HardTech
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Breakout board

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi,

Is there a small break out board for the compute module. The break out board only needs to gain access to the pins on the CM

Thanks

Briarios
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact: Website

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:43 am

The Only breakout board that I know of that will give you access to the pins is the devboard that comes with the Compute module.
http://rpi.pmfg.me -- Test board Eagle Cad Files.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 33847
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:32 am

Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

User avatar
MarkHaysHarris777
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 am
Location: Rochester, MN
Contact: Website

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:51 am

Be cautious of the compute module. Broadcom has an agreement with the Raspberry PI foundation, but may not deal directly in limited quantities to individuals, kickstarts, or small enterprises. You may need to order a couple of thousand modules ! Availability might be tight. This has happened before, it will happen again; you've been warned.

On the other hand, the breakout board Dougie listed above is *very* tempting isn't it?
marcus
:ugeek:

stuartclark
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:59 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:Be cautious of the compute module. Broadcom has an agreement with the Raspberry PI foundation, but may not deal directly in limited quantities to individuals, kickstarts, or small enterprises. You may need to order a couple of thousand modules ! Availability might be tight. This has happened before, it will happen again; you've been warned.

On the other hand, the breakout board Dougie listed above is *very* tempting isn't it?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Broadcom doesn't make the compute module, the RPI foundation do, so there is no need to deal with Broadcom directly at all (indeed as you say they would have very large minimum orders and you wouldn't have access to everything you needed anyway, such as the closed source firmware code made by the RPI foundation).

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10085
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:14 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:Be cautious of the compute module. Broadcom has an agreement with the Raspberry PI foundation, but may not deal directly in limited quantities to individuals, kickstarts, or small enterprises. You may need to order a couple of thousand modules ! Availability might be tight. This has happened before, it will happen again; you've been warned.

On the other hand, the breakout board Dougie listed above is *very* tempting isn't it?
dunno what you are thinking of ...
the CM is nothing really to do with broadcom
farnell / rs sell them
http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi ... dp/SC13437
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8268825/

and the dev kit on RS is a lot cheaper now
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8134164/
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

User avatar
MarkHaysHarris777
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 am
Location: Rochester, MN
Contact: Website

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 am

RaTTuS wrote: dunno what you are thinking of ...
the CM is nothing really to do with broadcom
farnell / rs sell them
http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi ... dp/SC13437
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8268825/
hi, do you know whether the CM can be purchased without limits (and) does farnell have an agreement with broadcom ? I have been warned in the States that the CM would not be a practical development opportunity because of availability and pricing (or outrageous quantities) that change once the prototype goes into production... is this possible, or just hype?

thanks
marcus
:ugeek:

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 12814
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Ankh-Morpork

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:38 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:hi, do you know whether the CM can be purchased without limits
You'd have to talk to Farnell (or RS?) about quantities. Are you talking thousands or tens/hundreds of thousands?
does farnell have an agreement with broadcom ?
Well, yes. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to make the Pi. ;)
Last edited by rpdom on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghans
Posts: 7793
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:43 am

Both Farnell and RS would propably like huge orders (actually , i think it was the Pi which forced
them to learn how to deal with hordes of private , individual customers for the first time).
But since the CM is meant to be integrated into your own products customers seem to take their time to fine-tune everything.

I think you should clearly communicate with Farnell/RS via their official sales contacts how much you need.
This forum is propably not the right place to negotiate huge orders (not to forget that not all Foundation and
almost zero RS / Farnell representatives watch it hour after hour) .

ghans
Last edited by ghans on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

stuartclark
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:46 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
RaTTuS wrote: dunno what you are thinking of ...
the CM is nothing really to do with broadcom
farnell / rs sell them
http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi ... dp/SC13437
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8268825/
hi, do you know whether the CM can be purchased without limits (and) does farnell have an agreement with broadcom ? I have been warned in the States that the CM would not be a practical development opportunity because of availability and pricing (or outrageous quantities) that change once the prototype goes into production... is this possible, or just hype?

thanks
Warned by whom?

Someone from RPI should be able to give you whatever guarantees you need relating to how long it will be available & quantities, but they haven't indicated any limits so far (excepting any stock issues due to demand at times, which should be quickly fixed) and have indicated CM will be available for "years".

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10085
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Breakout board

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:15 am

I cannot answer for farnell or rs or mcm or elemet14 etc
but you can easily buy 1 - 1000 from them if you are wanting 10's or 100's of thousands then contacting them directly will give you a price point and delivery scheduled

I know rs uk has approx 8k for immediate delivery
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Breakout board

Tue May 19, 2015 11:09 am

There is no limit to the availability of the Compute Module, if you want 1m devices then RS and Farnell will be able to supply them, if you're actually interested in that sort of quantity then they'll talk to you directly, if you're just interested in a couple of thousand then they have those sitting waiting

As for 'warned' that sounds like you were warned by a party interested in selling you a $1000 embedded PC instead!
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

Return to “Compute Module”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests