csulz

Connecting two UARTs together

Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 pm

Hello,

I am building an application where I intend that two CM3 units will use the serial lines to communicate between each other. I thought it would be a good start to have two processes on the same CM3 talking to each other. I was able to get /dev/serial0 and /dev/serial1 both working individually, This was verified by connecting TX to RX of the same UART and using minicom to see the loopback echo.

But now when I try to connect serial0 TX to serial1 RX and vice versa, minicom shows garbage characters no matter what I type.

I also tried connecting the CM3 to the UART pins of a pi3, closer to my intended application, making sure to keep a common ground, and I have the exact same problem there.

So is there something I am missing here? What other setup is needed to have two UARTs talk to each other?

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Connecting two UARTs together

Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Your original test - intra-UART loopback - will work whatever the baud rate, whereas the new test - inter-UART loopback - requires that both UARTs are operating at the same baud rate. Use stty (or a suitable library call) to set the baud rate for each UART.

An extra complication with ttyS0 (serial1 on a CM3) is that it shares a source clock with the VideoCore processors, so when the processors enters or leaves turbo mode the baud rate will change. Try adding "core_freq=250" to fix the clock at 250MHz (this happens automatically on a Bluetooth-equipped Pi when the UART (ttyS0 - serial0 on a BT Pi) is enabled.

csulz

Wed May 30, 2018 11:38 pm

PhilE wrote:
Your original test - intra-UART loopback - will work whatever the baud rate, whereas the new test - inter-UART loopback - requires that both UARTs are operating at the same baud rate. Use stty (or a suitable library call) to set the baud rate for each UART.
I was using minicom to do the test, I made sure that they were both at the same baud rate. Would stty overwrite the baud rate setting in minicom? I used the command " minicom -b 115200 -o -D /dev/serial1" and in another console " minicom -b 115200 -o -D /dev/serial0"

PhilE wrote:
An extra complication with ttyS0 (serial1 on a CM3) is that it shares a source clock with the VideoCore processors, so when the processors enters or leaves turbo mode the baud rate will change. Try adding "cpu_freq=250" to fix the clock at 250MHz (this happens automatically on a Bluetooth-equipped Pi when the UART (ttyS0 - serial0 on a BT Pi) is enabled.
Is the cpu_freq setting in /boot/config.txt? Is it different than "arm_freq"? The CM3 doesnt have bluetooth so this would make sense. I figured that the clocks must have been getting desynchronized somehow. I will try your suggestion.

PhilE

Thu May 31, 2018 5:48 am

"core_freq=250" (cpu_freq was an error that I have corrected to avoid confusing others) controls the VPU clock speed, and that of several peripheral interfaces. It is independent of the ARM clock, which is controlled by arm_freq.

csulz

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 pm

The core_freq setting seems to have fixed the problem, I am able to both talk between different UARTs on the same CM3 and communicate to other raspberry pis. Thank you for the help

Return to “Compute Module”