HSQC

Mathematica will not run with TightVNC?

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi,

First post here and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

I recently bought a Pi2 and NOOBS SD card; plugged it into the TV etc. and Mathematica ran no problem.
However after connecting it up to my MacBook Pro via Ethernet/SSH I installed TightVNC and after a lot of messing about with settings I don't understand managed to access the Pi through the screen sharing facility on the Mac. The problem is that Mathematica no longer works... I've spent the day trawling the internet and have tried purging and reinstalling the Wolfram engine but it still does not work - it also no longer works when plugged directly into the TV. The Wolfram Language icon works okay it's just the Mathematica FrontEnd that seems to be frozen whenever I try to open it.

Does anyone on the forum have Mathematica working using this setup or have any suggestions as to how I can fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

HSQC

Re: Mathematica will not run with TightVNC?

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi Again,

I think I solved the problem with a bit more digging on the internet. I tried running Mathematica from a terminal and this eventually gave messages similar to this one:

LinkConnect::linkc: -- Message text not found -- (LinkObject[ctq_shm, 1, 1])

These were files in the /tmp/MathLink folder and the message was different each time I tried to run the command Mathematica -clean. The solution was to add a couple of lines of code to the /etc/network/interfaces file, reboot the Pi and Macbook and then it worked okay.

The two lines of code were:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

I have no idea what it does but it worked... If someone want's to explain what it means I would be happy to know!

Cheers,

Steve

kusti8

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:59 am

What it does is make a special interface called loop back. This is used by programs to locally contact themselves, it's basically a way to loop back to the current machine.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sean.fr

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:26 pm

If you need to staying with TinyVNC, do not upgrade to the Pi to the latest PIXEL build as it not compatible.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Sean.fr wrote:If you need to staying with TinyVNC, do not upgrade to the Pi to the latest PIXEL build as it not compatible.
FUD viewtopic.php?f=63&t=162168&p=1056426#p1056426
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

Return to “Mathematica”