CM3

91 posts   Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4
by ktc1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:14 am
Can we please get an update from foundation regarding the timing of CM3? None of the distributors have any clue.

Inquiring minds like to know:
- Interface
- Availability timing
- Pricing

Thx, Ktc.
by DirkS » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:06 pm
The RPF generally doesn't announce products, so it's unlikely that you will get any information (and information .NE. speculation)
by jamesh » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:17 pm
This is an educated guess.

Interface - same as the CM1
Price - same as the CM1
availability - I know prototypes have been made and are being tested.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by fruitoftheloom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:15 pm
jamesh wrote:This is an educated guess.

Price - same as the CM1

...but that also applied to the CM2 which was canned :shock:
Ex Computer Repair & Service Technician.
RPi 3B, HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer, Google Chromecast, Android Smart Phone, HD 1080p TV and 3/4G Mobile Internet make ideal companions.
by fruitoftheloom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:17 pm
ktc1 wrote:Can we please get an update from foundation regarding the timing of CM3? None of the distributors have any clue.

- Interface
- Availability timing
- Pricing

Thx, Ktc.

You will receive all the answers on the day it is officially released just like every other product launch, unless you want to order 3K+ then you should be talking direct not via a Public Forum :D
RPi 3B, HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer, Google Chromecast, Android Smart Phone, HD 1080p TV and 3/4G Mobile Internet make ideal companions.
by RaTTuS » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:23 pm
the CM2 was suggested that there may be one but not guaranteed
the CM3 has been announced and will be available later this year
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe
by jamesh » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:17 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
jamesh wrote:This is an educated guess.

Price - same as the CM1

...but that also applied to the CM2 which was canned :shock:

Quite some time ago (10 months?) I spoke to Eben and the CM2 was never going to see the light of day once the 2837 was proven to work. I'm not sure a CM2 was ever even made in proto form, unlike the CM3. So this is quite a different scenario. 6x9 even has a CM3, and has been testing it with twin cameras to make sure everything works. I presume on a standard CM base plate, so the I/F should be the same.
by 6by9 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:43 pm
jamesh wrote:Quite some time ago (10 months?) I spoke to Eben and the CM2 was never going to see the light of day once the 2837 was proven to work. I'm not sure a CM2 was ever even made in proto form, unlike the CM3. So this is quite a different scenario. 6x9 even has a CM3, and has been testing it with twin cameras to make sure everything works. I presume on a standard CM base plate, so the I/F should be the same.

Not my place to make comment beyond confirming I have a CM3 in the flesh (not fired it up yet, but I have connected two cameras to it now). The standard released firmwares support it.
I never saw a CM2, so I can believe that it was abandoned once 2837 was shown to work.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.
by W. H. Heydt » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:48 pm
6by9 wrote:
jamesh wrote:Quite some time ago (10 months?) I spoke to Eben and the CM2 was never going to see the light of day once the 2837 was proven to work. I'm not sure a CM2 was ever even made in proto form, unlike the CM3. So this is quite a different scenario. 6x9 even has a CM3, and has been testing it with twin cameras to make sure everything works. I presume on a standard CM base plate, so the I/F should be the same.

Not my place to make comment beyond confirming I have a CM3 in the flesh (not fired it up yet, but I have connected two cameras to it now). The standard released firmwares support it.
I never saw a CM2, so I can believe that it was abandoned once 2837 was shown to work.

Right. So now we have to wait for Pi3B sales to slow down enough for there to be factory capacity to make enough of them to actually launch it. Since I don't think overall sales figures for the CM have even been hinted at (though "successful" implies that it's at least in the hundreds of thousands), one might surmise that an initial inventory of as little as 50K *might* be enough. It's not like average users are going to jump on this the way they do with the Pi Zero or Pi3B. The CM line is, after all, a rather specialized part...and not as cheap as a B series Pi, plus it requires at least a carrier board to do *anything*.
by jamesh » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:18 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
6by9 wrote:

Right. So now we have to wait for Pi3B sales to slow down enough for there to be factory capacity to make enough of them to actually launch it. Since I don't think overall sales figures for the CM have even been hinted at (though "successful" implies that it's at least in the hundreds of thousands), one might surmise that an initial inventory of as little as 50K *might* be enough. It's not like average users are going to jump on this the way they do with the Pi Zero or Pi3B. The CM line is, after all, a rather specialized part...and not as cheap as a B series Pi, plus it requires at least a carrier board to do *anything*.

A good assessment of the situation I would think.
by ktc1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:47 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
ktc1 wrote:Can we please get an update from foundation regarding the timing of CM3? None of the distributors have any clue.

- Interface
- Availability timing
- Pricing

Thx, Ktc.

You will receive all the answers on the day it is officially released just like every other product launch, unless you want to order 3K+ then you should be talking direct not via a Public Forum :D

Where I should go? I talked to Element14, they have less knowledge than this forum. My volume is more than 3K.
by W. H. Heydt » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:53 am
ktc1 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

- Interface
- Availability timing
- Pricing

Thx, Ktc.

Where I should go? I talked to Element14, they have less knowledge than this forum. My volume is more than 3K.

I guess Google is down... Start here: https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... on-service
by plugwash » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:19 pm
ktc1 wrote:Where I should go? I talked to Element14, they have less knowledge than this forum. My volume is more than 3K.

Personally if I were you i'd pop eben an email, i'm not going to post his address where spammers can scrape it but it's not difficult to guess.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by W. H. Heydt » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:37 pm
plugwash wrote:
ktc1 wrote:Where I should go? I talked to Element14, they have less knowledge than this forum. My volume is more than 3K.

Personally if I were you i'd pop eben an email, i'm not going to post his address where spammers can scrape it but it's not difficult to guess.

IF it were me, I'd wait at least to next week, if not the week after to do so. As I understand it, Liz and Eben are on a well earned vacation.
by ktc1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:56 am
Ok Thanks. I will try to email Eben directly.
by mkelly99 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:53 pm
I developed a multiple CM cluster a few months back, but held off fabbing. Once I saw the reference to the CM3 in the Pi 3 announcement I went ahead and sent it to the fab house. Should be back in a few weeks. I am looking to get some CM3's as soon s possible, but we'll debug using CM1. Note that we used the CM1 as the board management controller in a previous x86 cluster design, so we know that works pretty well.

I have been thinking of open sourcing this carrier and the blades that hold the CM. We are not really in the business of servers so we know it ill take some collaboration to bring it to market. Plus we want to make it available to as many folks as possible.

501m10_viewa1.jpg
501m10_viewa1.jpg (49.66 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

The carrier has ten blades and one CM for management. It has two cross coupled 8-Port GIGe switches with four out-facing ethernet ports. Each blade has the CM, an M.2 SSD socket and a GIGe controller. The management CM has an HDMI and USB connector plus can be programmed via the Micro-USB.

blade_capture.JPG
blade_capture.JPG (58.27 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

I also have a 3D pdf of both boards that anyone can have to let you rotate, zoom in, etc.

I am looking for feedback and if anyone is interested in getting involved let me know! We plan to build 5 or 6 alpha units for intial testing. My work email is mike@pi2design.com.
by charlton91 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:55 am
I have been looking for news of the Compute module 3 since Eben eluded to it when he released the PI 3. We are developing a new product and have designed around a compute module, it would be good get the boost in performance that the CM3 will have.

Is there an update on a release date for this?
by RaTTuS » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:07 am
not yet but it is coming
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe
by W. H. Heydt » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:22 pm
charlton91 wrote:I have been looking for news of the Compute module 3 since Eben eluded to it when he released the PI 3. We are developing a new product and have designed around a compute module, it would be good get the boost in performance that the CM3 will have.

Is there an update on a release date for this?

Yes...Eben can be rather elusive...

This is one of those things that you won't hear anything official about until the launch announcement (or so I would surmise from reading the tea leaves). I do suspect, though, that the launch will be later than the RPF would hope because demand for recent products (the Pi3B in the case) always seems to run higher than anyone expects. My best guess would be a launch that is not before September.
by charlton91 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:45 pm
Hi Guys

I just thought that you would like to know that today I found the CM3 on Farnell. They are not available yet but they are awaiting delivery.

http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi-compute3/raspberry-pi-compute-module-3/dp/2675716?exaMfpn=true&categoryId=&searchRef=SearchLookAhead&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false

There is also the Pi Compute 3 Dev kit and also CM3L. They are not currently available from the Pi page on Farnell but are in the search.
by fruitoftheloom » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:24 pm
charlton91 wrote:Hi Guys

I just thought that you would like to know that today I found the CM3 on Farnell. They are not available yet but they are awaiting delivery.

http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi-compute3/raspberry-pi-compute-module-3/dp/2675716?exaMfpn=true&categoryId=&searchRef=SearchLookAhead&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false

There is also the Pi Compute 3 Dev kit and also CM3L. They are not currently available from the Pi page on Farnell but are in the search.

Yes list both CM3 & CM3L

£22.00 CM3 http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi- ... dp/2675716

£19.00 CM3L http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi- ... dp/2675717
by W. H. Heydt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:29 pm
charlton91 wrote:Hi Guys

Thanks for that....I was considering starting a "count down" thread.

Edit to add... I don't see the dev kit. One may hope that the price will be reasonable.
by ElEscalador » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:42 pm
Awesome...I think the the USD is not too far off from the pound so that's not US $5 , but still something I can choke down and pass on to customers.
A few of my projects below.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdlhFMXxFUNlMpeqHipdSIO20pb4piHfj
by charlton91 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:43 pm
by W. H. Heydt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:01 pm

So...offsetting the exchange rate and VAT, the US price should be right about $125. That's not too bad. At launch the CM1 dev kit was $230, though you can get it for less than $75 now.

Aha... Found teh US listings: http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... i-compute3

CM3L: $27
CM3: $31
Dev Kit: $177.

(Some round off done...I doubt that anyone is that concerned about exact to the penny prices.)

AND...Newark is doing their "+$20 shipping per order" trick which means that they're not stocking (and possibly not planning to stock) CM3 products in their US facilities. Thanks guys...you've just sent this potential customer to Allied (the RS US subsidiary) for there items. I really have to be desperate--and be facing a "sole source" situation--to pay the *extra* shipping charge. And that's on top of what appears to be very unfavorable tax and currency conversion figures.