Mark_Speir

Just got the CM4 Hirose connectors, and OMG!

Tue May 18, 2021 10:40 pm

This will be a first for me! :shock: I have hairs on my head thicker than those pins!

Can someone point me in a direction of fine pitch SMD soldering tutorials?

kelroy

Re: Just got the CM4 Hirose connectors, and OMG!

Thu May 20, 2021 3:59 pm

You will do it by hand?, on this case will be really dificult to do it.

The best option is with solder paste and a reflow oven, as the component will go to his side alone if the fooprint its desing correctly.

If you go by hand... solder just two pins, one from the the upper side and other on the lower side and see how it is. You need to be very very precise or the module will not fit on the conector or force it in a strange direction.

rpdom

Thu May 20, 2021 4:21 pm

People have had some success by fitting the connectors to the CM, then placing that over their carrier board. Then carefully soldering the corner pins before drag soldering the rest. Finally remove the CM (carefully - the connectors are only rated for a few insertions) and finish the other pins.

That way you can be sure the connectors will line up perfectly with your CM.
Unreadable squiggle

Mark_Speir

Thu May 20, 2021 4:44 pm

After giving it some thought, I'm going to go the reflow method. I'm not a masochist and I can barely see the pins!

run_the_race

Sat May 22, 2021 8:58 am

Generally when the pins are really small, it comes down to adding lots of flux, and blobbing the solder, the flux then makes the solder flow off where there are not pads. But yes reflow sounds like the way to go for you.

Return to “Compute Module”