bonzadog

Raspberry pi 2 as a computing module

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:38 pm

Hello,

I would like to see a RPi 2 as a compute module. I think the extra "umpf" and storage would be super
for commercial applications as for hobbyist as well.

Just an idea.

rpdom

Re: Raspberry pi 2 as a computing module

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:44 pm

It has been mentioned that there is a possibility of that at some point.

It might be a bit tight on space with the extra SDRAM chip though.

gunghoguy

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:25 am

Agreed. If anyone at Pi Towers has the time and enthusiasm to design it, a Pi2 compute module would be very welcome.

bonzadog

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:06 am

Thank you for your reply.
I was wondering if space would be a problem, perhaps a bigger card would be acceptable.
I see serious industrial applications here.

BD

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 am

It's on the plan. As will most things, it's a question of manpower.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Briarios

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:05 am

jamesh wrote:It's on the plan. As will most things, it's a question of manpower.
May I suggest allowing the pi community to design the board and then the foundation to vet and confirm the designs? :D
http://rpi.pmfg.me -- Test board Eagle Cad Files.

bonzadog

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:18 am

@briarios

I like that idea - perhaps just a few pooled suggestions what would nice to have. But it would be a
help to the RPi.org if the could rely on help from the community.
i.e. a SATA disk connection, perhaps? I would be quite willing to pay more.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:30 am

bonzadog wrote:@briarios

I like that idea - perhaps just a few pooled suggestions what would nice to have. But it would be a
help to the RPi.org if the could rely on help from the community.
i.e. a SATA disk connection, perhaps? I would be quite willing to pay more.
Over the last 3.5 years the RPF have always stated backward compatibility is a must.

Regards SATA that has nothing to do with the Compute Module, that is an option of the Base Board when the Developers Designs his product..
Adieu

gunghoguy

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:05 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Over the last 3.5 years the RPF have always stated backward compatibility is a must.
I hope backwards compatibility won't restrict development. For instance, some other comparable cards have a PCI express interface rather than Ethernet over DDR2-like pins. PCI express might make it easier to link a RasPi compute module 2 with other devices. (Please excuse me if this idea is silly. I am not an expert.)

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:18 pm

gunghoguy wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
I hope backwards compatibility won't restrict development. For instance, some other comparable cards have a PCI express interface rather than Ethernet over DDR2-like pins. PCI express might make it easier to link a RasPi compute module 2 with other devices. (Please excuse me if this idea is silly. I am not an expert.)
You appear to be completely mistaken about the Compute Module and how it is interfaced to the Base Board, time for reading:

http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... dule-learn
Adieu

Briarios

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:47 am

May want to check what you're quoting guys as it appears to some that I am the bad guy for starting the war :P :lol: :D
http://rpi.pmfg.me -- Test board Eagle Cad Files.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:57 am

Briarios wrote:May want to check what you're quoting guys as it appears to some that I am the bad guy for starting the war :P :lol: :D
Paranoia ?

You just misunderstood what was asked by Original Poster as did the 2 Posters following you...
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adieu

bonzadog

Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Paranoia ?[/quote]

this is just plain bloody rude! Go play somewhere else.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:39 pm

All of you... tone down, or I will be forced to lock this thread. :(

P.S.
The compute module MUST use the same SoC as the original raspberry PI, so things like SATA will NOT be possible.

bonzadog

Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:06 pm

mahjongg wrote:All of you... tone down, or I will be forced to lock this thread. :(

P.S.
The compute module MUST use the same SoC as the original raspberry PI, so things like SATA will NOT be possible.

Can the SoC not be changed?
This started with suggesting new compute module (kit) using a Raspberry Pi 2B as a future Project..
Could one not start a new design using a RPi 2 but add SATA - this would not stop being
reverse compatable.
OK, one can use a Disk via USB , but that is relatively slow.
I do like that suggestion that some RPi members could help out.
Perhaps making asking for suggestions?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:13 pm

bonzadog wrote:
mahjongg wrote:All of you... tone down, or I will be forced to lock this thread. :(

P.S.

Can the SoC not be changed?
This started with suggesting new compute module (kit) using a Raspberry Pi 2B as a future Project..
Could one not start a new design using a RPi 2 but add SATA - this would not stop being
reverse compatable.
OK, one can use a Disk via USB , but that is relatively slow.
I do like that suggestion that some RPi members could help out.
Perhaps making asking for suggestions?
The Compute Module and BaseBoard are 2 different products.

The BaseBoard in the Development Kit is a Reference Design to enable the developrs / manufactures to create there own product.

The Compute Module is a RPF and Associated Partners Developed Product and was what the OP was refering to.......
Adieu

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:25 pm

P.S.
When developing a BaseBoard USB to SATA Controller can be implemented, but the Original Poster was asking about the Compute Module not the BaseBoard

http://www.hitechglobal.com/Components/USB_SATA.htm
Hello,

I would like to see a RPi 2 as a compute module. I think the extra "umpf" and storage would be super
for commercial applications as for hobbyist as well.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... eben-upton
Adieu

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 pm

bonzadog wrote: Can the SoC not be changed?
It can and has been, but fundamental changes cost millions of dollars to implement.

bonzadog

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Actually when I started this discussion, I should have written that a complete new concept of a computer module perhaps could be considered.
(I had thought that using a RPI 2 would mean imply a new design and a new design would be a good thing.)
Perhaps, then, a new system not as a Compute module ( which is primarily used for industrial applications) . I really would like a system that can boot from a HDD. SD do cause problems after a while.
The Banana Pi uses a SATA interface but I am unsure if it can boot from HDD.

BD

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:09 pm

bonzadog wrote:30.01.2016

Actually when I started this discussion, I should have written that a complete new concept of a computer module perhaps could be considered.
(I had thought that using a RPI 2 would mean imply a new design and a new design would be a good thing.)
Perhaps, then, a new system not as a Compute module ( which is primarily used for industrial applications) . I really would like a system that can boot from a HDD. SD do cause problems after a while.
The Banana Pi uses a SATA interface but I am unsure if it can boot from HDD.
There have been statements made that--someday--there will be a CM2 based on the 2836 chip, which is the SoC on the Pi2B. No one knows when that will appear. However, the 2836 still has to boot from either an SD card (as the Pi2B does) or on board flash (as the 2835 on the CM does).

Western Digital has a carrier board that includes a SATA interface. It also has 2 USB2 ports. Unfortunately, it lacks an Ethernet RJ-45 jack (which is, for my purposes, a project-killing weakness for using it).

I have no first-hand experience with the Banana Pi, but I do with the very, very similar Cubieboard. Both use the Allwinner A20 SoC and both have a SATA II connector. You cannot boot a Cubieboard from a SATA attached HDD (I actually use an SSD). It has to boot from a microSD card or the on-board flash memory. However, once it boots, you can have the root partition on the attached SATA drive, so there is little or no writing to the SD card, leading to long-term reliability. I have one that has been in use for about 3 years with the same SD card.

All of that having been said, I would *love* to see a CM2 and a carrier board that has at least 2 USB ports and both Ethernet and SATA. What I would love even more would be for a future 28xx SoC to have a native Ethernet bus plus some sort of fast bus suitable for access to mass storage, whether SATA or M.2 format. I am not, however, holding my breath waiting for this to happen.

What I find mildly frustrating is the number of boards that have "all but one" of the features that I'd like to see on an SBC. Since boards have different features, I can find ones that have *each* feature I'd like to see, just not a single board that has all of them.

bonzadog

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:55 pm

That was a good reply, thank you. I hope RPI is listening...

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:18 pm

The BCM2835/36 only have ONE USB output so it would need a USB-SATA Chipset.

Changing the VC4 VPU / ARM CPU SoC, as has been stated ad-infinitum, would mean throwing away 5 years of development...

Please understand the Hardware before Fantasy Dreaming, thank you :shock:
Adieu

bonzadog

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:31 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:The BCM2835/36 only have ONE USB output so it would need a USB-SATA Chipset.

Changing the VC4 VPU / ARM CPU SoC, as has been stated ad-infinitum, would mean throwing away 5 years of development...

We are just coming with ideas and know well that new HW would be required. As suggested earlier
perhaps one could create a pool of developers to assist in a new design. The PRI 2 is for me undoubtably one of the best Systems one can buy. But time and requirements do march on, so please accept that. 5 years development would certain not be thrown away, but with using that huge experience the next version would be perhaps developed faster. These are just harmless ideas and suggestions. And yes, I would expect to pay more for a new version of the RPI 2.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:37 pm

bonzadog wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:The BCM2835/36 only have ONE USB output so it would need a USB-SATA Chipset.

We are just coming with ideas and know well that new HW would be required. As suggested earlier
perhaps one could create a pool of developers to assist in a new design. The PRI 2 is for me undoubtably one of the best Systems one can buy. But time and requirements do march on, so please accept that. 5 years development would certain not be thrown away, but with using that huge experience the next version would be perhaps developed faster. These are just harmless ideas and suggestions. And yes, I would expect to pay more for a new version of the RPI 2.
There is nothing stopping you, or anyone else wanting more, developing your ideal product, so far there are various RPi lookalikes..

RPT would have to justify the cost of development and the effect it would have on the RPF fullfilling its aims as a Charity :?
Adieu

jamesh

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:16 pm

There seems to be an underlying assumption in some posts that the Foundation are just sitting there twidling their thumbs, rather than continuing with HW development.

That is not the case.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Compute Module”