leelabks

Issue in Flashing CM3 eMMC

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:35 am

I am using Windows 7 for the development and I am follow the instruction (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... lashing.md) to flash the CM3 board eMMC, i tried the "WINDOWS INSTALLER" section, but when the CM3 board plug into the computer USB port, the board is recognized as "Microsoft XBox Controller Type S" device. Hence, i uninstall the device from the "Device Manager".

After uninstall it, i see the CM3 board recognized as "BCM2710 Boot" in the "Device Manager". Then i manually select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", if i select "Universal Serial Bus devices", then i see a list of "Microsoft Xbox Controller Type S" for me to choose from. If i select "libusb (WinUSB) devices", then i can select "BCM270x Boot". I think "BCM270x Boot" is the device that i should select.

After all the installation, when i launch the program "rpiboot.exe". this is what i see,

waiting for BCM2835/6/7
sending bootcode.bin
Failed control transfer
Failed to write correct length, returned -7

Then this 4 sentences are keep repeating.

Since i have the issue of using the window installer method, I have tried the "MANUAL CYGWIN INSTALL" method run in windows 7 in the instruction also but same issue happened to me. Can anyone help to support to solve the eMMC flashing issue?

BTw, anyone know why when the device first plug in to the computer, it shows "BCM2710", but when i do the driver installation, the driver can be selected is "BCM270x"? is the issue caused by the driver provided not compatible to the CM3 hardware? The microcontroller used in this board is BCM2837, what is the meaning of the above mentioned BCM2710 and BCM270x?

leelabks

Re: Issue in Flashing CM3 eMMC

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am

no more issue when run the rpiboot as "Run as Administrator".
reference: http://www.embeddedpi.com/documentation ... ute-module.
Everytime power cycle the board, the USB cable communication cable to the computer need to plug and unplug as well.
issue close.

leelabks

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:44 am

update:
if transfer failed, (no need to close the running executable, just leave it there) then need to unplug the usb cable and then plug in the usb cable again (without unplug the power supply cable). according to the test, this can help to solve the problem.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:17 am

If you are using that documentation then you are using an old version of the installer that does not support CM3 properly.

This has recently been updated, you'll know whether you have the right version because:

1) The installer is named rpiboot_setup.exe
2) The driver does not come up as "Microsoft Xbox Controller Type S"

If you're still having trouble, I can only assume this is a problem with uninstalling a previous version of the driver... I'd suggest downloading and running usbdeview from NirSoft and right clicking on the device (when you've plugged it in) and uninstalling the driver using that. Then install using rpiboot_setup.exe

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

JohnAdriaan

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:54 am

gsh wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:17 am
If you are using that documentation then you are using an old version of the installer that does not support CM3 properly.

This has recently been updated, you'll know whether you have the right version because:

1) The installer is named rpiboot_setup.exe
2) The driver does not come up as "Microsoft Xbox Controller Type S"
Gordon,

I just took delivery of my RPi CM3, and downloaded the Windows installer linked in the Blog post "cm-emmc-flashing.md". It is called rpiboot_setup.exe, so according to the above it is the latest version? Unfortunately, the CM3 detects as "Microsoft XBox Controller Type S" - and when I checked the installed .inf file, that is the exact label in the file. Where is the updated rpiboot_setup.exe?

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit

gsh

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:04 am

Try: https://github.com/raspberrypi/usbboot/ ... _setup.exe

This should be the latest version and should no longer have a reference to XBox controller...

I thought I'd updated the documentation to point to this one... Maybe not!

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

JohnAdriaan

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 am

Gordon,

That fixed it!

For those that want to know; with Windows 7 (and later, for all I know), to remove "defined" USB definitions, it's 'just' a matter of finding the old .inf file and deleting it.
  • Windows stores them in C:\Windows\inf under the name of oem##.inf (where ## is an ever-increasing number).
  • When Windows actually uses the file, it compiles it as oem##.pnf.
  • So, find the relevant oem##.inf file(s).
    • The installation date should help, and later files have higher numbers.
    • Then look at the file in Notepad, and check its name.
  • Once you've found the file(s), simply delete them and any associated .pnf file.
After that, when you install the latest file it will use the new version rather than the old one.

gsh

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

The other way to do this is to use the usbdeview software from nirsoft. I've been using this for the last 15 years and it really works well...

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Just right click on the device and select 'uninstall' it will do it properly and make sure that Windows does a proper searching for driver as if it was installed from clean...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

Return to “Compute Module”