RyanPee

20 x Faulty 512MB Model B PI's for Sale + Accessories

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Hello all!

I am not new to this board, but completely forgot my username, pwd, even reg email etc, so have registered a new account.

Anyway, I am an amateur PI user, obviously looking to expand on this. All I use my PI for is to enable my TV to access the web etc at the moment.

The company I work for recently bought in a load of customer return PI (Maplin kits). Some of the PI's were obviously faulty, so they were going to dispose of them!! Sacrilege, I thought :idea: (nothing to do with maybe making a few quid of course....).

So, I have 20 faulty PI 512 Model B's for sale.

The faults range from the good ol' snapped off Capacitors, Un-responsive HDMi ports (video ports not even tested!), Un-responsive USB Ports, one which - when plugged in - gets very hot close to the micro power-in socket, slightly damaged SD card holders and a couple with Graphics Faults (when booting, the text is very large, and then the boot freezes)?

I also have 2 brand new SD card readers and around 5 brand new capacitors to throw in, along with 10 original Element 14 PI boxes.

On top of this, there are also a load of accessories to throw in, such as a few of the twin USB UK (in the wall) plugs, HDMi leads, UK Keyboards, USB - Micro USB cables (power leads), 4 port USB Hubs - with 5V UK Power Adapters, a couple of 4GB SD cards, USB Mice... See below for summary.

There may be more, but it is all taking up valuable space and I know that a lot of you would put it to great use (again, nothing to do with the money ;)) so this lot is advertised here, and here only. If no-one wants this at a sensible price by next Sunday, it will be going on eBay. Though, I would much rather it all went to you guys and was put to good, inventive use.

So, I'm open to offers on all of this in one lot - or would split, but would prefer to let it all go in one hit.

To summarise:
  • 20 x Model B 512mb Raspberry PI's (various faults, though over half boot)
  • 2 x Transcend (Class 6) 4GB SD cards (I think with Wheezy installed)
  • 5 x Twin USB Wall Plugs
  • 3 x HDMi Cables
  • 7 x 5v Power Adapters (for multi-USB hubs - or whatever)
  • 2 x USB - Micro USB Cables (I think i nicked one for my phone :))
  • 8 x USB Optical Mice
  • 2 x 4 Port USB Hubs
  • 7 x Boxed UK USB Keyboards
  • 10 x Element 14 PI Boxes (for Model B's)
  • 2 x New SD Card Readers
  • 4 x New Capacitors
Collection would be welcome, or delivery - at cost (£10 Max using UK Mail Next Day) or Worldwide at cost, though this would be considerably more, and non-EU Countries would be responsible for tax, duty etc.... Paypal, or cash on collection.
Please either message your offers, or post below - in an auction style I guess? In the interests of fairness though, any in-boxed offers will be posted, also with users id to avoid accusations of me shill bidding - so it would probably be best to just post your offers below.

I will start it off at £100? does this seem fair (a very low price)? I WILL sell here for this amount if this is all that I am offered.
I would just put a price on this, but I can't value it so will leave that to you - the experts.
Viewing in Bognor Regis more than welcome. Good luck!

P.S. I do hope that these do sell here, as I am sure that they would be put to better use by this forums users - at the enthusiasts portal - than anywhere else. I know that I would make more money on eBay etc, but it truly is not about the money, but is simply to enable inventors to invent.

Pics below (took me ages to set up, and is going to take me ages to put it all away again. Perfect Sunday morning activity!)

[img]http://techsparesuk.co.uk/pi-forum/PI-P ... 817[1].jpg[/img]
[img]http://techsparesuk.co.uk/pi-forum/PI-P ... 825[1].jpg[/img]
[img]http://techsparesuk.co.uk/pi-forum/PI-P ... 841[1].jpg[/img]
[img]http://techsparesuk.co.uk/pi-forum/PI-P ... 849[1].jpg[/img]
[img]http://techsparesuk.co.uk/pi-forum/PI-P ... 910[1].jpg[/img]

Any help as to make the images above appear as images, and not links would be appreciated! Please inbox me as to not steer off topic.
Last edited by RyanPee on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RyanPee

Re: 20 x Faulty Model B PI's for Sale + Accessories

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:47 pm

I forgot to mention, these are all brand new, though were sold and opened. They were returned to Maplin as "faulty new goods" though human intervention is clearly evident on the ones with missing capacitors!

Having laid these out side by side, I have noticed that two have additional sockets installed. Are these Model B - Rev 2's? I just want to know this out of pure curiosity.

rpdom

Re: 20 x Faulty 512MB Model B PI's for Sale + Accessories

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 pm

RyanPee wrote:Having laid these out side by side, I have noticed that two have additional sockets installed. Are these Model B - Rev 2's? I just want to know this out of pure curiosity.
Where are these additional sockets?
The Rev 2 has a set of 8 holes for P5 (2x4) next to the P1 pins, and a pair of holes for P6 by the main voltage regulator RG2, plus two 3.5mm "mounting" holes with copper circles around.

The Rev 1 has none of those features, but may have a set of pins soldered in the P2/P3 positions by the video and audio connectors.

RyanPee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:28 pm

rpdom wrote:
The Rev 1 has none of those features, but may have a set of pins soldered in the P2/P3 positions by the video and audio connectors.
Yes, you are right. There are a set of 8 pins soldered to the P2 slot on 2 of the boards. So these are all Rev 1 Boards, but 2 have the pre-mentioned pins. They also have the D14 diode missing on the base of these two boards.

Thank you

RyanPee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm

After thinking about how messy having an auction on a forum post would be, I have decided to list these items on eBay...

For those of you who are interested, here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1163486432
Last edited by RyanPee on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elronno

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:09 pm

No shipping outside UK? I can't even place a bid :-(

RyanPee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Could do it at cost, but it would cost $$$!!

I'll weigh it all, and find out the cheapest worldwide shipping costs i can get asap ;)

RyanPee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 pm

I will make a few calls re Europe and Rest of World shipping for this tomorrow, as the package weighs 8KG.

RyanPee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Looking at these, I really do wish I knew how to program them, as I'm a lazy git. I'd have these opening the curtains when it gets light, hell, I'd be living in a house like the Iron Man, just a lot smaller, and not in Malibu - but Bognor....

Anyway, as I said above I will ship these Worldwide (unless you're from Africa and want to pay by WU or some TT). It won't be cheap, but I will do this at COST.

You are also welcome to have you're own courier collect these, as long as you pay by paypal and the courier is of a known company. Also, if using your own courier, I won't pass over the package until I have a tracking or Waybill number - and it is confirmed by the driver.

So come on, who are the two bidders having the early battle?!

RyanPee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:17 pm

elronno wrote:No shipping outside UK? I can't even place a bid :-(
£13.00 to Holland and would take 2-3 days.

chrisgaza

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 pm

great prices, wonder if i can buy a few and actually fix them especially those with the video problems
Love is all you need

elronno

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Cheers. Please update the eBay listing to allow bidders outside UK.

RyanPee

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Just for you (and other International bidders) I have cancelled the auction and started again as eBay would not let me change the shipping settings....

Don't say I never do anything for you ;)

I will edit the post at the top with the new listing link which is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1163486432

Sorry to all of those who bid already, but my listing end time is all messed up now if it's any consolation!

rpdom

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:07 am

Just a thought. As they are all Rev 1 boards, are you certain that they are 512MB? All of the early R1s were 256MB.

You can check by looking at the model number on the RAM chip. My 256MB Rev1 has a Hynix chip with "2G" somewhere in the of the number. 512MB boards would have "4G". I think that goes for the other make of chip (Samsung?) too.

I don't want you to get caught out by someone complaining they bought a 512MB board and only got 256MB :(

neilf

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:00 pm

rpdom wrote:Just a thought. As they are all Rev 1 boards, are you certain that they are 512MB? All of the early R1s were 256MB.
The are all Rev2 boards, bar two (check the pics). What makes you think they are all Rev1?

rpdom

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 pm

neilf wrote:
rpdom wrote:Just a thought. As they are all Rev 1 boards, are you certain that they are 512MB? All of the early R1s were 256MB.
The are all Rev2 boards, bar two (check the pics). What makes you think they are all Rev1?
See an earlier comment. But checking the pics properly, 18 of them are Rev2 and 2 are Rev1 (no "mounting" holes).

RyanPee

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond but Royal Mail forgot to pay their PDFlib subscription, and it's been causing chaos with every single Royal Mail DMO label printed for all of the company's weekend sales having a watermark across it :evil:

I can confirm that these are all 512MB boards, but only because they came out of the batch of Maplin 512 Model B packages. But just to clarify - what are the concerns with 2 of the boards? I could send macro images of the RAM chips if it would help?

Edit: See below:

Samsung RAM chip on boards with Mounting holes: Image
Samsung RAM chip on boards without Mounting holes: Image

Your input would be appreciated as to whether these are 512, 256, a,b, rev 1 or 2! :?

I am presuming that - looking at earlier posts re the mounting holes and 2G - two of the boards are 256MB?

RyanPee

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Hello peeps.

I'm sorry, but I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse, so these are now sold, and have already been collected.

Return to “For sale”