M1LKYWVY

Connect display to CM via DSI

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:28 am

Hello!

As I understood, DSI is still closed architecture in raspberry, so we can not connect non official raspberry display directly without any manipulations. Am I right?

I have cultivated a lot of pages on forum and make a conclusion that there is way to connect non official display via DSI by rewriting DSI driver according to specific display params. I do not have experience with this. So, can I ask for examples or quick starts or may be guides how to do it in clear way and connect display to CM as a result?

Thanks in advance!

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Connect display to CM via DSI

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:14 am

You will have to write your own driver; starting point is Eric Anholts work https://github.com/anholt/linux/blob/rp ... /vc4_dsi.c

He has developed an open source drivers which fully supports the DSI display output and supports full FKMS graphics output including video and 3D. But you need to write your on initailization code for the particular display in use,

First reading is here https://github.com/anholt/linux/wiki/Ra ... lay-panels

GOOD LUCK!

M1LKYWVY

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am

I have already seen this links...

Lets imagine that i have written my own driver according to my display.
Tell me please how can I debug it or simply run and test with my display on CM?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 am

M1LKYWVY wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am
I have already seen this links...

Lets imagine that i have written my own driver according to my display.
Tell me please how can I debug it or simply run and test with my display on CM?
You'll need the datasheet for the display, and some understanding on what neds to be plugged in. For example, there might be some sort of I2C or similar connection to allow you to communicate with the display and turn it on, or it might be all done via the DSI. First thing is to get some sort of communications working with the display, then you can concentrate on getting the timings right for the display itself.

Not sure if there are any insturctions out there on the net, not many people will have done this.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Compute Module”