FrankGould

Raspberry Pi 4B in USA

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Where can I get a Raspberry Pi 4B in the United States? I've ordered from 2 companies and now they say it will be September. That's after lying and saying it would ship the first part of July. What happened to my order and where can I get it sooner? This Raspberry Pi 3B+ can barely run the Raspbian build and locks up with Chromium.

HawaiianPi

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B in USA

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:10 pm

PiShop.us has the 2GB models in stock. Ordered mine July 4 and it shipped the next day (supposed to arrive today).

https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry ... del-b-2gb/

4GB models are backordered and you'll have to wait for them. Many shops will ship kits faster than individual boards, so ordering a kit might get you one sooner (but you'll still have to wait).

FWIW: my 4GB order from June 24 still hasn't shipped, and the shipping date has been pushed back 2 times (July 5, then 10, now 12). Better than August I suppose, but it still sucks. It seems like RPF/RPT is making mostly 2GB models, or people just aren't buying those, because I've seen them in stock at several dealers, and even when they sell out, it's the 2GB models that come back in stock. Once dealers sell out of 1GB or 4GB models they seem to be gone for a long time.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

FrankGould

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks for the response HawaiianPi. I failed to include the 4GB model in this post.

I ordered the 4B on the release date and had expected ship date of 6/28. That date slipped three times before I was told today my order would not be fulfilled until September and the initial products had not yet shipped from the UK. Apparently, that was an inside mistake and misinformation because when I called customer service, the rep assured me it will ship on 7/12, two days later than their website says.

So, I'm considering this a major blunder on the Raspberry Pi product managers who fail to communicate with the distributors they recommend for us to purchase from in the US. It may be only the 4GB models having this problem but communications would help us all better understand where our order is.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 pm

FrankGould wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:30 pm
Thanks for the response HawaiianPi. I failed to include the 4GB model in this post.

I ordered the 4B on the release date and had expected ship date of 6/28. That date slipped three times before I was told today my order would not be fulfilled until September and the initial products had not yet shipped from the UK. Apparently, that was an inside mistake and misinformation because when I called customer service, the rep assured me it will ship on 7/12, two days later than their website says.

So, I'm considering this a major blunder on the Raspberry Pi product managers who fail to communicate with the distributors they recommend for us to purchase from in the US. It may be only the 4GB models having this problem but communications would help us all better understand where our order is.
That quite the leap of imagination to say its the Pi product managers with the problem. Could be anywhere in the supply chain. AFAIK, the guys here have been working very hard to allocate the production equitably, both to larger and small distributors. We are making over 15k a day, sbut even at that rate it will take a while for the supply to even out.

But I am wondering why your Pi3B is running so slowly. Should be very usable with the latest Buster and the Chromium fixes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

FrankGould

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 pm

That quite the leap of imagination to say its the Pi product managers with the problem. Could be anywhere in the supply chain. AFAIK, the guys here have been working very hard to allocate the production equitably, both to larger and small distributors. We are making over 15k a day, sbut even at that rate it will take a while for the supply to even out.

But I am wondering why your Pi3B is running so slowly. Should be very usable with the latest Buster and the Chromium fixes.
You use the term "leap of imagination" when this is a business problem to be solved. My point was "Raspberry Pi product managers who fail to communicate with the distributors" and that is clearly the case as I am a customer anxiously awaiting a Windoze Desktop replacement.

Why isn't there a product manager following the RPi forums about the new release? It would be nice to see how well it is accepted and used but it appears there is some diabolical plot here monopolizing the planet's typical customers. But who knows? No one is talking but we wait anxiously to replace the old demons with apparently new.

How's that for leap of imagination?

Oh, and as for the slow 3B+ (PLUS) running buster (like features busted when update/upgrade), open more than four tabs in Chromium and I have to power cycle the RPi3B+ (PLUS). I can't wait to try Kivy screenmanager to learn it still crashes because of the outdated graphics drivers that leak memory until death.

Regards.

kflmiami420

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:04 am

I got mine last week from the Pi Hut shipped to Florida no problem

adafruit had some 1gig units last week, But I think they only received like 100 units and sold out fast

the us power supply is the hotter item to get , with out it your new pi4 will not work properly as it has a usb-c special circuit.

also get a heat sink or the pimoroni fan setup

Gavinmc42

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 am

the us power supply is the hotter item to get , with out it your new pi4 will not work properly as it has a usb-c special circuit.
Huh? I'm using the old 2.5amp Pi PS.
Not really enough for USB hard drive so those will get external power.
4B4 is scarce downunder too, but my 4B1 is pretty good for simple usage.
IDE coding, 12 tabs and listening to YT no problems.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jbeale

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:41 am

kflmiami420 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:04 am
To clarify: current Pi4 boards do not work with so-called "e-marked" USB-C cables (eg. Apple cables), but it does work with at least some other USB-C cables, and USB-C adaptors.

"A smart charger with an e-marked cable will incorrectly identify the Raspberry Pi 4 as an audio adapter accessory, and refuse to provide power," says Upton. "I expect this will be fixed in a future board revision, but for now users will need to apply one of the suggested workarounds. It's surprising this didn't show up in our (quite extensive) field testing program." https://www.zdnet.com/article/raspberry ... sign-flaw/

rpdom

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:25 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 am
Huh? I'm using the old 2.5amp Pi PS.
Not really enough for USB hard drive so those will get external power.
4B4 is scarce downunder too, but my 4B1 is pretty good for simple usage.
My 4B 4G is working fine with a 3B PSU and cheap USB-C adaptor. I'm not planning to run it with a HD or SSD (yet), but it's good with a 16GB SD card.

jamesh

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:55 am

FrankGould wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 pm

You use the term "leap of imagination" when this is a business problem to be solved. My point was "Raspberry Pi product managers who fail to communicate with the distributors" and that is clearly the case as I am a customer anxiously awaiting a Windoze Desktop replacement.

Why isn't there a product manager following the RPi forums about the new release? It would be nice to see how well it is accepted and used but it appears there is some diabolical plot here monopolizing the planet's typical customers. But who knows? No one is talking but we wait anxiously to replace the old demons with apparently new.

How's that for leap of imagination?

Oh, and as for the slow 3B+ (PLUS) running buster (like features busted when update/upgrade), open more than four tabs in Chromium and I have to power cycle the RPi3B+ (PLUS). I can't wait to try Kivy screenmanager to learn it still crashes because of the outdated graphics drivers that leak memory until death.

Regards.
You made a lot of assumptions in there, mostly wrong.

But hey ho. Seems par for the course.

The 3b Chromium problem is memory related, not much to do about that. Chromium and the web are memory hogs. The graphics driver is improved greatly in Buster, and afaik there are no longer any memory leaks.

edit: Just a FYI, we have a hidden forum on this board specifically for resellers. I pass on relevant comments on here direct to our product managers. We have product managers talking to resellers all the time. We are making over 15k devices a day to try and catch up with demand. We are trying allocate those fairly across both large and small resellers - it would be very unfair to only supply the larger ones since the smaller ones have been very good to us in the past. Not sure what else you expect to be done.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Cael

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:50 pm

looks like we can add CanaKit to the list, dates have changes between june/ july August 1st, August 31st, then July 15th

i inquired about a order that was placed when it was "August 1st" and noticed when "New stock in! get it while supplies last" i emailed and got a response mine would ship ahead of schedule, i half expected it to not be here today :/ now i dont know when it's going to show. prob would of been easier going to Microcenter, (4GB 4B model if it makes any notice in which models selling out well beyond reseller stock)

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:51 pm

Cael wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:50 pm
looks like we can add CanaKit to the list, dates have changes between june/ july August 1st, August 31st, then July 15th
If you want a Pi 4B, the 2GB models are still in stock at PiShop.us. https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry ... del-b-2gb/

I don't know what's going on with the 4GB models, but they're pretty much impossible to get now. I ordered mine on launch day and the shipping has been pushed back 3 times. I might just cancel my order and wait until the the issues with the USB-C port and supply chain have been sorted.

thatchunkylad198966

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:13 pm

I know someone from the US and he ordered from ThePiHut, took less than a week to get delivered to him but postage was around £11 for him.
If you can't wait; do that.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

FrankGould

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:53 pm

@jamesh

The 3b Chromium problem is memory related, not much to do about that. Chromium and the web are memory hogs. The graphics driver is improved greatly in Buster, and afaik there are no longer any memory leaks.

edit: Just a FYI, we have a hidden forum on this board specifically for resellers. I pass on relevant comments on here direct to our product managers. We have product managers talking to resellers all the time. We are making over 15k devices a day to try and catch up with demand. We are trying allocate those fairly across both large and small resellers - it would be very unfair to only supply the larger ones since the smaller ones have been very good to us in the past. Not sure what else you expect to be done.
I have to repeat the same thing back to you, "mostly wrong."

After extensive tests using kivy screenmanagertest.py, there are still memory leaks or mismanagement. I reported the 'Segmentation faults' and 'Exception: FBO Initialization failed' in my forum entry in June 2018 but it still fails to work. Thus, "there are no longer any memory leaks" is wrong.

As for your "hidden" forum specifically for resellers, is that where Newark/Element14 got the information that those of us who ordered a RPi4B/4GB on 24 June 2019 will now be delivered in September? Their website says their expected 4GB model deliveries are as follows:
  • 1,500 Further stock expected to ship on 7/15/19
  • 1,500 Further stock expected to ship on 7/25/19
  • 372 Further stock expected to ship on 8/1/19
  • 1,500 Further stock expected to ship on 8/20/19
  • More stock available week commencing 10/14/19
Here's what Donte at Newark replied to my question asking when my RPi4B/4GB model will be shipped: "the ship date for all RPI4 orders is in September. I apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience this may have caused."

Thus, your statement, 'We are trying allocate those fairly across both large and small resellers," also appears to be wrong.

I have since place a 4GB model on order from OKDO and supposedly will get it in 12 days, unless they are denied product. I have also requested notification from PiShop.us and Chicago Electronic Distributors, all listed as vendors on the Raspberry Pi Foundation website.

jamesh

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 pm

FrankGould wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:53 pm
@jamesh

I have to repeat the same thing back to you, "mostly wrong."

After extensive tests using kivy screenmanagertest.py, there are still memory leaks or mismanagement. I reported the 'Segmentation faults' and 'Exception: FBO Initialization failed' in my forum entry in June 2018 but it still fails to work. Thus, "there are no longer any memory leaks" is wrong.

As for your "hidden" forum specifically for resellers, is that where Newark/Element14 got the information that those of us who ordered a RPi4B/4GB on 24 June 2019 will now be delivered in September? Their website says their expected 4GB model deliveries are as follows:
  • 1,500 Further stock expected to ship on 7/15/19
  • 1,500 Further stock expected to ship on 7/25/19
  • 372 Further stock expected to ship on 8/1/19
  • 1,500 Further stock expected to ship on 8/20/19
  • More stock available week commencing 10/14/19
Here's what Donte at Newark replied to my question asking when my RPi4B/4GB model will be shipped: "the ship date for all RPI4 orders is in September. I apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience this may have caused."

Thus, your statement, 'We are trying allocate those fairly across both large and small resellers," also appears to be wrong.

I have since place a 4GB model on order from OKDO and supposedly will get it in 12 days, unless they are denied product. I have also requested notification from PiShop.us and Chicago Electronic Distributors, all listed as vendors on the Raspberry Pi Foundation website.
OK. you think what you like. I'll know what I know.

Did you know for example that the RPF are not responsible for manufacture and distribution of the 2 and 4GB devices, only the 1GB? So all this slagging off of us with regard to supply should really be directed at Farnell and RS...of course we do talk to the suppliers, but there are limits to what can be done.

If you have a reproducible test case that shows problems, please report it on our github bug tracker. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

FrankGould

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Maybe someone should open the "HIDDEN" forum so we might better understand how mismanaged these products are. How would anyone learn that the 2 and 4GB models are manufactured by someone other than RPF? Here's what a search results provided:

Search found 0 matches: who manufactures 4B 4GB model
Searched query: who manufactures 4B 4GB model

A Google search returned nothing valid but "Buy a Pi 4" on the RPF website.

jamesh

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:17 pm

FrankGould wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Maybe someone should open the "HIDDEN" forum so we might better understand how mismanaged these products are. How would anyone learn that the 2 and 4GB models are manufactured by someone other than RPF? Here's what a search results provided:

Search found 0 matches: who manufactures 4B 4GB model
Searched query: who manufactures 4B 4GB model

A Google search returned nothing valid but "Buy a Pi 4" on the RPF website.
The fact that the majority of Pi's are manufactured under licence has been well known since just after day one. The ones that are manufactured by us are the Zero's and the 1GB Pi4. And things like the PoE, Sense and TV HAT.

HawaiianPi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:17 pm
The fact that the majority of Pi's are manufactured under licence has been well known since just after day one. The ones that are manufactured by us are the Zero's and the 1GB Pi4. And things like the PoE, Sense and TV HAT.
Yup. I have a 3B made in the UK, and another from PRC (China). I hear some are made in Japan (for the domestic market there). The original Raspberry Pi exceeded all sales expectations in ways no one could have imagined. Sony in the UK started making them to increase production volume, and now there are others as well (RS in the UK, and Embest in China, and I don't know who builds them in Japan).

EDIT:
So I just checked revisions on my currently running 3B and 3B+ models, and both 3B+ models were made in the UK by Sony. One 3B is also Sony UK, and the other 3B is Embest China. China boards say, Made in PRC (People's Republic of China). I know there was some early desire to get the UK models, based on unsubstantiated belief that they would be of higher quality, but having visually compared both types side by side, I'd have to say I think the PRC board looks "prettier" (likely due to different soldering methods). Performance, however, is identical.

FrankGould

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:43 am

I just received an email from OKDO indicating that my RPi4B/4GB model has been shipped from their UK Warehouse. If the other distributors can't ship until September, why are they listed on the official RPF vendor page? Fake news?

jamesh

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:28 pm

FrankGould wrote:
I just received an email from OKDO indicating that my RPi4B/4GB model has been shipped from their UK Warehouse. If the other distributors can't ship until September, why are they listed on the official RPF vendor page? Fake news?
? So, the cry of fake news goes out when some official suppliers have stock and some don't? Madness.

Andyroo

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:54 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:28 pm
FrankGould wrote:
? So, the cry of fake news goes out when some official suppliers have stock and some don't? Madness.
I praise your restraint - could I have the name of your support group as they would do wonders for me :lol:
You guys deserve a holiday - tell the boss I said you can take a couple of weeks off till the fuss dies down.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

FrankGould

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:46 pm

For more madness, why not add Target, Best Buy, and Amazon.com to your distribution list. That's just as misleading as the suppliers listed with no products to sell. Even Adafruit has no product. Crazy.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:05 am

FrankGould wrote:
For more madness, why not add Target, Best Buy, and Amazon.com to your distribution list. That's just as misleading as the suppliers listed with no products to sell. Even Adafruit has no product. Crazy.
OMG, it's madness! I think the solution is to build crappy products that no one wants. Then there will be plenty available. Yes, that's the ticket!

Get right on that, RPT. We need a Pi that really sucks!

jamesh

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 am

FrankGould wrote:
Do you have any understanding of economics or manufacture, or supply and demand at all? Your statement is nonsense.

We are making product as fast as we can, and trying to ramp even furthur. The fact is that people are buying it faster than we can make it!

Might be worth reading up on Cabbage Patch Kids, or watching the film Jingle all the way.

rpdom

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:39 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 am
We are making product as fast as we can, and trying to ramp even furthur. The fact is that people are buying it faster than we can make it!
Awesome. Do you have any figures to hand on how many of each Pi4B model have been made/sold so far? Just out of curiosity.

Return to “For sale”