bioe007

CM3 Pricing and availability

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:08 pm

I am working on a project uses the CM3.

The pricing and availability is becoming a concern for me; many sources like Arrow and Digikey are listing the module for $50+ while other vendors (Newark) have sporadic availability with really long lead times.

Are there better channels to purchase quantities in the 500-1000 units range?

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: CM3 Pricing and availability

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:14 pm

bioe007 wrote:I am working on a project uses the CM3.

The pricing and availability is becoming a concern for me; many sources like Arrow and Digikey are listing the module for $50+ while other vendors (Newark) have sporadic availability with really long lead times.

Thanks

Contact Element14 or RS Components Sales Team directly, unlikely they would discuss in a community forum:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/compute-module-3/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

BMS Doug

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:55 pm

bioe007 wrote:I am working on a project uses the CM3.

Thanks
Farnell don't have any, next stock in will be 31st Aug.
RS only have 150, next stock in October.

These suppliers have the Compute modules made to order for them by the Sony factory in wales, everyone else buys their compute modules from these suppliers.
If you order now then they will be able to deliver however many you order as they will simply increase the manufacturing run size appropriately.
I imagine that they only have a manufacturing run every 6 months or so, Planning your stock levels in advance is advisable.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:57 pm

BMS Doug wrote: I imagine that they only have a manufacturing run every 6 months or so, Planning your stock levels in advance is advisable.
I would be very surprised if it is that rarely. One would expect--assuming there are products out there with at least moderate sales volume--that they'd have to do runs at least once a month, and probably more often.

Both RS and Farnell seem to use a set "not for 3 months" placeholder for out of stock, regardless of how long they actually expect it to take to get new stock in. I wouldn't put any faith in the August date. On the other hand, it is possible that all of the production before then is already committed to various customers and the date reflects when they expect to be caught up. A third possibility is that, between the CM3/CM3L and Pi3B, the "pipeline" for having enough BCM2837 SoCs is low and the CM3/CM3L has a lower priority than Pi3B.

Perhaps we will be lucky and someone in the know will give us a ballpark figure for CM3/CM3L sales.

ondrej1024

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:00 am

I noticed the same thing. CMs are available for a short time and then they are out of stock with very long backorder times. At the moment neither CM1 nor CM3 are available from any official reseller. There are just some offers on ebay or Amazon for ridiculously high prices.
This situation is causing quite some issues for products based on the CM. Looks like stocking high quantities yourself is the only solution.
The Telegea.org project: https://www.telegea.org

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:10 pm

ondrej1024 wrote:I noticed the same thing. CMs are available for a short time and then they are out of stock with very long backorder times. At the moment neither CM1 nor CM3 are available from any official reseller. There are just some offers on ebay or Amazon for ridiculously high prices.
This situation is causing quite some issues for products based on the CM. Looks like stocking high quantities yourself is the only solution.
As I stated in my other post contact E14 or RS, relying on Forum Posts and perceived availibilty to gripe is not good Business Sense........
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:38 pm

ondrej1024 wrote:I noticed the same thing. CMs are available for a short time and then they are out of stock with very long backorder times. At the moment neither CM1 nor CM3 are available from any official reseller. There are just some offers on ebay or Amazon for ridiculously high prices.
Those long lead times when boards are out of stock may be placeholders for "we don't have a firm delivery date yet".

Return to “Compute Module”