Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Mathematica and Wolfram Complaining About Activation on Pi 2

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi everyone (especially that guy who's All Nutty ;)

I just got my Pi 2 (BIG YAY!) and was surprised and disappointed that when I went to launch Mathematica or Wolfram, the former starts using 58% of the system's CPU resources to keep putting dialogs up warning about trying to open more than one file at a time (looks like notebook files is what it's referring to), and both apps complained about needing to supply an activation code. It's so insistent that it keeps stealing GUI focus to update the dialogs to the point where I can't type anything into the browser address bar or any other application (updating at least once a second). This is using a Foundation-supplied micro-SD card, so is the current Raspbian download any different?

I need to get this fixed ASAP as I have a lot of important educators and educational administrators evaluating the Pi 2 for wide deployment to every student in the district (12,000+). Will also be posting to Wolfram in case they aren't here continuously.

Thanks, and All the Best,
Jim
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

gregeric

Re: Mathematica and Wolfram Complaining About Activation on

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi Jim.

I had similar issues after putting my apt-get upgrade'd A+'s microSD in my 2B. Impatient to see it working, I downloaded the latest Raspbian image, started afresh. That got rid of the licensing popups.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Re: Mathematica and Wolfram Complaining About Activation on

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:14 pm

gregeric wrote:Hi Jim.

I had similar issues after putting my apt-get upgrade'd A+'s microSD in my 2B. Impatient to see it working, I downloaded the latest Raspbian image, started afresh. That got rid of the licensing popups.
Hey gregeric,

I just looked at the version of the Raspbian on the card and it's dated 31 December, so that explains it. Fortunately, I was prescient enough to download the new Raspbian (and Ubuntu) immediately upon the announcement well before the Pi arrived, so I won't need to wait in line for that (especially since our school district blocks all P2P like BitTorrent ):

Thanks, and All the Best,
Jim
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “Wolfram Language”