airvb99

Re: Cam0 & Cam1 -> HDMI (simultaneously)

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:21 pm

@jamesh:

That's why I will use a Wifi link, Oculus and other hires goggles needs digital stream. The bad thing is that digital stream like h264 or MPEG have latency, not analogue PAL/NTSC video.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:23 pm

airvb99 wrote:@jamesh:

That's why I will use a Wifi link, Oculus and other hires goggles needs digital stream. The bad thing is that digital stream like h264 or MPEG have latency, not analogue PAL/NTSC video.
With the right SW, you can get down to less than 10ms latency, but that required GPU modifications on the demo I saw (VC3, some time ago). Not sure what people have achieved with the Pi and standard wireless.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

wallarug

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:54 am

jamesh wrote:
airvb99 wrote:@jamesh:

With the right SW, you can get down to less than 10ms latency, but that required GPU modifications on the demo I saw (VC3, some time ago). Not sure what people have achieved with the Pi and standard wireless.
Please link me the low latency stream configuration.

airvb99

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:36 am

There's no magic, low latency mean low compression but high bandwidth streaming !

6by9

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 am

airvb99 wrote:There's no magic, low latency mean low compression but high bandwidth streaming !
In that case there was plenty of extra magic too!

On Pi, the encoder is only ever fed full frames, so that forces at least 30msec latency (frame readout time), and a 1080P frame encode then takes about 43ms to encode (pipelined so that it can achieve 30fps). In the case jamesh is referring to, extra custom magic was added:
- it was for an HDMI or other capture device, so capture latency was different, and required less ISP processing.
- mods were made to allow feeding of partial frames to the video encoder to allow it to start on the frame early.
I can't remember the numbers, and I suspect it was at 720P as that was the max for VideoCoreIII, but overall latency was down far enough that it was more than good enough for real-time game play on a remote screen!
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Compute Module”