techmasterjoe
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:40 pm

How to get a license

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:13 am

How to get a license to use the Pi V2 camera in a custom board used By a company.
NOT for resell as a stand alone product,
using compute modules in a custom design
also using V1 sensors as I'm unable to procure the Atmel chip programed
what are company wants so to buy the crypto chip from the pi foundation but have not been able to find contact info
we are fine with license fee's for use.
Please contact me
joe.rafferty at vigilant solutions dot com

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20908
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to get a license

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 am

If you are building a camera on to a CM base board, then you do NOT need a licence or a crypto chip installed. This is company policy, although the firmware to support this is still under development. This is for either v1 or v2 cameras.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

techmasterjoe
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: How to get a license

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 pm

thanks for that reply
I know it's hard to answer but do you have a ETA on that ?
or maybe an alpha ver I can do testing with ?

I really think the pi foundation needs to setup some type of communication
outside the forum for corporate interaction.

honestly wish we can setup some things and an NDA
so we can get things built to order
as it stands we are using 4 cm3's and 2 pi3's in each system.
we install 8-10k systems per year !
product is for law enforcement.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20908
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to get a license

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:18 pm

techmasterjoe wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 pm
thanks for that reply
I know it's hard to answer but do you have a ETA on that ?
or maybe an alpha ver I can do testing with ?

I really think the pi foundation needs to setup some type of communication
outside the forum for corporate interaction.

honestly wish we can setup some things and an NDA
so we can get things built to order
as it stands we are using 4 cm3's and 2 pi3's in each system.
we install 8-10k systems per year !
product is for law enforcement.
We are looking in to ways of improving industrial/corporate stuff. I'll flag your message up to people who know about these things.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20908
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to get a license

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:23 pm

With regard to the CM3 firmware update, I think its underway, but the guy doing it is not in the office at the moment so I cannot check timescales.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

techmasterjoe
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: How to get a license

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:28 pm

i really appreciate you looking in to this for me.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5938
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: How to get a license

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm

The code change is under review, but needs a couple more sets of eyes on it (crypto and security are sensitive issues)
If you're wanting to test out a prototype, then send me (by private message) the serial numbers of a few of your cm modules, and there is something we can do in the meantime.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

drphil3d
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:59 am
Location: Northern California
Contact: Website

Re: How to get a license

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:41 am

I'm the same boat, I would like to produce my own camera module, I have seen two posts mentioning that there is no crypto required but the CM3 Documentation / data sheet says otherwise.
The rpi3 is not adequate for my application, pi zero w is not available in quantity and lacks performance and other features.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 9211
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: How to get a license

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:37 am

drphil3d wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:41 am
The rpi3 is not adequate for my application, pi zero w is not available in quantity and lacks performance and other features.
You don't specify in what direction the "rpi3" is inadequate. Bear in mind that this sub-forum is concerned with the Compute Module Pis and there is both the original CM (same SoC as a Pi0/Pi0W) and the CM3/CM3L that use the same SoC as the Pi3B. Still...if you'd really rather use the Pi0W, they *are* available in quantity, but not at $10 each...and you have to make a relatively large order. A minimum of about 500 boards has been mentioned.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20908
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to get a license

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:42 am

drphil3d wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:41 am
I'm the same boat, I would like to produce my own camera module, I have seen two posts mentioning that there is no crypto required but the CM3 Documentation / data sheet says otherwise.
The rpi3 is not adequate for my application, pi zero w is not available in quantity and lacks performance and other features.
The docs need updating, you will not need the crypto chip on CM based systems.

Can you provide a link to the page/docs so I can get them updated. Thanks.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

drphil3d
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:59 am
Location: Northern California
Contact: Website

Re: How to get a license

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:01 am

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -camera.md
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... gnguide.md

bottom of the data sheet talks about camera compatibility
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... T-V1_0.pdf
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:42 am
drphil3d wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:41 am
I'm the same boat, I would like to produce my own camera module, I have seen two posts mentioning that there is no crypto required but the CM3 Documentation / data sheet says otherwise.
The rpi3 is not adequate for my application, pi zero w is not available in quantity and lacks performance and other features.
The docs need updating, you will not need the crypto chip on CM based systems.

Can you provide a link to the page/docs so I can get them updated. Thanks.

Return to “Compute Module”