Kagre

Need help with "Segmentation fault"

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 am

Hi There,

I'm new to Linux in general and the Raspberry Pi specifically, so it is more then safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing...

I know I have a B RPi because of the network port, but I'm not too sure if it's the 256 or 512 version (I think 512).

I was able to walk through some online steps to setup the tightvncserver and can connect to it from my windows box without any problems (as far as I can tell).

I heard about Mathematica being available for download and ran the following command to install it.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine
I wasn't paying attention to the part of the instructions that said to use tab to select <Ok>, so I tried enter, spacebar, and alt+o which just momentarily closed the licensing screen then brought it back up again making me think that there were multiple ULAs to alt+o. After about 10 or 20 ULA flashes I finally thought that I must be doing something off here and maybe I had to actually read it to know which keys to press in order to continue (not so btw). Eventually I found the tab key and it seemed to have completed the install ok, except the Mathematica short cut was not in the Education folder. The Wolfram short cut was in both folders and I could start wolfram from both the command prompt and the icon short cuts; however when I typed mathematica at the prompt it kept giving me "Segmentation fault". So reading a couple of the other posts under this topic I first tried

sudo apt-get purge wolfram-engine
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine
which appeared to clear it out and reinstall (except it didn't re-download and said I already agreed to the licensing) and now I have short cut icons to both the Wolfram and Mathematica. Yet when I click on the Mathematica icon it doesn't act like it's doing anything, and when I type mathematica at the command line I'm still getting "Segmentation fault". The Wolfram Language appears to still be working though.

I also saw the post about adding the # stuff to the init script /etc/inti.d/mathkernel which I did do, but hasn't helped with my Segmentation fault issue.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get mathematica going?

alexatwri

Re: Need help with "Segmentation fault"

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Here are some things you might be able to try:

1) Reboot the Raspberry Pi

2) Make sure your system is fully up to date:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
If Mathematica is not running on the desktop but "wolfram" is working on the command line, then it's having an issue loading the desktop application. The problems you were having with license screen have nothing to do with the application. That's entirely the Debian configuration module and it really can only prevent you from the installing the application. If it installed on your system, then you successfully got past the EULA.

Let me know if it's still failing to load.

Kagre

Re: Need help with "Segmentation fault"

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:15 am

I rebooted and did

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
a couple of times, the first time it did upgrade some new stuff; however the second time it's still giving me the response
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
I did unplug it and run it upstairs to hook into the TV, and when I use startx and go to launch the mathematica icon in the education menu it will launch from there (which got my hopes up).

But when I ran it back down stairs to plug into the router and remoted in via TightVNC, I'm still getting: "Segmentation fault" when typing mathematica at the LXTerminal window, the mathematica icon does not launch anything at all, and when I do sudo mathematica I get
Client is not authorized to connect to ServerCan't open display ":1.0"

Return to “Mathematica”