miriamfcrosson

A writing on the development of mathematical systems

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Hello! There will soon be an exhibition on Mathematics and I was asked to write an essay on the development of mathematical systems. Perhaps you know good sources, or you can tell interesting facts. Thanks! :D

Burngate

Re: A writing on the development of mathematical systems

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Quite what do you mean by "Mathematical systems"? It seems such a broad subject - could you narrow it down somewhat?

ejolson

Re: A writing on the development of mathematical systems

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:31 am

miriamfcrosson wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:45 pm
Hello! There will soon be an exhibition on Mathematics and I was asked to write an essay on the development of mathematical systems. Perhaps you know good sources, or you can tell interesting facts. Thanks! :D
Probably you want something about the history of computer algebra systems. The main softwares I know of are

MIT -> Macsyma -> Maxima

IBM -> Scratch Pad -> Axiom -> FriCAS

U Paderborn -> MuPad -> MATLAB symbolic toolbox

Stanford -> Reduce

U Waterloo -> Maple -> MapleSoft

Wolfram -> Mathematica

Each of these likely has a Wikipedia entry. There may be other softwares as well. Parallel with the development of computer algebra software is the development of the algorithms behind symbolic computation such as the Risch–Bronstein–Trager algorithm for finding anti-derivatives. More information about the theoretical side may be found in the research library at your local university.

Return to “Mathematica”