PeterO

Re: Potential HDMI licensing issue with compute module?

Sun May 14, 2017 12:35 pm

sgx wrote:Hello,

The product I am working on requires an HDMI output.

I would like a clear response - not a subjective interpretation please.
In which case you should be asking who ever it is that is responsible for the HDMI licence, not asking a question on a community based forum for a small credit card sized computer that just happens to have and HDMI connector on it !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

philby

Re: Potential HDMI licensing issue with compute module?

Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 am

sgx wrote:Hello,

The product I am working on requires an HDMI output.

I would like a clear response - not a subjective interpretation please.

Am I allowed to put an HDMI connector and output on my product, and to sell it, without claiming we are an HDMI device nor using the logo ?

The product is not yet industrial - we would like to sell pre-industrial versions for testers and partners.

Thank you in advance
I think your best bet is to seek professional legal advice. It is ultimately what hdmi.org advised me to do when I contacted them.

If you want my interpretation, yes you need to licence HDMI. HDMI.org have created an ecosystem around the connector. Their licencing agreement specifies royalties if you don't use the logo. The royalties are higher if you don't use the logo because they want you to promote the "brand".

If I was you, I would look at a DVI port and use a DVI to HDMI adapter cable of some description.

Return to “Compute Module”