y5+6 as a sales event for the school. Cut out the middle man and use the money for pi but....... It has to be brazil themed. Any ideas

recantha2

Re: How to get some pis

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 am

How about something to do with the World Cup? Record scores and generate group tables / finals pairings.
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

sway1233

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 am

The World Cup idea is good, could use SonicPi to compose a new song for the World Cup. Like Ant and Dec's We're In the Ball and 3 lions stylee

Could also do something like write a Scratch program which tells you about places in Brazil or routes to Brazil (like a travel guide) but an LED could light up when they start talking about that specific place. Then you would poke ?LEDs through a map and have an interactive model.

DeeJay

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 am

Something around rain forests (destruction thereof) ? Time-lapse animations of deforestation. Graphics/plot of trends in land use. 'Clickable' links to pages about lost/threatened species. To make it RPi specific, how about a big (paper) map with gpio-driven leds sticking through at chosen locations that light up when the user asks for details of a particular issue or species? Maybe a set of physical buttons along the bottom labelled with images of said creatures as an alternative to navigating via the computer keyboard.

[edit: I see Sway independently suggested a similar idea....]
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Richard-TX

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 am

DeeJay wrote:Something around rain forests (destruction thereof)
To me that sounds a bit negative and is most likely politically charged. Both should be avoided IHMO.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Missedutton

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:53 pm

What about something with lights - so that the lights flash when a goal is scored?

Or you could do something in Python, where students code a World Cup Fortune Teller [predicts who will win?]
Be a creator, not just a consumer

www.excitededucator.com
youtube.com/missedutton
@missedutton

sway1233

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 pm

DeeJay wrote: [edit: I see Sway independently suggested a similar idea....]
Great minds and all that...

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Richard-TX wrote:
DeeJay wrote:Something around rain forests (destruction thereof)
To me that sounds a bit negative and is most likely politically charged. Both should be avoided IHMO.
My take on this, spending a lot of time with educators in the US and the UK, is that there are some topics which nobody would bat an eyelid at here in the UK (this being one of them); but that don't play well in the political climate (pun only sorta intended) in the US. I don't think there's any problem at all for teachers here in the UK (the Picademy cohort) with this idea. In my experience it'd actually go down pretty well with parents and staff; in Texas your mileage may vary.

(This is an empirical observation; it's not meant to start a political discussion. If you guys want one of those, please take it to Off Topic!)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Mroharding

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 am

I get the political angle, just seen this
http://youtu.be/2KHcuiocYOY
Could get the kids to all build a parade of floats that light and play music ?

toxibunny

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:53 pm

disagree about the rainforest idea being a bad one - environmental stuff is the bread-and-butter of school projects, surely...

edit: oops, too slow to post. What Liz said.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

johndough

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:07 am

Mroharding wrote:I have an idea on how I can use some money to buy some pi's but just need a project. Each year we are meant to buy in CPD and do a two day project with new y5+6 as a sales event for the school. Cut out the middle man and use the money for pi but....... It has to be brazil themed. Any ideas
Hi

Brazil?

Get the kids to make some coffee.

OR a weather station that can be put outside and the measurements taken and compared against those typically found in Brazil.

Plot UK, Brazil and your school. Then do some sums and say that Brazil is % warmer and wetter than here in a spreadsheet.

Emma Stinga

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 pm

How about a Fortune Teller to predict the results of each match…..

snorbury

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:50 pm

If using input and outputs, how about an automatic goal line detection system, light up an led when ball crosses the line.

MisterC

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Code up a 'penalty shootout' game in Scratch, where the goalie gets progressively faster as you score. Possibility to code a second player to be the goalie or link up to GPIO for a button (or similar input) which you can use to shoot as an extension.

Return to “Picademy”