GilchristT

Recommend contract designer for CM3 IO board?

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Folks

I'm working on a product based on the CM3.

While I've a reasonable amount of experience designing basic PCBs and there are many good resources available to help design a CM I/O board, given this will be a commercial product I want to make sure it's done right. I've limited experience with 4-layer boards and high-speed signalling.

So, can anyone recommend a company or person (or want to put themselves forward) to design a CM3 I/O board. It'll need Ethernet, WiFi, a couple of GPIOs brought out to headers and an external USB port (I'm guessing LAN9514?).

At this stage I'm only looking for indicative costs. I can arrange my own manufacturing.

Bonus points for anyone using Altium as that's what I'm familiar with.

Thanks

Tommy

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Recommend contract designer for CM3 IO board?

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:16 pm

So for the www.fiveninjas.com Slice project we developed our own CM base board. It has the CM3 compatible connector, CS4265 audio codec, LAN9514 and WS2812 LEDs around the periphery...

If this suits your requirements then you could always just buy the PCBs from FiveNinjas...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

jrjetski

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi,
I'm running a kickstarter project at the moment to make an Altium Designer Integrated Library for the SODIMM socket schematic and footprint to make it easy to include the Compute Module (1, 3 and 3 lite) into your Altium designs.

I know it's not exactly what you are after, but it can give you a head start, as there is a lot of work to create the library for the schematic and footprint of the Compute Module.

You can check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jr ... pi-compute
Thanks,
Jonathan.

Tryum

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm also really interested by any company/contractor that can make a host board design for my project !

jack.hayes

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Have you checked out Geppetto by Gumstix?

You can design a board online and they deliver a populated, pre-tested board (not just PCB).

https://geppetto.gumstix.com/

John Westlake

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:12 pm

It depends whats required, but we have a handful of Projects based on the CM3 so have now built up a far bit of experience with CM3 based designs.

I also have small scale inhouse manufacturing and testing based in mainland Europe (not the cheapest but OK for small volume / prototypes)....

PIng me a PM if I can help.... if nothing else I'm happy to share the issues we have encountered with the CM3 so you don't repeat the expense...

Return to “Compute Module”