marksfk

Re: raspberry pi doesn't boot

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:47 pm

My unit is at the office so I have not checked the SW yet. But everything Richard has said matches my finds. Same boards, same no problem with power, same led operation.

Boards are working fine together with Q2 removed. The i2c lines are toggling from the gerturino and when you hold and release the reset button every second leds turns off then on in same pattern (repeatable). I assumed the 328 and 48 were / are running a factory image.

RichardTHF

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 pm

@Gert I am using Rasbian and have read the instructions front to back, and made sure I did everything that was said for the install :/

RicardoM

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi, I have the same problem but have found a work-around that works on my system. I put the header link on the Re pins as if to program the 48 and the Pi boots fine. The other 3 links do not make any difference to the boot-up. I am using the raspbian image from microchip for use with their Chipkit Pi. I have been able to run the blink program successfully but even with this programmed the Pi will still not boot up unless the Re link is in. My Pi is a model B with the holes. Does this help? One other thing - once the Pi is booted up, removing the link has no effect on the Pi.

Richard

Gert van Loo

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:23 pm

There is nothing you CAN do wrong.
If the colour screen comes up the first stage of booting is done. (The GPU is running)
That already implies that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the hardware.
But for some reason the second stage (ARM) does not start.

I only ask because I am 90% sure there is something in the SW which causes this, so I must make sure to have the right SW.

Gert van Loo

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Richard,
thank you. If the 48 RE jumper is in, the CPU is held in reset.
This suggest that there is something coming out of the 48.

I know the manufacturer puts a small test program in the 48 but that
is supposed to be erased at the end of the testing. Still, according to Dom there is nothing
you can put on the pins which should prevent booting (as far as he knows....)

Richard,
if that also solves your problem can you please still send me the board?

-- Gert

marksfk

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Good find Ricardo. I am going to reinstall Q2 and try the reset jumper.

How do I erase the factory images?

@gert it appears only what the 48 is driving on the i2c scl line is causing the pi boot to get stuck at the rainbow screen.

RichardTHF

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:05 am

@Gert - enroute to you via Royal Mail :)

Gert van Loo

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:47 am

How do I erase the factory images?
avrdude is your friend. I think it is like programming an image but with -e
If I recall: avrdude -c ... -p ... -e

marksfk

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:01 pm

it's alive....

Well I reinstalled Q2, then used Ricardo's trick the hold the 48 in reset (jumper across 48 RE). Boom the PI boots with the Gertduino installed. Then I move the jumpers to program the 328.

I ran through the manual and now have 'blink' running on the 328. Some things on the element14 site through me for a bit. Your video talks about 'run avrsetup before anything'. could not find that on the raspbian but turns out did not need it. Also the gertduino examples tar is a zip. I know similar but hard explain to the very new.

Also I did find the avrdude options for erase soon after my last post. I should always try before asking.

Thanks to everyone. Happy Gertduino.ing

RicardoM

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:18 pm

That's great Mark,

I also could not find avrsetup so have nor run it but was able to program the 328 anyway. I have not been able to program the 48 yet since it is not recognized but this is in another thread (m48pa not found) which has a few suggestions for me to try later. Did erasing the 328 and 48 make any difference to your Pi booting?

Richard

marksfk

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Sounds like we are all getting up to speed on the new board. I found as you I can't talk to the 48 (reprogram or erase) until the update is published with m48pa config.

I have lots to play with for now with a working pi/gert and a 328

Thanks again.

davidb24v

Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Haven't had time to play with the gertduino until just before work this morning. I used Richard's jumper trick to get it to boot and have just erased the mega48 and programmed the 328 with the blink sketch.

After erasing the mega48 it boots just fine, with or without jumpers. It would be interesting to know what was on there but getting rid of it certainly made a difference.

So, it looks like if you clear the 48 you're in business. Thanks everybody!

Dave

Gert van Loo

Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:29 pm

It would be interesting to know what was on there
I have a very friendly user in Birmingham sent his Pi + Gertduino to me so I can have a look.

RicardoM

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi all,

I have just erased the 48 and my Pi+Gertduino boot normally with no headers in. Seems to confirm the problem is with a remnant test program from the manufacturer or maybe not erased properly. Hopefully this has not damaged the 48 with the blink program running on the 328. Any chance of this happening anyone?

Great board Gert. You should ship them all with this program - so much more fun getting it up and running!

Richard

ptamike

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:51 am

Gert,

As a follow-up to my last post. I tried booting the Pi with the ATMega removed from its socket. That produced the same error message but the LEDs were all off but running a finger across the Mega socket will turn the LEDs on.

Hope that helps,

Mike

ptamike

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Gert,

Mine now boots with the reset link in place so I've used avrdude to read back the code from the Mega48. I've attached the code to this message. I also noted that the Mega48 sends back the wrong device signature. Avrdude expects 1E 92 05 but the chip returns 1E 92 0A

The avrdude command I used was:

avrdude -p m48 -F -c gpio -U flash:r:48flash.bin:r

Good luck,

Mike
Attachments
48flash.zip
(409 Bytes) Downloaded 501 times

AndyD

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:08 pm

ptamike wrote:... I also noted that the Mega48 sends back the wrong device signature. Avrdude expects 1E 92 05 but the chip returns 1E 92 0A ...
Yes, it is an Atmega48p (or Atmega48pa) so the signature is different. You need to make changes to /etc/avrdude.conf to get it to recognise the chip.
Gordon has provided an archive with his modified version of avrdude. See Gordon's Drogon website

stephen.doctor

Re: raspberry pi doesn't boot [solved]

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:46 pm

has this actually been solved? I have two of the gertuino and both have this issue. none of the solutions provided (not to mention, its a fresh noobs install) have solved the issue.

Gert van Loo

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Well all other users thus far tell me it works for them.
What are your symptoms?

RicardoM

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:01 am

Stephen, do you have another Pi to try? The gpio port is quite delicate and can easily be damaged if you have experimented with other circuits. Haven't had fried Pi yet myself but have cooked an Arduino before.

wegunterjr

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:35 am

I just got the GERTduino Rev 5 and used the updated NOOBS 1.3.3. When I booted i got the TTY error mentioned earlier. I put the jumper on the Reset and was able to boot. once booted, I changed the jumper to the 328 Side (including the 3 other jumpers) and was able to run AVR Setup and got a successful result.

Is there a preferred method to fix the 48 problem. When others are mentioning to flash, is that something I can do from teh RasPi command line? the same place I ran the avrsetup script?

Gert van Loo

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Is there a preferred method to fix the 48 problem. When others are mentioning to flash, is that something I can do from teh RasPi command line? the same place I ran the avrsetup script?

Erasing the atmega48 thus far has solved those problems:
/usr/bin/avrdude -c gpio -p m48pa -e
Of course you must have the 'avrdude' version for the Raspberryi-Pi

blachanc

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:58 am

Gert van Loo wrote: Erasing the atmega48 thus far has solved those problems:
/usr/bin/avrdude -c gpio -p m48pa -e
Of course you must have the 'avrdude' version for the Raspberryi-Pi
Had the same issue (would not boot, and solved by erasing the 48p).
bought on 24_jan : Gertduino Rev5 19 July 2013 ( No serial number/sticker when comparing to the classic gertboard):
N22 72 followed by a white rectangle on the back).

but the command /usr/bin/avrdude -c gpio -p m48pa -e would not work in my case:

I followed gordon's setup https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-p ... ega-setup/

But the conf file does not describe the m48pa, so I could not use the recommended command:

Code: Select all

[raspberrypi] ../avrdude {45}% /usr/bin/avrdude -c gpio -p m48pa -e
avrdude: AVR Part "m48pa" not found.
The command that worked (added an echo to Gordon's script avrsetup* in the function doChip(), to see what command was used to set the 48p fuses), and adapted it:

[raspberrypi] ../avrdude {49}% avrdude -i16 -c gpio -p atmega48p -e

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e920a
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK
avrdude done.  Thank you.
and I guess that because I over-clock turbo, this won't work either (without -i16):

[raspberrypi] ../avrdude {53}% avrdude -c gpio -p atmega48p -e

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: safemode: Verify error - unable to read hfuse properly. Programmer may not be reliable.
avrdude: safemode: Verify error - unable to read lfuse properly. Programmer may not be reliable.
avrdude: safemode: Sorry, reading back fuses was unreliable. I have given up and exited programming mode

Benoit
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

lathyrus

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:18 am

None of the above worked with my Gerduino (Rev 19 July 2013):

[email protected]:/tmp$ /usr/bin/avrdude -c gpio -p m48pa -e
avrdude: AVR Part "m48pa" not found.

[email protected]:/tmp$ avrdude -i16 -c gpio -p atmega48p -e
avrdude: AVR Part "atmega48p" not found.
So I used the following instead and it booted:

[email protected]:/tmp$ avrdude -c gpio -p m48 -e -F

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA48 is 1E 92 05

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

Ken

Greycon

Tue May 13, 2014 3:08 pm

I am having a further twist on this problem. Last night I installed my new Gertduino on my Pi, setup for programming the 328P, downloaded a test program from Eclipse, and off it went, perfect, blinking LED.

Having realised, a little late, that the RTC is hard-wired to the Pi, ( I need the 328P to have access to an RTC) I installed an RTC shield I had from Future Industries. It's a standard Arduino shield, known to be working. Powered up, nothing. The Pi didn't come up. Since I only SSH to the Pi, I couldn't say if the GPU came up.

I removed the RTC, but the Pi still refused to boot.

I removed the Gertduino, and the Pi booted. Phew!

I installed the jumpers, as per this post, to setup for programming the Atmega-48, and the Pi now boots. And the Gertduino runs my blinking code. I reinstalled the RTC shield, and it still all boots. (Looks like a small spaceship now.)

I wen't to bed at that stage, as it was pretty late.

So, I'm wondering, why would installing the RTC have caused this? It it was a case of the Atmega-48 outputting data on the SDA line, surely this would have happened right from the start? I guess I can remove the jumpers and 'scope the SDA / SCL lines and see if I can get a clue.

I will also try to setup the ATMega-48 using Gordon's avrsetup tonight and see if it fixes the problem.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just though it might help someone else who might be having similar issues.

Con

Return to “Add-ons”