brandonsmith.rm

Re: VNC remote desktop via web browser

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:12 pm

I get to where noVNC is "Starting VNC handshake", but nothing ever comes up. If i run vncserver -kill :1 , it does kill the vnc. I can restart it with: vncserver :1 -geometry 1280x800 -depth 24.

The only error I see in chrome developer tools is "WebSocket connection to 'ws://./' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED"

What am I missing?

Simeon

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Is it possible to use this with a wifi dongle and to connect your tablet?

Davespice
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri May 01, 2015 8:00 am

If you were going to use Wifi you've got two options.
  • Join both tablet and Pi to the same wifi router, such as your home one that provides your internet connection. This would mean you don't use the Master and Slave mode instructions.
  • Host a wifi hot spot on the Pi and get the tablet to join it. Instructions for setting up a hot spot can be found online, I wrote some back in 2013 on my old blog here. You'll also need to use wlan0 instead of eth0 when configuring the network interfaces.
The problem with using Wifi is that, especially in the classroom, you will get your Pis mixed up and not know which Pi is for which tablet. The advantage of the cable master and slave method is that the cable shows you which Pi you're supposed to be on. Using tablets for VNC is also not a good experience (imho) as you'll find touch is not good for the Pi X desktop (fat clumsy fingers etc).

Also those of you who have been struggling a bit with these instructions you may just find you need to ensure that your network adapter is set up to acquire an IP address over DHCP. This is usually a default for Windows and OSX but maybe not if your laptop is old and has been used for lots of different things in the past.

One chap on Picademy #8 had a specif IP range configured for his Windows laptop which prevented it from talking to the Pi, which was set to use master and slave mode, and getting an IP address from it. Once we fixed that the Pi issued an IP address of 10.0.0.39 which is the correct behavior. If you need to know how to do this on Windows have a look here. You need to have the Ethernet adapter IPv4 Properties set to Obtain an IP address automatically.

abatey

Tue May 05, 2015 1:10 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
PiPete wrote:I got vnc to work on my laptop. However, mine craft and scratch do not display through the connection. Python and sonic pi work fine. Any ideas why?
They use the framebuffer directly, they aren't using XWindows so can NEVER work on a VNC session.
This is true for Minecraft but Scratch works fine over VNC - it does however seem to require that you are running a VNC server that mirrors the "real" screen rather than a "virtual screen". I believe that tightvnc may only offer the "virtual screen". Using RealVNC in "server" mode, thus connecting to display :0 probably, Scratch works just fine. The vncproxy stuff Dave explains above works fine with RealVNC if you change 5901 to 5900

DougieLawson

Tue May 05, 2015 3:18 pm

OK so don't run vncserver, run x11vnc (which maps the DISPLAY=:0 to a VNC session).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

liudr

Sat May 23, 2015 1:28 am

Thanks for the post! I was looking for something like this exactly. Let me explain my situation:
I want students to use Arduino for their course work. But some don't have the skills to install the driver (trust me, this always happens). So I have two options, hand them each a laptop with arduino already installed and configured (too much money), or hand them each a raspberry pi with arduino already installed and configured (reasonable cost).

In order to do raspberry pi + arduino, I need my students to install minimal software (since some just don't know how). So I needed a web interface to log in to raspberry pi.

Success:
I was able to run tightVNC following the instructions and was able to log on to the raspberry pi and compile and upload to arduino.

Issues:
I can't access the web interface.
I can't turn my wifi dongle into a router.

Any suggestions on where to check? I followed the instructions until I couldn't proceed. I couldn't access the web interface so I installed tightVNC client on my PC and made sure I could log on. I was using a fresh raspbian download from May 2015 on 2B board.

What I did was I first enabled the wifi dongle, which could have messed up some of the wifi router settings but it's no longer connected to my home router.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

BancheeZA

Sat May 23, 2015 6:43 pm

liudr wrote:Thanks for the post! I was looking for something like this exactly. Let me explain my situation:
I want students to use Arduino for their course work. But some don't have the skills to install the driver (trust me, this always happens). So I have two options, hand them each a laptop with arduino already installed and configured (too much money), or hand them each a raspberry pi with arduino already installed and configured (reasonable cost).

In order to do raspberry pi + arduino, I need my students to install minimal software (since some just don't know how). So I needed a web interface to log in to raspberry pi.

Success:
I was able to run tightVNC following the instructions and was able to log on to the raspberry pi and compile and upload to arduino.

Issues:
I can't access the web interface.
I can't turn my wifi dongle into a router.

Any suggestions on where to check? I followed the instructions until I couldn't proceed. I couldn't access the web interface so I installed tightVNC client on my PC and made sure I could log on. I was using a fresh raspbian download from May 2015 on 2B board.

What I did was I first enabled the wifi dongle, which could have messed up some of the wifi router settings but it's no longer connected to my home router.
So what I did, because I cant get it working through the browser. The log returns the following error when my windows pc tries to connect via the browser rfbProcessClientProtocolVersion: not a valid RFB client

So I just downloaded the VNC client side software from https://www.realvnc.com/download/get/1732/ and I could connect. I know this defeats the point of using the browser, but I needed to get this running quickly. Going to see if the setting on a browser cannot be changed to or maybe get a add-on that is a vnc. Keep you updated.

Davespice

Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 am

Folks, I just found an issue with the instructions. An extra step is now needed to make sure that it pulls the websockify repository, I've updated the instructions in the original post to reflect this.

PiPete

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi Dave,
I didnt know how to post a private message.
The tightvnc still doesnt work for scratch even if you run a vnc client on the laptop??
Any ideas? Is there a not tight or full on version of vnc that might work?
Thanks,
pete
KS2 Class Teacher

liudr

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:35 am

Sorry to reply on this relatively old thread. I followed the instructions except for the ethernet adapter setting part. I am connecting my PC and RPI to the same home router via Ethernet cables. So my issue is the resolution is not good. Texts are blurry and I need to use this setup to do some programming. Is there any way to tweak the video compression to higher quality? Thanks.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

Davespice

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 am

PiPete wrote:Hi Dave,
I didnt know how to post a private message.
The tightvnc still doesnt work for scratch even if you run a vnc client on the laptop??
Any ideas? Is there a not tight or full on version of vnc that might work?
Thanks,
pete
Hi Pete, I haven't had a chance to look at this yet. I think the problem is to do with VNC itself as opposed to the setup instructions I have given here though. When you install the software with apt-get instead of tightvncserver you can try using just vncserver and seeing if that makes any difference. You will also need to edit the vncboot script to change where it mentions /usr/bin/tightvncserver too.
liudr wrote:Sorry to reply on this relatively old thread. I followed the instructions except for the ethernet adapter setting part. I am connecting my PC and RPI to the same home router via Ethernet cables. So my issue is the resolution is not good. Texts are blurry and I need to use this setup to do some programming. Is there any way to tweak the video compression to higher quality? Thanks.
Yeah there are loads of options you can set. You can edit the vncboot script to set them:

Code: Select all

cd /etc/init.d/
sudo nano vncboot
Find the line with -geometry on it and that's the line where you can set all the options for the vnc server.
More info here: http://www.tightvnc.com/vncserver.1.php
Try using depth and pixelformat options.

GizmoB73

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:57 am

Just found this thread and followed the instructions; it works great, no problems at all, thanks.

One question though.

I intend to use this for some remote Python coding and cut and pasting code it very handy - essential really.

If I copy a line from a web browser on my Main PC, is there any way to paste it into the Pi? I have tried it into Term, Leafpad and the Python 3 editor with no joy.

I am used to copying and pasting into an SSH session to the Pi, is there anyway of doing this via the VNC HTML Browser connection?

Thanks

G

aldaaime78

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:31 am

According to my current experience, I can't succeed to use this for some remote Python coding... if you find a shortcut, you can share with us :mrgreen: coque sony xperia C5 ultra coque xperia C5 ultra

caeducator

Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:30 am

Hi - is the accessing the raspberry pi via remote access? Im not a techie but I'm trying to keep up as much as possible. Also what type of cord did you use to plug your pi directly into your chromebook? I bought that $100 package from adafruit but it doesn't include any cord that has USBs on each end. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks!!

Amplifiction

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi Dave,

First off: thank you! I unpacked my (first) Pi only a few hours ago and was able to get remote access thanks to your detailed explanation.

I do have one problem, however: VNC is generating artifacts, up to a point where I can't make out text or images. I have attached an example. The artifacts are generated as soon the mouse cursor hoovers over the icon/text. (The desktop logo starts out with artifacts.)

I have tried
[*] logging in on several machines, using several screens with different aspect ratio's.
[*] recent versions of Firefox and IE.
[*] adjusting the resolution in the vncboot file to 1920x1080 (native resolution of PC used to log in), 1824x984 (Pi's default resolution), 1600x900, and the default 1280x800.
[*] (EDIT) Running "sudo apt-get upgrade" after "sudo apt-get update" and rebooting

I seem to be getting the best results at 1280x800, which is the lowest resolution I have tried. In fact, I was convinced that using that resolution had solved the problem, until I launched the web browser and everything went bananas.

I'm under the impression that my Pi, a model 2B running the latest "2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy" build, is not running as smoothly as it should. For example, the web browser loads slowly even when I'm on my Pi locally. I'm only using a Class 4 SD card. Could that be what's causing this?

EDIT: I'd like to add that my Pi is connected by ethernet cable to a switch. I do not suspect my network to be the problem. (Gigabit, tested.)

EDIT: found similar problem here: http://superuser.com/questions/845401/x ... n-vnc?rq=1 Different OS and hardware, but might be worth a shot. Suggested solution: "adding nomodeset to kernel arguments at boot". No idea if that'd help or how to do it, though.
Attachments
Pi VNC artifacts.JPG
Pi VNC artifacts.JPG (49.69 KiB) Viewed 7331 times

Speakeasys

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:26 pm

I've followed these steps multiple times. I reinstall on raspbian onto my SD card to make sure I'm not getting stuck on anything. Once I'm done with all the steps and sudo reboot I'm unable to use the browser to view the desktop. But when I start "tightvncserver", and then use RealVNC I'm able to remote desktop into my raspberry pi. When I try to dial into the IP address with my browser I'm receiving:

"This webpage is not available

ERR_UNSAFE_PORT", in Chrome.

Could it be that the script from the wget isn't starting tightvncserver on boot? But then even when I start it manually it's not accessible on my local network from the browser. Does anybody have any suggestions? I've followed this guide and https://www.raspberrypi.org/guides/teac ... r-guide.md.

SpacemanSpiff

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi,
I'm quite sure to have followed the instructions precisely, but I get no connection on port 80.
Further, I noticed that the vncservice couldn't start as I get below message after stopping and starting the vncproxy service:
sudo service vncproxy stop
sudo service vncproxy start
Job for vncproxy.service failed. See 'systemctl status vncproxy.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

Do you have any idea what is wrong (I'm working on a PI3 with current jessie)

Thanks,
Spiff

juulius

Thu May 26, 2016 10:49 am

hi,

i got VNC to work and with apache2 to my domain
but now i want it to also allow cut and copy from to the server to the viewer and vice versa.

i have already tried it with autocutsel but it doenst allow anyting
(modyfied ./vnc/xstartup with autocutsel -fork)

did someone had luck with this or isnt it possible?

thanks
Juulius

drake7707

Mon May 30, 2016 3:39 pm

I kept getting

insserv: warning: script 'vncboot' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: There is a loop between service watchdog and vncboot if stopped
insserv:  loop involving service vncboot at depth 2
insserv:  loop involving service watchdog at depth 1
insserv: Stopping vncboot depends on watchdog and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!
There's a '#' missing in the header in the vncboot file:

## BEGIN INIT INFO
should be

### BEGIN INIT INFO

Cancelor

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:29 am

I can't get this to work either. I'm using a fresh install of 2016-05-10-raspbian-jessie.img and follow the first part only as all my devices are on a local Lan but when I enter the IP address into my browser it doesn't connect. :(

Can anyone help diagnose this problem? I'm not even sure where to start.

The message I get from the browser is

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.24 refused to connect.
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
I can ssh to 192.168.1.24 no problem.

ps aux gives me this, I can't see anything about tightvnc

pi@cam:~ $ ps aux
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         1  0.3  0.4  22864  3952 ?        Ss   10:31   0:07 /sbin/init
root         2  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [kthreadd]
root         3  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
root         5  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [kworker/0:0H]
root         7  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [rcu_sched]
root         8  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [rcu_bh]
root         9  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [migration/0]
root        10  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [migration/1]
root        11  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [ksoftirqd/1]
root        13  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [kworker/1:0H]
root        14  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [migration/2]
root        15  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [ksoftirqd/2]
root        17  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [kworker/2:0H]
root        18  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [migration/3]
root        19  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [ksoftirqd/3]
root        21  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [kworker/3:0H]
root        22  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [kdevtmpfs]
root        23  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [netns]
root        24  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [perf]
root        25  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [khungtaskd]
root        26  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [writeback]
root        27  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [crypto]
root        28  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [bioset]
root        29  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [kblockd]
root        31  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [rpciod]
root        32  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [kswapd0]
root        33  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [vmstat]
root        34  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [fsnotify_mark]
root        35  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [nfsiod]
root        44  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:31   0:00 [kthrotld]
root        45  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:31   0:00 [kworker/2:1]
root        47  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        48  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        49  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        50  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        51  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        52  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        53  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        54  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        55  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        56  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        57  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        58  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        59  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        60  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        61  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        62  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        63  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        64  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        65  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        66  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        67  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        68  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        69  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        70  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        71  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [VCHIQ-0]
root        72  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [VCHIQr-0]
root        73  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [VCHIQs-0]
root        74  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [iscsi_eh]
root        75  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [dwc_otg]
root        76  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [DWC Notificatio]
root        77  1.7  0.0      0     0 ?        R    10:32   0:33 [kworker/u8:1]
root        78  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:32   0:00 [irq/92-mmc1]
root        79  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [bioset]
root        80  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:32   0:00 [mmcqd/0]
root        81  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:32   0:00 [VCHIQka-0]
root        82  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [SMIO]
root        83  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [deferwq]
root        86  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:32   0:00 [jbd2/mmcblk0p2-]
root        87  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [ext4-rsv-conver]
root        88  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [ipv6_addrconf]
root       124  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:32   0:00 [kworker/1:3]
root       134  0.0  0.3   9540  2812 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /lib/systemd/systemd-journald
root       136  0.0  0.3  11908  3232 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
root       246  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [cfg80211]
root       256  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [brcmf_wq/mmc1:0]
root       258  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:32   0:00 [brcmf_wdog/mmc1]
root       332  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:32   0:00 [kworker/3:2]
root       430  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:32   0:00 [RTW_CMD_THREAD]
root       455  0.0  0.2   5072  2384 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/sbin/cron -f
root       460  0.0  0.2   3852  2452 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /lib/systemd/systemd-logind
avahi      468  0.0  0.2   3996  2600 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 avahi-daemon: running [cam.local]
message+   470  0.0  0.3   5708  3176 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation
root       472  0.0  0.2   2684  1880 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /sbin/dhcpcd -q -b
nobody     489  0.0  0.1   2292  1448 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/sbin/thd --daemon --triggers /etc/triggerhappy/triggers.d/ --socket /var/run/thd.socket --pidfile /var/run/thd.
avahi      494  0.0  0.0   3876   240 ?        S    10:32   0:00 avahi-daemon: chroot helper
root       529  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [kworker/3:1H]
root       534  0.0  0.3  32144  2804 ?        Ssl  10:32   0:00 /usr/sbin/rsyslogd -n
root       554  0.0  0.3   7148  2836 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /sbin/wpa_supplicant -s -B -P /run/wpa_supplicant.wlan1.pid -i wlan1 -D nl80211,wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supp
root       555  0.0  0.3   7148  3300 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /sbin/wpa_supplicant -s -B -P /run/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.pid -i wlan0 -D nl80211,wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supp
root       607  0.0  0.4   7860  4312 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -D
root       614  0.0  0.7  40536  6820 ?        Ssl  10:32   0:00 /usr/sbin/lightdm
ntp        659  0.0  0.4   5684  3732 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -u 106:111
root       703  0.0  3.3 106724 29520 tty7     Ssl+ 10:32   0:01 /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
root       704  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [kworker/0:1H]
root       739  0.0  0.3   5668  2792 tty1     Ss   10:32   0:00 /bin/login -f   
root       740  0.0  0.2   3876  1920 ttyS0    Ss+  10:32   0:01 /sbin/agetty --keep-baud 115200 38400 9600 ttyS0 vt102
root       755  0.0  0.8  32876  7300 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 lightdm --session-child 13 16
pi         763  0.0  0.3   4976  3232 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /lib/systemd/systemd --user
pi         766  0.0  0.1   6812  1296 ?        S    10:32   0:00 (sd-pam)  
pi         806  0.0  1.3  52176 12040 ?        Ssl  10:32   0:00 /usr/bin/lxsession -s LXDE-pi -e LXDE
pi         867  0.0  0.0   3696   220 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session x-session-manager
pi         870  0.0  0.1   3692  1660 ?        S    10:32   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session x-session-manager
pi         871  0.0  0.2   5608  2200 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
pi         877  0.0  0.6  30852  5592 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd
pi         882  0.0  0.6  48520  5396 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-fuse /run/user/1000/gvfs -f -o big_writes
root       883  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [kworker/u9:0]
root       884  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [hci0]
root       885  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [hci0]
root       886  0.0  0.0   2068   132 ?        S    10:32   0:00 /usr/bin/hciattach /dev/serial1 bcm43xx 921600 noflow -
root       888  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [kworker/u9:2]
root       912  0.0  0.3   5008  3300 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd
root       955  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [kworker/1:1H]
pi         961  0.0  0.5   6472  4424 tty1     S+   10:32   0:00 -bash
pi         971  0.0  1.2  19912 11008 ?        S    10:32   0:00 openbox --config-file /home/pi/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml
pi         972  0.0  0.9  30304  8784 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 lxpolkit
pi         976  0.1  2.7  94236 24664 ?        Sl   10:32   0:03 lxpanel --profile LXDE-pi
pi         977  0.0  2.0  78488 18224 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE-pi
pi         982  0.0  0.0   3696   220 ?        Ss   10:32   0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent -s
root       984  0.0  0.8  40944  7376 ?        Ssl  10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd --no-debug
pi        1004  0.0  0.9  42972  7960 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor
rtkit     1008  0.0  0.2  21376  2004 ?        SNsl 10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/rtkit/rtkit-daemon
root      1010  0.0  0.8  59068  7856 ?        Ssl  10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd --no-debug
pi        1027  0.0  0.7  42412  6496 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-afc-volume-monitor
pi        1034  0.0  0.5  29928  5144 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-mtp-volume-monitor
pi        1038  0.0  0.0   1912    92 ?        S    10:32   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11
pi        1039  0.0  0.2   5796  1976 ?        S    10:32   0:00 /usr/bin/xprop -root -spy
pi        1041  0.0  0.6  30948  5584 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
pi        1045  0.0  0.6  30032  5456 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-goa-volume-monitor
pi        1093  0.0  0.8  60368  7284 ?        Sl   10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-trash --spawner :1.1 /org/gtk/gvfs/exec_spaw/0
pi        1097  0.0  0.6  29692  5996 ?        Ssl  10:32   0:00 /usr/lib/menu-cache/menu-cached /tmp/.menu-cached-:0-pi
pi        1109  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    10:32   0:00 [sh] <defunct>
pi        1116  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    10:32   0:00 [sh] <defunct>
pi        1178  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    10:32   0:00 [sh] <defunct>
root      1288  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   10:32   0:00 [kworker/2:1H]
root      1351  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:39   0:00 [kworker/2:0]
root      1379  0.9  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:43   0:11 [kworker/u8:3]
root      1424  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:47   0:00 [kworker/1:1]
root      1426  1.9  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:49   0:17 [kworker/u8:0]
root      1427  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:51   0:00 [kworker/3:1]
root      1429  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:52   0:00 [kworker/0:0]
root      1512  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    10:57   0:00 [kworker/0:1]
root      1515  1.1  0.0      0     0 ?        R    10:59   0:03 [kworker/u8:2]
root      1516  0.0  0.5  12072  5240 ?        Ss   11:00   0:00 sshd: pi [priv]     
pi        1523  0.0  0.3  12072  3452 ?        S    11:00   0:00 sshd: pi@pts/0      
pi        1525  0.1  0.5   6472  4436 pts/0    Ss   11:00   0:00 -bash
root      1535  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    11:00   0:00 [kworker/1:0]
root      1619  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    11:02   0:00 [kworker/3:0]
root      1620  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    11:02   0:00 [kworker/0:2]
pi        1621  0.0  0.2   4740  2124 pts/0    R+   11:04   0:00 ps aux
and running tightvncserver 'again' gives me this

pi@cam:~ $ tightvncserver

New 'X' desktop is cam:1

Starting applications specified in /home/pi/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/pi/.vnc/cam:1.log

pi@cam:~ $ 
which makes me think it's not starting but even starting it manually I still can't get a connection from my browser.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

windy54

unknown state password

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi,

When I try and connect via my browser the above error message is displayed. I do briefly see a box to enter the password, which then gets replaced with the above message.

Looking at the error log it appears to be generated on line 220 of util.js

I get the same error from safari on my Mac and chrome on a Windows PC .

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

I have found a file util.js in /usr/local/share/noVNC/utils/websockify/include but can't see any mention of a state unknown password . Mind you, hardly surprising as I have never used java script .

Should I be looking on the PI for the file?

Cheers
Steve

pcs3rd

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:42 pm

is there a way to serve it through apache so i can access it through services like weaved and dataplicity

RpiName

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:17 pm

For those who are interested in a solution for the Rpi screen in a browser (plugin-free), see UV4L at:
http://linux-projects.org

Demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wthS8TP ... e=youtu.be

redsnapper

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Hi-

thanks for this instructions. I ran in several problems: tightvncserver does not prompt me for an password. It says self.pem is missing. First connection without https succeeded with the password for user "pi". Than, trying the IP-adress given the https connection fails.
What ist going wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Andreas

raspkid

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi Dave,
I just bought a nee raspberry pi recently and found this useful thread. But I am currently stuck when downloadingg content from dropbox (vncboot and vnc proxy). I got error 404. I wonder if you could reupload the file to dropbox again? Thanks.

Return to “Picademy”