helpme

Increase flash memory of compute module

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:20 am

The flash memory is currently at 4GB. Is it possible to increase it to 8GB? If yes, how? If no, why not?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... modelbplus
The compute module is intended for industrial applications, it is a cut down device which simply includes the BCM2835, 512MB of SDRAM and a 4GB eMMC flash memory, in a small form factor.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Increase flash memory of compute module

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:00 am

helpme wrote:The flash memory is currently at 4GB. Is it possible to increase it to 8GB? If yes, how? If no, why not?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... modelbplus
The compute module is intended for industrial applications, it is a cut down device which simply includes the BCM2835, 512MB of SDRAM and a 4GB eMMC flash memory, in a small form factor.
NO, why not, well that should be directed at the Raspberry Pi Foundation they developed the product ;)
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machine is a ChromeBox

rpdom

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:18 am

No, but you could use USB attached storage to give you more space. You could even include that storage in your design so it doesn't need to be plugged in.

rreyes

Mon May 09, 2016 1:07 pm

rpdom wrote:No, but you could use USB attached storage to give you more space. You could even include that storage in your design so it doesn't need to be plugged in.
this is very interesting, could you please write some example with solutions how to do it? I would like to save video files from RPi camera into min 128GB storage embedded in CM board but I cannot find good solutions. Thank you.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 09, 2016 1:13 pm

rreyes wrote:
rpdom wrote:No, but you could use USB attached storage to give you more space. You could even include that storage in your design so it doesn't need to be plugged in.
this is very interesting, could you please write some example with solutions how to do it? I would like to save video files from RPi camera into min 128GB storage embedded in CM board but I cannot find good solutions. Thank you.
Simply use the USB port and attach a USB memory stick of 128GB. You'll need to mount it at a location, then save images to that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

rreyes

Mon May 09, 2016 2:34 pm

jamesh wrote: Simply use the USB port and attach a USB memory stick of 128GB. You'll need to mount it at a location, then save images to that.
Thank you. right, but I was considering some industrial solution for commercial purposes. As all GPIOs in my CM are already in use, I wanted to find some way to connect min. 256GB ssd drive via usb (I cannot use SATA). Do you have some idea for this?

6by9

Mon May 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Almost no SSD drives will have a native USB interface - they'll all be SATA or M.2.

If you want 256GB, then there are 256GB USB sticks out there - http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Dri ... ---150MB_s would be one candidate, but there are many many others. If you've got really big pockets, then you can go up to 1TB
(Other suppliers are available - I only use mymemory as an example).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

rzusman

Mon May 09, 2016 3:02 pm

Why not use an SD card?
They use SPI, so they typically take only 1 additional GPIO (CS).

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 09, 2016 3:30 pm

rreyes wrote:
I have a CM on a WD SATA adatper with a 60GB SSD. The OS (Raspbian) is on the SSD. I am anticipating putting the boot partition there as well when the CM3 is released and the boot from USB is ready to go. The drive could be any 2.5" HDD or SSD.

Return to “Compute Module”