Will you be interested in buying such a kit?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 16
evan gogh

Raspberry Pi Zero smart watch kickstarter

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:37 am

Hello there

I am from India. Our startup team is working on wearable technologies where Augmented Reality headset being the main focus.

As a side project, we build a smart watch using raspberry pi zero w. It have a 240x240 1.3" display, two 350 mAH Lipo Cells, touch screen, four input buttons, Battery Eliminator Circuit.
We developed all necessary software modules as well.

We are planning to 3D print its body.

Once it was made, I noticed that it can work as a DIY kit for hobbyists and people who want to have their own custom made smart watch. Imagine you can have a smartwatch with all the advantages of open source software and hardware.

So I am planning to give it to the community through Kickstarter. I have never done any Kickstarter campaign. I would like to get your opinions and ideas on the matter. What all other functionality do you need in such a kit. At what price point will such a project interest you.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Brandon92

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero smart watch kickstarter

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 pm

Did you calculate the battery life of this product. And is that time enough for the user?

B.Goode

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:48 pm

So I am planning to give sell it to the community through Kickstarter.

drgeoff

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:47 pm

IMO even a RPI Zero by itself is not small enough to be considered a "watch". By the time you add all that other stuff, a battery that runs for more than 30 minutes and a case .......

Andyroo

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:07 pm

I will admit I've just voted no but then though if you do one like this I would be a yes...
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

fanoush

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:59 am

evan gogh wrote:
Imagine you can have a smartwatch with all the advantages of open source software and hardware.
While Zero is great for lot of stuff it is not that good for low power battery projects like smart wrist watch. For that e.g. ESP32 module is much better fit (if you want to build one from scratch) and is even more open.

Also it is possible to flash custom firmware to many cheap fitness trackers based on nrf51 or nrf52 chips. nRF52832 with 64KB RAM and 512KB of flash ROM is good enough for smart watch (for some definition of 'smart'). These are typically for $10-$20 and can last 1-2 weeks on ~90mAh battery with Bluetooth LE turned on and paired to phone. My tip is DS-D9 if you don't mind OLED and do not want to open it for reflashing. I use it succesfully with Espruino. Or there are some with color screens but so far I did not find any which can be reflashed without opening as recent devices with color screens often implement firmware signing. My hot tip for really cheap one is GT-101 which is nRF52832 based according to internal photos here and was already disassembled and customized by one guy here. I recently ordered it from this seller (currently the price is really good, $12.63 for one, $23.26 for two) but I still wait for deliver so cannot 100% confirm it is indeed the right one (and as already mentioned you need to open it to access SWD pins for reflashing).

There are also other cheap hackable smart watches in ~$10 price range e.g. the DZ09 one based on MTK6261, see e.g. project here - these have more RAM however they last 1-2 days instead of weeks.

So there are lot of choices to have real smart watch with open source firmware.

evan gogh

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am

fanoush wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:59 am
evan gogh wrote:
Imagine you can have a smartwatch with all the advantages of open source software and hardware.
While Zero is great for lot of stuff it is not that good for low power battery projects like smart wrist watch. For that e.g. ESP32 module is much better fit (if you want to build one from scratch) and is even more open.

Also it is possible to flash custom firmware to many cheap fitness trackers based on nrf51 or nrf52 chips. nRF52832 with 64KB RAM and 512KB of flash ROM is good enough for smart watch (for some definition of 'smart'). These are typically for $10-$20 and can last 1-2 weeks on ~90mAh battery with Bluetooth LE turned on and paired to phone. My tip is DS-D9 if you don't mind OLED and do not want to open it for reflashing. I use it succesfully with Espruino. Or there are some with color screens but so far I did not find any which can be reflashed without opening as recent devices with color screens often implement firmware signing. My hot tip for really cheap one is GT-101 which is nRF52832 based according to internal photos here and was already disassembled and customized by one guy here. I recently ordered it from this seller (currently the price is really good, $12.63 for one, $23.26 for two) but I still wait for deliver so cannot 100% confirm it is indeed the right one (and as already mentioned you need to open it to access SWD pins for reflashing).

There are also other cheap hackable smart watches in ~$10 price range e.g. the DZ09 one based on MTK6261, see e.g. project here - these have more RAM however they last 1-2 days instead of weeks.

So there are lot of choices to have real smart watch with open source firmware.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

My plan was to have a smartwatch capable of handling some pretty good GUI based apps. The 240*240 display is using SPI protocol and I was able to get around 20 FPS. Not enough for good quality videos. But most of the static images and App UIs looked great on it. I think, to have a display of these type, we have to compromise the battery life. Also a board with higher computation power was needed. Basically this worked like a handheld computer to me. With around 25 gpio pins free to access.

Return to “For sale”