Mathulator

Mathematica Usefulness

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 am

I am in 8th grade and homeschooled and not allowed to do my homework on Mathematica (I guess I could do it for fun). I am not using rpi in headless. I don't know what I can use it for. ps I don't have a camera board. Update: 106 views and no reply, the silence is deafening

Silas Talley

Re: Mathematica Usefulness

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi there Mathulator,

(I was homeschooled until I started high school a few years ago.)

I use Mathematica to check my calculus homework, the step-by-step solutions can be a great help if you don't have a teacher on hand to ask for help. However, I wouldn't recommend using it as a cheat to not do your own homework. You will get burned on tests and in college if you don't do your own homework :)

That being said, there is a a ton you can do with Mathematica. You can use == to get a Wolfram|Alpha query, for things like population statistics, then graph, analyze and do all kinds of manipulations of the data.

Mathematica is top notch software, and extremely useful if you're doing experiments or research. However, in 8th grade, I can understand your frustration at its "usefulness" factor. If you're ever designing something or doing research, Mathematica can be a life-saver. Otherwise, you might find its more of a toy for true nerds like myself.

Hope that helps,

Silas

P.S. I have been making YouTube videos on the Raspberry Pi, Mathematica, and Programming (Java for now, will be doing more languages later on). Check me out: http://www.youtube.com/c/silastalley. If you have more questions, I can do a video-explanation!

rpidemkit

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:22 pm

You can't be alone. Plus I suspect there are 100 favelas with not a few kids like you.

A few questions; please answer a couple, or invent better ones.
What is 8th grade in years of age and in math concepts?
What are your current interests?
Have you browsed Mma Demonstrations?
Are there any broken math models you are stuck with sorting? Like why gravity waves are hard to measure at home, harder (or is it easier?) to make at home?
Do you make or invent things? Like ..
Which bits of your Pi have you got working?

The aim is to find common ground, and a viral support group or seven.

stderr

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Mathulator wrote:I am in 8th grade and homeschooled and not allowed to do my homework on Mathematica
If your homework is 5 = 2x + 9, what is x? The answer can become nothing more than typing in the question.
I don't know what I can use it for.
Learn to program, perhaps in mathematica.
Update: 106 views and no reply, the silence is deafening
Keep in mind that a lot of people view the forum using its "New Posts" feature and it isn't exactly spectacularly well implemented.

dhada

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:55 am

8-=3(3)4/6-2 these type of questions i get very frustrated.. Can some one tell me any trick to solve these. In my exams these type of questiontions always come which make me confused .. please help me.

Silas Talley

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:25 pm

dhada wrote:8-=3(3)4/6-2 these type of questions i get very frustrated.. Can some one tell me any trick to solve these. In my exams these type of questiontions always come which make me confused .. please help me.

What do you mean by "-=" ? I'm assuming that was a typo... ? It is a symbol in programming, so maybe you meant that?

My advice would be to re-write problems like this with as many parenthesis as possible, then follow the order of operations. If you still need help, maybe you can rephrase your question with more detail?
Hope that helps!

rpidemkit

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:53 am

Hello dhada,

You are not alone!
From your reply you are caring, careful, well motivated and ambitious. All very good!
But there are several little hints that you are under more pressure than is healthy for your thinking. Please ask your parents or a wise adult you trust about this. You will do much better in exams if you have a helpful, caring, support group!

My suggestion : copy out the " 8-=3(3)4/6-2 " very carefully, and check each small part of it against the question paper.
Now check the order of all the bits.
Now write what you are asked to do: 'Simplify' or 'Solve' or 'Factotorise' or 'Find x' or some such. Check you have spelled it right - like fix my mistake ;) I should have typed 'Factorise'
By doing this, you have built your confidence with 100% so far, and you have been taught all you need to do the rest.

In the book 'Don't you have time to think?', many of Richard Feynman's great letters to people like you and me have been collected. His main advice is "Trust the evidence, not the authority." Possibly because each of us sees things differently.

Please write again: hopefully better answers than this will appear!

charlie's

Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:06 pm

Mathematica has some great graphing functions for visualizing math. If you are learning math, these can be used to discover concepts and confirm understanding. Try using the help facility within Mathematica for examples of functions such as Plot and ListPlot (open the help page and type in the name of a function to get examples). These functions are great and easy to use once you learn the syntax.

Return to “Mathematica”