tpbholm

Gertduino & Arduino IDE on RPi2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:13 pm

I've posted this issue already on the Troubleshooting forum but realised it would be better to post here.

After finally getting my RPi2 to recognise the Gertduino I have a frustrating issue with the Gertduino and the RPi2 GPIO / Arduino IDE.
I can compile and upload a sketch to the Gertduino but although the upload seems to go ok (no errors reported), nothing happens on the Gertduino eg the 'blink' sketch doesn't actually cause the LED's to blink.

However, if I then reboot the RPi2 the sketch runs on the Gertduino.

How can I resolve this? (Getting the Gertduino recognised on the Pi2 has exhausted my limited problem solving skills).

(If you're struggling with the Gertduino and RPi2 setup install the Gertboard code first (https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-p ... ation-isp/) and check the Gertduino using avrsetup. Then install the Gertduino code and set up the Gertduino again using cd gertduino/avrdude and ./avrsetup).

Gert van Loo

Re: Gertduino & Arduino IDE on RPi2

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Most likely cause is that the reset is not released after programming.
You can try that out be removing the 'reset' jumper after programming and see if the
blink program starts running.
The programming code including the release of the reset pin is written by Gordon.
That means, unfortunately, that I can't find nor fix the exact cause.
You can try to release the reset pin in SW by setting the GPIO pin high.

tpbholm

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 am

Thanks for responding Gert.
You were right. When I remove the reset jumper the blink program runs.
I'm afraid I'm very much a beginner and have no idea how to go about setting the GPIO pin high in SW, but at least I know what the cause of the problem is.
Thanks again.

Gert van Loo

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 am

There was an archive at the Farnell website with Gertduino programs but I can't find it any more.
Attached the archive which has programs for controlling the reset.
(reset_on and reset_off, I assume that is self-explanatory)
They are simple shell script so you can see what they do.

p.s. The archive was build on a Windows machine. It should be compatible with Linux.
Try "tar -xf gertduino.tar" to unpack.
Attachments
gertduino.tar
(7 KiB) Downloaded 496 times

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”