macmaster28

Micro SD card lifespan

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Hey folks,
Just wanted to ask what everyones experience has been with using microSD cards as the system drives for your RPIs. I am building a custom rpi4 as a network controller, but its going to be installed somewhere where it will be very difficult to reach and replace the sd. I am by no means an expert, but all it is doing is basic firewall tasks, so there shouldn't be much written data, just reads. I am using a 16gb sandisk ultra microSD.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I know that EMMC is the superior option when it comes to storage longevity but an emmc module wont fit in my custom enclosure, and im pretty sure a microsd card should be fine, just wanted to double check.

thagrol

Re: Micro SD card lifespan

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:45 pm

As you've posted in the Compute Module subforum I'm going to assume that's what you're using. All current CM models except the lite versions have onboard EMMC so an SD card is not needed.

Well not unless you're using a CM3(+) lite.
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

macmaster28

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:14 am

thagrol wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:45 pm
As you've posted in the Compute Module subforum I'm going to assume that's what you're using. All current CM models except the lite versions have onboard EMMC so an SD card is not needed.

Well not unless you're using a CM3(+) lite.
I think I’m in the wrong thread, my bad

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:51 am

If you're not using the CM, then ask for your thread to be moved. Use the ! icon in the top corner to report your post, and say where you want it to go. A moderator will then do it for you.

As for SD card lifespan, it mainly depends on how many writes you are doing to the card.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Compute Module”