pderocco

WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 am

I'm thinking about using a CM3 in a project, but it needs WiFi. Apparently, the RPi 3B has a BCM43143 WiFi chip, but this doesn't appear to be readily available in modest quantities. And it is probably overkill, since I don't need an FM receiver, and I probably won't need Bluetooth. So what's the easiest WiFi chip with an SDIO interface that will work with a minimum of bother with the CM3? I'll probably be using Yocto to build a custom Linux, although any chip that works with Raspbian should be okay.

yaheath

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 pm

I can tell you one to avoid (at least for now). I've been trying to get an ATWILC1000 module working, but the driver support isn't there yet. There's a wilc1000 driver in drivers/staging but I wasn't able to get it to work (though it's being actively updated in the staging-next git repo). There's also an out-of-tree version published by Atmel but it doesn't build in 4.4 or 4.9.

I'll probably kick that one to the curb and look for something else.

One possibility is a USB based Wifi adapter. Since I plan on having a USB hub chip on my carrier board anyway I'll add a type-A jack and plug in one of the off-the-shelf tiny USB Wifi dongles.

mseth

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 pm

BUMP

Has anyone had any success finding a good option for this? Maybe something that also includes Bluetooth 4.0 (combo chip)

ifarkas

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Make it Bluetooth 5 LE + Wi-Fi with QCA4020 from Qualcomm.

InsertTitle

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Here's some good news for you I ended up looking into this for my own project and I came across the ESP-WROOM-32.

I've managed to fabricate the package/footprint part on Eagle if you're using eagle then I'll happily supply it for you to use.

Below is the schematic I did for mine.
You can power it using 3.3V or via a 5V to 3.3V convertor which is the design on the right hand side.
Connect CTS to GPIO39 & RTS to GPIO38 these are your data flow control pins should you wish to tell the device that you'd like to send/receive data from the pi/esp32
Connect RXD0 to GPIO15 & TXD0 to GPIO14 this is your UART Serial which connects directly into the CM3 as there is no need for a UART to USB Convertor atleast for my project I didn't need to use it and it simplifies the build down alot. However you're welcome to use one. The chip that is used for converting to USB is CP2102-QFN-P28. I've also made a footprint/package for this on eagle as well.

jrychter

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:47 am

I've had good experiences with TI WiLink chips, connected via SDIO. They exist in the form of pre-certified modules from a number of vendors (I used a Jorjin WG7831DELF). WiLink8 chips will do WiFi and Bluetooth, in various bands, depending on the specific option you choose.

TI supplies Linux drivers, which work.
--J.
Founder at PartsBox: https://partsbox.io/ (keep track of your electronic components)

Return to “Compute Module”