InsertTitle

USB Type C: Do I need to do anything different for USB_OTG?

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Question has been probably asked before but just want to check for my sake.

Currently replacing the USB Micro AB receptacle connector on my carrier board (Houses my CM3) for a USB Type C connector, do I need to change anything for USB_OTG to work on the new connector?

I know that on USB micro I had to get myself a AB connector instead of a A or B connector. So should I be looking for a USB Type C connector that has AB connector or does it just come built in and so I should just add any random Type C connector?

Also according to datasheets I can't seem to find an ID pin on the Type C connector, I noticed online that apparently CC1 & CC2 take on the form of the ID pin however it shows that they need to be pulled up with a 5K Resistor.

My only confusion with this is I want to use both Host and Slave modes. So how would I get around this? Cause I obviously don't want to plug into wall socket and it starts trying to activate OTG mode when I clearly want it to be charging and vice versa plugging into a computer and it not activating OTG mode.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: USB Type C: Do I need to do anything different for USB_OTG?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:20 pm

First hit on Google https://ashleyslab.co/usb-type-c-mod-time/

And some more here https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... b-a-pinout

Sorry,don't have a link to the spec atm as this would be the reference for me

InsertTitle

Re: USB Type C: Do I need to do anything different for USB_OTG?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Ended up doing myself, but I think I've got it right will find out when comes assembly.

I connected both cc pins together and connected them to the USB_OTGID pin on the compute module, then just followed simple route of connecting Vbus together and GND together. I had no need for D+ / D- as far as I'm aware.so left those alone. if I'm incorrect then oh well. but I can simply change board design and send off for another board.

Return to “Compute Module”