themeerd

Broken Compute Module

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been working on my custom design baseboard for compute module V1. (This is not my first design attempt. I have a few different working designs based on CM). Board bring-up process is ongoing for the board.
I am sure there was no short circuit happened but for some reason, suddenly, CMs started not to boot on the board. When I plug those (two) CMs to CMIO and try to flash them, I get the output from rpiboot as shown below:

sudo ./rpiboot -l
Waiting for BCM2835/6/7
Sending bootcode.bin
Successful read 4 bytes
Waiting for BCM2835/6/7
Second stage boot server
File read: start.elf (hangs up here)

I think the CMs are not dead completely but for some reason they refuse to boot. I measured test points and voltage levels seem OK. I would be glad if someone can show me the way to recover boards or explain possible reasons why this has happened to the CMs.

Thanks.

themeerd

Re: Broken Compute Module

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:13 pm

The interesting thing about compute modules is they keep working with their latest image on their flash but I cannot flash new image with
rpiboot anymore. Since SSH is enabled, I can login into devices and ensure that they are working. This might be a desired thing during mass production, (Some kind of firmware protection :)) but I really want to use these CMs for development. Any ideas?

PS: I can send one of these boards to the foundation if anyone is interested to examine the problem.

James Adams
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi themeerd.

Are you using the very latest rpiboot software, and what platform are you using to flash with? (PC, Mac, Pi?, which OS?) - are you using a Compute Module IO board and if so which version?

What you describe shouldn't be happening, though gsh has fixed a couple of bugs in rpiboot fairly recently so worth making sure you are using the latest version.
James Adams
Raspberry Pi - COO & Hardware Lead

wittend

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:30 pm

I encounter this problem with Ubuntu 16.04. Windows 7.1 and Windows 10 will not update the driver from the downloadable zip file. WIn 10 (admin or not) complains that it is not signed. This has been going on for a LONG time, and either it cannot be reliably fixed (once in a while it works for someone) or the maintainers simply do not want to. Perhaps this is why the documentation remains such a mess, as well. At this point, the CM 3 cards seem to be unusable.

gsh

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:45 am

Have installed it on my Windows 7 machine with no problems, I've not got a Windows 10 machine but it worked fine on James's machine when we tested it with no complaints about the driver signing... I wonder if you've got some higher administration settings making it more difficult to install.

I'm using Windows 7 (64 bit) with SP1 and it doesn't complain. Are you sure you're downloading and running the latest version of the rpiboot_setup.exe The file name has now changed...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

6by9

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:14 pm

gsh wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:45 am
Have installed it on my Windows 7 machine with no problems, I've not got a Windows 10 machine but it worked fine on James's machine when we tested it with no complaints about the driver signing... I wonder if you've got some higher administration settings making it more difficult to install.
Tested on Friday with a Win10 Pro laptop - no issues experienced, and no complaints from Windows over driver signing.
Ubuntu 16.04 in a VM from Win10 just tested and again no issues.

Just for clarity, you are connecting to the micro USB connections on the CMIO for both power and programming.
I seem to recall someone reporting that they could never flash for a second time, but that was because they were using a USB type A to type A cable into the USB host port on the CMIO. The power lines are connected through on that, as are the data pair, so on initial boot the CM found nothing in the EMMC and booted into USB boot mode despite the state of the jumper etc. On a subsequent boot the EMMC was valid so it never dropped into USB boot mode.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Compute Module”