ahrlad

U-Geek CM3L IO board

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:11 pm

I found a pretty interesting IO board from a Chinese company called U-Geek;

The only place I found it for sale is on its Aliexpress site, and it has some limited information available on Sourceforge. The board breaks out the IOs in standard RPI header and the remaining bank 1 gpios on that 14-pin header next to it. It also has the HDMI and dsi/csi ports. I think that microusb-port on the left is only for flashing the eMMC on the CM3 (non L) but I'm not sure -- maybe it's what the 3-pin header next to it is for as well? No network or analog audio though.

I find it interesting because of how compact it is, that it has the standard header and HDMI output, but mostly because it seems to come with an integrated battery charge module with an on/off switch for controlled shutdown? So given that it hasn't got the USB/Ethernet chip of the standard Pi, it should be fairly current-shy.

So since they sell the board for $75 shipped which includes a CM3L, I've bought two of them to use in a mobile project or so. Does anyone have any experience with this board, or any insights into using it?

I'll update this thread when I've received the boards and had a chance to try them out.

ahrlad

Re: U-Geek CM3L IO board

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Here's the GPIO information from an excel sheet on Sourceforge:

And for reference, the GPIO functions for the bank 0 (regular header) and bank 1 (GPIO 28-39, 14-pin header) pins:

That's the only enlightening information I've found about the board online, the rest is just official RPi CM stuff I think. If the boards come with instruction manuals or something, I'll update the thread.

RaTTuS

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm

They do some nice cases for raspberry pi's also IIRC
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ahrlad

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:52 pm

I can't find any dimensions in the descriptions, but this entirely scientific and exact measurement strategy of mine gives the board dimensions as 56.9x82.9.

Edit: That puts it really close to the rpi 3 dimensions (85x56mm). The HDMI and power connectors seem to line up as well, they might have intended for this to fit in regular Rpi cases, not sure if it'll quite squeeze in though.

ahrlad

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:39 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm
They do some nice cases for raspberry pi's also IIRC
They have some cases with pushbuttons and small LCD screens for diy media players and stuff. They also seem to have machinery/competence to do some pretty good aluminium work,

ahrlad

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:07 am

Received the boards today. They look perfectly fine and came well packaged in those zip-type antistatic bags with packaging foam on every side. I haven't done any tests yet, just plugged in a lithium battery which seemed to charge up fine -- I haven't figured the power switch out yet, it's independent from the charge circuit though. No documentation at all, just a note with an email address :roll:

I'll update the thread if I decide to do any of the cool tests I'm thinking of

Return to “Compute Module”